pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Good Peaking Article

Although I'm no expert, I thought the author did a good job of describing how and why our bodies "peak". His peaking strategy seems consistent with Joe Friel's Mountain Biking Training Bible and other training books I've read.

I'd be curious to hear what other mtbr training geeks think.

To peak or not to peak ? and why our bodies can fool us

From the article:
    "When we are going hard on the bike, our bodies aren’t saying, “Hey, I’m winning the race!” Our bodies are saying, “Man, I’m running away from a big lion!”

mtbr member
    Sounds like they are describing a little bit different take on peaking. But it's not going to change what anyone does really, it's just explaining another mechanism of peaking.

It's still the same 3 steps though: overload, recover, and supercompensation.

Nice to have Todd Wells contribute to article: “For me, it’s a two-month build up and I try to get it within a week… If it’s the optimal situation, I like to take a short break, six or seven days off or super-easy. Then a couple weeks overtraining with big volume, then a couple weeks of intensity, then a little rest and hit the target event.”

Still sounds like Base, build, peak to me.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Good Peaking Article

Great article. Thank you for sharing that.

mtbr member
    Agree, good article. But it has me wondering about something... Joe Friel recommends doing your FTP test on your first day back after a rest week. But according to this article, you are likely to feel slow and sluggish when you resume training after a break. Sounds like that might not be the best time to conduct an FTP test. I need all the natural painkillers I can get for a 20 or 30 min. all out interval!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm01 View Post
    Agree, good article. But it has me wondering about something... Joe Friel recommends doing your FTP test on your first day back after a rest week. But according to this article, you are likely to feel slow and sluggish when you resume training after a break. Sounds like that might not be the best time to conduct an FTP test. I need all the natural painkillers I can get for a 20 or 30 min. all out interval!
    I feel great after coming off of a rest week - basically 50% of previous week volume and intensity - per friel I think. Now if I took a week completely off, that might be another thing.

mtbr member
    I usually feel like dogcrap the first ride after a rest week. 2nd ride is better, then halfway through 3rd ride, I start feeling like the hard work has paid off. So I think I agree with the VN article.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks View Post
    I usually feel like dogcrap the first ride after a rest week. 2nd ride is better, then halfway through 3rd ride, I start feeling like the hard work has paid off. So I think I agree with the VN article.
    What does your rest week consist of compared to week before?

mtbr member

Good Peaking Article

I think you have to be careful about assuming that a rest week at lower volume and intensity is all you need. There isn't a set rule that after seven days you will be fully recovered and ready to train hard again, regardless of what you've been doing. You have to listen to what your body is telling you and use some judgement also.

Last year I was tending to do around six or seven consecutive weeks riding, and then resting. Typically I'd still be a bit tired even after a quiet seven days so I'd keep the intensity down for the next few days also, being quite prepared to use a fortnight for recovery if needed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottz123 View Post
    What does your rest week consist of compared to week before?
    In this case, by 'rest week' I meant no riding at all. During the race season I tend to do 'active recovery' weeks as I don't have time to totally restart and end up with that dip, but I don't think I get as much gain from active recovery as I would from true rest. I'm actually on a rest week right now as I don't have another race for a while and have some injuries that need healing. Hoping to build again to finish the last few races strong. Will be interesting to see how I feel Sunday when I start riding again.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    In addition to what the others said, there is a big difference between _feel_ slow and sluggish and _are_ slow and sluggish.