mtbr member

Giro Aeon Helmet

My new Giro Aeon helmet arrived so I tried it out today. It's a size medium in the Rabobank colour scheme.

The Giro Aeon is much lighter than the old Giro Ionos. When you pick them up it's very noticeable. The Giro Aeon in a size medium weighs 195g approx whilst the Giro Ionos in a size medium weighs 300g.

The big difference internally is that the Giro Aeon has been designed with long, very deep vents that run front to rear. It's a lot like the design of the MET Sine Thesis helmet whilst the Giro Ionos is more a series of triangles. The problem with the Giro Ionos was that if you got any wasps or bees into the central vent they would get stuck in the top of the helmet - shortly followed by a dramatic sliding stop and throwing the helmet off whilst being stung. The fit is more like the Giro Atmos than the Giro Ionos which suits my head. The new RocLoc 5 click lock system is easy to adjust and works well.

In use the Giro Aeon is a significant improvement over the Giro Ionos. You can really feel the wind blowing in through the vents and over your head as you ride. My head was sweating a lot less in the Giro Aeon and when I got home the pads were still fairly dry. Hardly any sweat ran onto my sunglasses whilst climbing either. On cold days it's probably going to be a little too well ventilated.

It seems like almost the perfect helmet for people who don't like wearing helmets because it's so light and well ventilated. Much better than anything I've used before. I'm trying not to fall off so I haven't crash tested it just yet.

Pictured below: Giro Aeon (orange/ white/ blue) compared to a 2009 Giro Ionos (red/ black/ silver)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giro Aeon Helmet-giro_aeon_front.jpg  

Giro Aeon Helmet-giro_aeon_rear.jpg  

Giro Aeon Helmet-giro_aeon_channels.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 07-16-2011 at 05:19 AM.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    I really can use a new helmet. My Giro Xen is permafunked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    can you flip your glasses up into the vents to hold them?

mtbr member
    Same question as above.

mtbr member
    There are a few different options for sunglasses. The picture below shows what seems to be the most obvious position. With a set of Oakley Radar sunglasses this position is easy to reach and seems quite secure. It's a bit of a stretch for the frames though.

If you're watching the Tour de France keep an eye on what the pros do with their sunglasses over the next few mountain stages. Half the field seem to be wearing Aeons' so you'll be able to see how they do it.

Edit: Updated picture for peabody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giro Aeon Helmet-giro_aeon_radar.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 07-16-2011 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Do the vents on your Radars make any difference?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can you flip them upside down and go into the
    same vents or even the lower set?

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    can you flip your glasses up into the vents to hold them?
    For truly a helmet is useless without that ability...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    You can hook the sunglasses into the widest outside vents of the Giro Aeon but it's a stretch. They're further apart than on a Giro Ionos so it's harder to do with the Aeon.

Watching the Tour de France stage on TV today the alternative "pro" way to store your sunglasses seems to be to turn them round backwards and put them behind your neck.

@newnan3: The Oakley Radar vented lens works quite well. You can feel the air blowing through the vents at speed which is nice on hot days and they hardly ever steam up.

The main downside of the Oakley Radar design is that the lens changing system isn't that good. You have to put your finger and thumb on the lens to pull it from the frame each time which leaves fingerprints all over it.

Oakley seem to have phased out a lot of the non iridium lense options as well. Oakley iridium lenses scratch easily so I always try and go for non iridium lenses as they're harder wearing. The lens in the picture above is a VR28 tint but I only use it on the road on sunny days. It's one of the lighter lens tints but still too dark if you're riding in the shade.

For offroad riding I prefer the persimmon (orange) option which increases contrast. It's light enough that you can still see where you're going in woodland.
    Last edited by WR304; 07-16-2011 at 05:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    sounds like you've crashed without one too many times.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    Naturally, 'cause you can't look all "Pro" if you can't hoist the shades up into the helmet vents.

Of course, that's actually just sour grapes coming from a full-time prescription glasses user who has no such option, at least not if I want to stay on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apparently there are two versions of the Giro Aeon helmet. There's a lighter EU version but then there's also a US version that weights a little more. The differences are down to the different standards that they have to meet.

The claimed weights are 190g for a EU size Medium compared to a claimed weight of 222g for a US size medium.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=3&t=85023

My helmet is the EU model. At 195g the actual weight was very close to the claimed weight on the sticker inside.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm looking at getting a new brain bucket also, don't know if I want to stick with the conventional Mtn/visor type or go with a super lite roadie type. I don't think i need the visor since I've gotten more into xc racing. I mostly ride single track for trainig and not much road.

What are the pros and cons of wearing the roadie type bucket vs a mtn bike type?

Can they take a couple of endos and crashes without having to buy a new one? Some XC racers like the roadie style because the visor gets in their way.

What are some of the opinions here?

Since my neck gets somewhat sore on endurance events, liteness is a big factor, but also looks, some of those roadie styles look goofy.

Want to make sure before dishing out 200.00 plus

Thanks,

mojo

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    I'm looking at getting a new brain bucket also, don't know if I want to stick with the conventional Mtn/visor type or go with a super lite roadie type. I don't think i need the visor since I've gotten more into xc racing. I mostly ride single track for trainig and not much road.

What are the pros and cons of wearing the roadie type bucket vs a mtn bike type?

Can they take a couple of endos and crashes without having to buy a new one? Some XC racers like the roadie style because the visor gets in their way.

What are some of the opinions here?

Since my neck gets somewhat sore on endurance events, liteness is a big factor, but also looks, some of those roadie styles look goofy.

Want to make sure before dishing out 200.00 plus

Thanks,

mojo
    After one real impact any vented-type helmet should be tossed.

Also, IMO most helmets look goofy

mtbr member
    I just got an Aeon yesterday. The old style folding arms M-Frames fit. I haven't been out for a ride yet but it's noticeably lighter than any other helmet I've picked up and fits better (on me) than any of my Bell helmets. Seems like it's cut higher in the front so hopefully it'll be easier to see up the road when on the drops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    My 2011 Giro Ionos is only around 265 grams in medium, while my Giro Aeon in medium is around 215 grams. So, the difference is only 50 grams.

(My crashed 2010 Ionos is around 300 grams, though)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The new Giro Aeon's are even cooler with different colors. I found them at activelifestore.com it's pretty cheap with free shipping

mtbr member
    I've been on three rides with the Aeon and I love it. Definitely feels lighter and better ventilated than my old helmets. I got mine on sale for $199 with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimFields View Post
    The new Giro Aeon's are even cooler with different colors.
    Most of the 2011 Giro Aeon colour schemes are quite plain and understated.

Giro Aeon Cycling Helmets

My favourite Giro Aeon colour scheme is probably the one that Alberto Contador has been wearing this year. The full length white stripes and yellow rear sections work well with the shape of the helmet. I doubt you'll be able to buy them in that colour scheme though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Giro Aeon Helmet-contador5.jpg  

Giro Aeon Helmet-contador4.jpg  

Giro Aeon Helmet-contador_aeon.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 08-09-2011 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Where have Giro added the extra weight in the US version? On the inside so it fits differently? I fit some Giro helmets well, but unfortunately since the Pneumo was replaced, not the high end road. I tried on a EU Aeon today in medium, and it felt acceptable for my shape head ... but perhaps a US one may fit better? Has anyone seen any reviews or comments which answer where the difference is?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pneumo rereleased in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    Where have Giro added the extra weight in the US version? On the inside so it fits differently? I fit some Giro helmets well, but unfortunately since the Pneumo was replaced, not the high end road. I tried on a EU Aeon today in medium, and it felt acceptable for my shape head ... but perhaps a US one may fit better? Has anyone seen any reviews or comments which answer where the difference is?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stillkeen View Post
    Thanks
    I think that it's possibly that the helmets have different buckles. Have a look at this weightweenies thread discussing the differences between the European and US versions of the Specialized Prevail helmet. The US version needed a different buckle in order to pass the Snell testing, which added around 25g to the helmet. The same thing probably applies to the Giro Aeon also.

Weight Weenies • View topic - Specialized Prevail helmet

Weight Weenies • View topic - New Giro helmet for Rabo and Garmin in Ronde van Vlaanderen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have been through 4 Roc Loc 5's on the Aeon, they keep disintegrating.

Anyone else having this problem?