bikerbert

Getting through an injury: what's your strategy?

I've been on the shelf for four weeks of eight for a hammie injury. Going nuts not being able to ride.

What do other people do when they are on the DL to keep from losing their marbles?

mtbr member
    sit ups, push ups, one leg spinning on trainer, etc... Keep the rest of the body as strong as possible so that you're back in A form more quickly.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Can you swim or do any sort of cardio? If you could, it may be a good way to prevent too much fitness loss.

If not, just pump the iron with the upper body! Better than nothing. Burn some calories and sweat a little.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Im on the shelf right now with 2 broken hands with pins in one after getting hit by a car on my road bike. Doc said no sweating till the pins come out so the best thing I could think of is doing 3 sets of 100 body weight squats with my feet pedal width apart with 3 min breaks in between. Im trying to do this every day until my pins are out and then I'll be on a trainer. I guess this wont help you too much with the bad hammie, but thought I'd chime in. I've had a pulled hamstring before and kept riding and it took forever to heal as a result. Sounds like you have a very severe one. Hope you heal up soon.

bikerbert

I've been using battle ropes for cardio. Yep, upper body and trunk is getting hammered! Makes it super fun to pick my daughter up.

I can go on roller to flat hikes, and the pt gave the thumbs up to casual rides around the neighborhood for about 20-30 mins.

Thanks to everyone whose chimed in.

Stank,

How did you end with the pins in the hands?

mtbr member
    I just have pins in my right hand, my left hand only has a broken thumb. I went over a guys hood who turned left in front of me and broke my hand hitting the pavement. I think my thumb broke when my hand ripped off my bars.
    How did you tear your hamstring?

bikerbert
    Wow, bummer. Being stupid is the real answer. The official answer is doing 90 foot sprints on a baseball diamond without being anywhere near prepared for them. The hammie let me know real quick it was a bad idea to sprint without training for it!

My penance was walking around Sea Otter without being able to ride. I think that was worse than the hammie pull!

mtbr member
    Ha! Thats funny, when I pulled mine it was from trying to stretch a double into a triple in an adult baseball league I used to play in. I thought that leg would never heal. It hurt all the time and would ache when I would drive for several years.
    That sucks about Sea Otter. At least you will have most of the summer left when you are healed up.

Registered Dietitian
    It sucks to realize that being extremely fit for endurance sports doesn't do a darn thing to maintain the ability to do explosive stuff like running sprints. Been there, done that

bikerbert

I used to play in the Sunday hardball leagues too. That was a blast!

bikerbert

Funny how the endurance gets the cardio systems primed but almost ruins you for everything else! Riding a bike has tightened me up more than ultimate frisbee or baseball ever did!

But, nothing beats flying through tasty single track in a thick redwood grove so ill take it!!!

mtbr member

I bought myself a tablet so that I could sit in a recliner chair with my feet up. Much more comfortable than trying to sit in an office chair at a computer with a leg injury.

As I'm able to move around a bit more now I've been walking for an hour a day outdoors on crutches in the morning and doing exercises plus some light weight training in the evening. It's not as good as being able to ride but being outdoors is still a great feeling after so many months of being housebound.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I'm just over a week out from a broken collarbone (and road rash -- lots of that) sustained in a crash during a crit last weekend. Right now, I'm just focused on resting and allowing my body to heal itself properly now so that I won't have to redo the recovery process later on. I guess that's the best advice I can give you, OP. I'm sure you know the difference between "good" pain and "bad" pain. For us mortals -- non-pros -- there's no real point to pushing through bad pain in order to get back on the bike more quickly.

I learned that lesson after two knee surgeries (cartilage damage) a couple years ago. After the first surgery, I went on a hiking/backpacking trip a few months before I really should have, which re-injured my knee and caused me to go back to the operating room a few months later. That was just about a year that I wasted because I didn't have the patience to wait two more months.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

bikerbert

Crits, had a few "souvenirs" from those myself.

If you dont know about it, Tegaderm for road rash. Miracle stuff!! You put it over it and you can shower pain free!

For some reason, when I've used it, the road rash seemed to go away a little faster.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbert View Post
    Crits, had a few "souvenirs" from those myself.

If you dont know about it, Tegaderm for road rash. Miracle stuff!! You put it over it and you can shower pain free!

For some reason, when I've used it, the road rash seemed to go away a little faster.
    Everyone espouses the miracle effects of Tegaderm. I haven't used it though -- when I got home from the ER for this crash I used up all the gauze pads that I had at home. Those weren't any fun when it came time to change them. After I used all those up, I picked up J&J nonstick pads, and those made life so much easier. They released me from the ER with topical Lidocaine so I used that before wrapping up bandages, and that made everything even better. But I didn't even spot the Tegaderm at my local Walgreens until just a few days ago, at which point I figured it would be cheaper to just stay with my bandage and tape routine. And now nearly all the abrasions are scabbed over and healing well, so there's no real need for something like Tegaderm.

I'd actually asked the nurse about Tegaderm in the ER. I don't really remember what he said, but it was something to the effect of "no." Either way, there's evidence that a covered wound, kept moist, will heal faster and with less scarring than an uncovered wound. That's what Tegaderm does -- it keeps the wound covered and moist.

If I were smart, I'd pick up some Tegaderm for next time. But let's face it: I race bikes because I'm not coordinated enough for any of the other sports. There's no room for smart in this brain.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ice that leg!

bikerbert

Doc cleared me! 100% and ready to go. Gym work doesn't cause ham pain, so PT says go for it there too. Just starting to train again, and WHOA MAMA, I think I'm looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks to reach a decent level of fitness on the bike.

Definitely makes me appreciate being uninjured!!!!!