Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: gel overdose

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    106

    gel overdose

    Is it possible?

    I completed a marathon xc today and since finishing have been in severe gastro-intestinal distress, stomach cramping, puking, the works.

    My nutrition during the race was simple - gatorade and gels, tried and tested countless times and I've never had a problem (although I have tried other combinations that have caused indigestion in the past).

    Weather was great, sunny and not too hot. Distance was slightly shorter than other marathons I've done this season.

    What did I change? I mixed my gels in a gel flask and the nozzle got clogged so I had to unscrew the top each time to take a swig. As a result, my swigs were a lot larger than usual. They were also a lot more frequent, maybe every 1/2 hour. Eating more was planned as I suffered at the end of my last marathon from not eating enough.

    I'm thinking maybe I overdid it? What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.Mc.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    208
    Sounds like you may just be sick, imo... But I'm no Dr. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: onlycrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    532
    I can see cramping from the gels, but puking makes it sound like you are sick!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,414
    Do you clean and sterilise your water bottles and gel flasks regularly?

    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Steril...blets%2064Pack

    If they get a bit mouldy that can affect you sometimes.

  5. #5
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,392
    Too many gels makes me want to hurl. But when racing feeling like I am going to hurl is, unfortunately, a pretty normal feeling.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  6. #6
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    For how long have you had these sympthoms? during the race? after the race? how long after the race? for how long did they last?
    Were you using bottles? how long was the race?
    Please answer all the questions

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253
    Were they all caffeinated by any chance?
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Guppie58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,443
    I just throw my bottles in the dishwasher.

    Quote Originally Posted by WR304
    Do you clean and sterilise your water bottles and gel flasks regularly?

    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Steril...blets%2064Pack

    If they get a bit mouldy that can affect you sometimes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    338
    Gatorade during a race has always made me feel like crap. It's got to be one of the worst drinks you can have for an aerobic / endurance event. Way too much high fructose corn syrup in that stuff.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fakie1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    891
    I thought you were supposed to drink plain water with gels? I used camelbak elixir with hammer gel with good success though.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    605
    It can be the Gatoraide + Gel mix....stick to something other than Gatoraide (worthless)

    or

    Dehydration...although you said it was not hot it can make you sick after the race

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    For how long have you had these sympthoms? during the race? after the race? how long after the race? for how long did they last?
    Were you using bottles? how long was the race?
    Please answer all the questions
    No symptoms during the race, they came on about a half hour after I finished and lasted about 6 hours. Then I felt fine.

    I was using bottles for the gatorade and gels. Water in my camelbak (I always take gels with water).

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy
    Were they all caffeinated by any chance?
    yes. yes they were.

  14. #14
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1072
    Gatorade during a race has always made me feel like crap. It's got to be one of the worst drinks you can have for an aerobic / endurance event. Way too much high fructose corn syrup in that stuff.
    So why don't you share the negative effects? Why is the WORST drink for an endurance event? how HFCS impair you during exercise?
    Stop posting nonsense!
    BBW. MS, RD

  15. #15
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_chick
    No symptoms during the race, they came on about a half hour after I finished and lasted about 6 hours. Then I felt fine.

    I was using bottles for the gatorade and gels. Water in my camelbak (I always take gels with water).
    stomach cramping, puking.....
    .....tried and tested countless times and I've never had a problem...
    ... Weather was great, sunny and not too hot. Distance was slightly shorter than other marathons I've done this season...
    I think you just picked something from sucking on the bottle (dirt with infected with bacteria's toxin or other toxic agent)
    If it would have been excess gels, you would had been feeling bloated and ful DURING the race and if the effort would have been too high with too much food you would have puked DURING the race.
    Lastly, they lasted 6 hours so that is not the body just getting rid of what you have in your stomach (if it was just gels/gatorade) because that goes out fast. your body was trying to get rid of a toxin.
    Its not unheard of people doing creek crossing or just any place that might have been infected and you just pick that up from the trail... that's one of the downsides of bottles
    Hope you feel better
    BBW. MS, RD

  16. #16
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,602

    I think the key is 6 hours of effects

    Your body was definitely processing something you ate and it didn't like. Did you have the same/usual flavors of gels/gatorade? do you usually use caffeinated stuff? Did you check the dates? Did you eat something someone gave you?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Richy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_chick
    yes. yes they were.
    Sounds like you may have had a bit of a caffeine overdose tbh. I had too many caffeine gels once and I felt dreadful about 30 mins after the race.

    Now I tend to mainly have normal gels and just one or two caffeinated.
    UK-Biking Shop now live - Also follow us on Facebook and Twitter

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    So why don't you share the negative effects? Why is the WORST drink for an endurance event? how HFCS impair you during exercise?
    Stop posting nonsense!
    Ok... So maybe tequila shots would be a worse drink. Gatorade dries out my mouth, makes me more thirsty, and after too much my stomach will start to feel queasy (the same feeling I get if I decide to inhale a large package of gummy bears ). I'm not entirely sure if it's the HFCS or something else, but I do KNOW that for me, that stuff sucks. I've heard better things about their newer "Endurance" product, but I've been over that brand since high school.

    After your response I did some reading online and did see that some endurance athletes are successfully using HFCS to aide them in races. Whatever works for you...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    So why don't you share the negative effects? Why is the WORST drink for an endurance event? how HFCS impair you during exercise?
    Stop posting nonsense!
    A lot of people find gatorade too sweet. After a few hours of riding, your taste buds get more sensitive, and it tastes really sweet, and can make you sick to your stomach, total gut rot. Also, gatorade has a PH of about 2 or 3, making it super acidic and tough to deal with hour after hour, adding to the gut rot. Not to mention, the damage the acid has on your teeth after hours swishing in your teeth. ADA has a warning about gatorade for that reason. And high fructose corn syrup and table sugar (which is in powdered gatorade) have 50% glucose/ 50% fructose for the carb content. A little fructose is okay, but at 50% levels it actually slows the absorption rate in the gut in comparison to a 100% glucose or a 2:1 Glucose: Fructose solution.
    Maltodextrin based drinks taste far less sweet, unless they have a ton of other sweetners added. Maltodextrin absorbs faster in the gut than glucose, giving it a glycemic index of 105-130 (depending on the study), where glucose is the benchmark at 100 on the index (fructose is about 70 because it has to be processed in the liver as well before being converted to blood glucose where it is used by your muscles). This faster absorption rate leads to less sitting in your stomach and more getting to your muscles. Some maltodextrin drinks are also a bit acidic, but not as bad as gatorade.
    All in all, I think gatorade is fine for shorter races where it helps absorb water faster in the gut than plain water, thanks to the electrolytes. But i also think if it works for you, then by all means use it.

  20. #20
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    A lot of people find gatorade too sweet. After a few hours of riding, your taste buds get more sensitive, and it tastes really sweet, and can make you sick to your stomach, total gut rot. Also, gatorade has a PH of about 2 or 3, making it super acidic and tough to deal with hour after hour, adding to the gut rot. Not to mention, the damage the acid has on your teeth after hours swishing in your teeth. ADA has a warning about gatorade for that reason. And high fructose corn syrup and table sugar (which is in powdered gatorade) have 50% glucose/ 50% fructose for the carb content. A little fructose is okay, but at 50% levels it actually slows the absorption rate in the gut in comparison to a 100% glucose or a 2:1 Glucose: Fructose solution.
    Maltodextrin based drinks taste far less sweet, unless they have a ton of other sweetners added. Maltodextrin absorbs faster in the gut than glucose, giving it a glycemic index of 105-130 (depending on the study), where glucose is the benchmark at 100 on the index (fructose is about 70 because it has to be processed in the liver as well before being converted to blood glucose where it is used by your muscles). This faster absorption rate leads to less sitting in your stomach and more getting to your muscles. Some maltodextrin drinks are also a bit acidic, but not as bad as gatorade.
    All in all, I think gatorade is fine for shorter races where it helps absorb water faster in the gut than plain water, thanks to the electrolytes. But i also think if it works for you, then by all means use it.
    pH (this is how's written btw) is NOT 2 or 3; obviously you have no idea what a pH of 2 will do. Your HCl acid in your stomach has a pH of 2 and that will make a hole in your hand if you touch it.
    Where's the study that says the buds get more sensitive?
    The dental problems occur because of sugar and you should flush your teeth with a little water if you're going to race for 12 hours and getting sugar anyway (carbohydrates)
    Maltodextrin does not absorbs faster than glucose
    Oh another thing, I just checked the gatorade powder.. sucrose and dextrose... NO HCFS so sorry... wrong again ;-)
    cheers
    Last edited by BBW; 09-02-2010 at 08:17 AM.
    BBW. MS, RD

  21. #21
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    A lot of people find gatorade too sweet. After a few hours of riding, your taste buds get more sensitive, and it tastes really sweet, and can make you sick to your stomach, total gut rot. Also, gatorade has a PH of about 2 or 3, making it super acidic and tough to deal with hour after hour, adding to the gut rot. Not to mention, the damage the acid has on your teeth after hours swishing in your teeth. ADA has a warning about gatorade for that reason. And high fructose corn syrup and table sugar (which is in powdered gatorade) have 50% glucose/ 50% fructose for the carb content. A little fructose is okay, but at 50% levels it actually slows the absorption rate in the gut in comparison to a 100% glucose or a 2:1 Glucose: Fructose solution.
    Maltodextrin based drinks taste far less sweet, unless they have a ton of other sweetners added. Maltodextrin absorbs faster in the gut than glucose, giving it a glycemic index of 105-130 (depending on the study), where glucose is the benchmark at 100 on the index (fructose is about 70 because it has to be processed in the liver as well before being converted to blood glucose where it is used by your muscles). This faster absorption rate leads to less sitting in your stomach and more getting to your muscles. Some maltodextrin drinks are also a bit acidic, but not as bad as gatorade.
    All in all, I think gatorade is fine for shorter races where it helps absorb water faster in the gut than plain water, thanks to the electrolytes. But i also think if it works for you, then by all means use it.
    50/50? there are many types of HCFS; how do you know is not 90/10? or 60/40?
    the ideal sports drink has MANY types of carbohydrates, simple and complex, including fructose. Like I posted before, there are other factors that influence gastric emptying and absorption
    Oh btw, if the ADA has a warning on Gatorade id because it was the pioneer. Its like the movie supersize me criticizing Mcdonalds... its not just mcdonalds that is crap... many other sport drinks have sugar! with off course glucose or sucrose being the worst for teeth health but you should brush your teeh anyway
    BBW. MS, RD

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_chick
    Is it possible?

    I completed a marathon xc today and since finishing have been in severe gastro-intestinal distress, stomach cramping, puking, the works.

    My nutrition during the race was simple - gatorade and gels, tried and tested countless times and I've never had a problem (although I have tried other combinations that have caused indigestion in the past).

    Weather was great, sunny and not too hot. Distance was slightly shorter than other marathons I've done this season.

    What did I change? I mixed my gels in a gel flask and the nozzle got clogged so I had to unscrew the top each time to take a swig. As a result, my swigs were a lot larger than usual. They were also a lot more frequent, maybe every 1/2 hour. Eating more was planned as I suffered at the end of my last marathon from not eating enough.

    I'm thinking maybe I overdid it? What are your thoughts?
    I'd say its doubful you overdosed. Could be you have just the touch of a bug. I execute my plan virtually the same ever race, sometimes I feel great (you know intestinally) after the race other times I'm pretty much hanging out by the toilet for a couple hours. You may also want to try taking an acidophilus or 2 as well.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    295
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAsn...e_gdata_player

    No problems for this guy. Wonder what he does that is different? Maybe beer prior to consuming Hammer Gel?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    pH (this is how's written btw) is NOT 2 or 3; obviously you have no idea what a pH of 2 will do. Your HCl acid in your stomach has a pH of 2 and that will make a hole in your hand if you touch it.
    Where's the study that says the buds get more sensitive?
    The dental problems occur because of sugar and you should flush your teeth with a little water if you're going to race for 12 hours and getting sugar anyway (carbohydrates)
    Maltodextrin does not absorbs faster than glucose
    Oh another thing, I just checked the gatorade powder.. sucrose and dextrose... NO HCFS so sorry... wrong again ;-)
    cheers
    Here's one study done on pH and dental decay of various sports drinks and it shows Gatorade with a pH of 3.05, it also shows that other drinks with a higher pH have less an effect of teeth decay:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...00001-0036.pdf

    Here's another study's results on pH and common drinks that shows Gatorade's pH of 2.73 on a paper test:
    http://biology.clc.uc.edu/scripts/phresl.pl

    My own personal experience has led me to realize drinking too much acidic drinks over a long period of time, gives me acid reflux.

    As far as taste buds getting more sensitive, do a search on this forum and you will find plenty of anecdotal evidence that after long hours in the saddle, people find drinks taste too sweet and too flavorful. I know it's a problem for me as well. I'm sure someone somewhere has done a study on it, but you can look it up for yourself.

    Typical high fructose corn syrup in drinks is generally 50% fructose, kind of a standard to equal what is in table sugar (aka sucrose). I'm sorry if you thought I was saying there is corn syrup in the powder, I meant corn syrup in the bottled liquid stuff and table sugar in the powdered form.

    If something has a glycemic index higher than a 100, it means it is absorbed and processed into the blood stream faster than glucose.

    I'm also sorry if you were offended by my double caps on pH, I have trouble with caps on my iphone sometimes.

    There have been studies on the 2:1, I'm too busy right now to look them up for you but here is one company's summary of it:
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/fructoseScience.html
    Basically if you get more than that 2:1 ratio of fructose, you either are not getting enough glucose, or too much fructose, which then gets left in the gut.
    I do agree that a varied source of carbs is the best approach. You just don't want to overdo ones that will just sit in your gut.

    I'm sorry if I didn't reference this stuff for you before, but I was just doing a quick response, purely from memory, on my iphone, to help you out.

    You sure have a lot of fancy letters behind your name, now if we could only find someone with Ph.D. in entomology to figure out exactly what kind of bug crawled up your ass and why.

  25. #25
    BBW
    BBW is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BBW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat

    You sure have a lot of fancy letters behind your name, now if we could only find someone with Ph.D. in entomology to figure out exactly what kind of bug crawled up your ass and why.
    bwuahahahaha that's a good one
    Its all about balance, you could have just fructose but the caloric content will play a role in gastric emptying. Fructose is not bad it just depends how much you get
    Lets see..
    First link... a case study (1 subject): imposible to determine cause-effect since there are many things involved so is not as easy as to say "yes, he drinks gatorade and his teeth are damaged because of that". NO although if you CONSTANTLY have crap in your mouth and don't wash your teeth we kknow what would happen
    "The regular and frequent use of sports supplement drinks by sports men and women can potentially lead to increased caries experience (dental decay) and to dental erosion.

    second link: don't ever EVER drink lemon juice + windex.... neither have yogurt because its pH it less than 5.5 and according to the first link could cause dental erossion....

    third link: don't quote something from a brand that is trying to sell me something... that''s not science
    Cheers and remember, NO windex
    Last edited by BBW; 09-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    BBW. MS, RD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •