mtbr member

Geek Boy Super Cool ToyZ

Super cool new fun and training tool.

I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 301 - uses GPS to compute all ride stats and includes a heart rate monitor. Best part is it's downloadable.

The stock software is OK, I found a better tool called SportTracks - it interfaces directly with the 301 and downloads all ride data. You can track all your stats...

It tracks cumulative mileage on as many different rigs as you want to track too. The 301 works for running also...and any other sport you want to keep track of mileage, altitude, etc.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Screen shot of today's lunch data in SportTracks:

Best of all for the geeks is it plots your rides...and even exports right into Google Earth! If you have not seen Google Earth...then you're missing one amazing FREE utility.

If you've got Google Earth...click on this link and it will open a plot to the ride I did today during lunch from work (9.17 miles):
    ftp://www.csbomb.com/GoogleEarth/Ute...rkFromWork.kmz

Here's a screen shot of a flat plot exported from SportTracks to Google Earth:

Same plot but showing 3d plot of Speed:

If you don't have Google Earth...download it and try the above link. It is amazing stuff, be sure to try the "pan and tilt" buttons to see the elevation profile of the plotted GPS tracks.
    http://earth.google.com

Now for me to simply put 2 and 2 together...take this cool new tool and actually do some TRAINING so I might be in some semblance of shape for G3!!!!!!!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice!...I've got an Edge 305 on order....should be here by the end of the month....Hope it works with the SportTracks software you linked to....

Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Super cool new fun and training tool.

I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 301 - uses GPS to compute all ride stats and includes a heart rate monitor. Best part is it's downloadable.

The stock software is OK, I found a better tool called SportTracks - it interfaces directly with the 301 and downloads all ride data. You can track all your stats...

It tracks cumulative mileage on as many different rigs as you want to track too. The 301 works for running also...and any other sport you want to keep track of mileage, altitude, etc.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Screen shot of today's lunch data in SportTracks:

Best of all for the geeks is it plots your rides...and even exports right into Google Earth! If you have not seen Google Earth...then you're missing one amazing FREE utility.

If you've got Google Earth...click on this link and it will open a plot to the ride I did today during lunch from work (9.17 miles):
    ftp://www.csbomb.com/GoogleEarth/Ute...rkFromWork.kmz

Here's a screen shot of a flat plot exported from SportTracks to Google Earth:

Same plot but showing 3d plot of Speed:

If you don't have Google Earth...download it and try the above link. It is amazing stuff, be sure to try the "pan and tilt" buttons to see the elevation profile of the plotted GPS tracks.
    http://earth.google.com

Now for me to simply put 2 and 2 together...take this cool new tool and actually do some TRAINING so I might be in some semblance of shape for G3!!!!!!!
    Last edited by revnine; 01-05-2006 at 07:44 PM. Reason: wrong post

mtbr member
    SportTracks will work with the Edge series too. I found out about them shortly after I odered my Forerunner 301. I had a wee bit of buyer's remorse until I realized they Edge series is cycling specific (I'm working on some cross training running). The Forerunner's killer multi-sport geek toys.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."