mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Gearing & Steering on tight courses?

Where I live and ride the courses are a combination of technical rock gardens and tight turns. The turns are sharp enough that they ride much faster after you learn where to brake so that you do not lose all of your momentum as you exit the turn.

I rode yesterday in my small chainring (2 x 10), but it was an accident. I always ride in the big ring (I live in TX) and I had forgotten that at the end of the previous ride that I did a spin-down in the small ring for the last 2 miles. Yesterday, I didn't realize that I was in the small ring until about 5 miles into the ride (my legs were before I began yesterday), but I definitely remember thinking to myself, "man, my handling is better today. I must be hitting each turn with the right amount of speed."

So, my post is a question about whether a large changes such as going from the big to the small ring would improve a bike's handling in tight turns?

Of course, the bike climbs better in the big ring (again, we have no mountains, but mostly boulders that climb best when you get more wheel revolution per pedal stroke). Strictly speaking about steering, does anyone suggest the small ring for sections with frequent tight turns?

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Your overthinking this. When you come out of a turn you want to be in a gear that allows you to pedal back up to speed quickly. I would guess the turns felt easier because you were coming into them slower.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    agreed, - not coming in too fast on an 'early apex', which allows for better exit speed (race car 101). Look ahead, and anticipate the gear you'll need when you exit the turn, that can cut down on hard shifts too.