Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

Gatorade tearing up my stomach?

I've read that you need to sip on a sports drink so I decided to pick up some Gatorade powder at Wal-Mart. I have been using it for about the past month and the last two weeks my stomach isn't quiet normal. I suspect this may be the cause and when I mix it stronger it does hurt my stomach. Can anyone chime in on this or do I need to add more details? If it bothers your stomach what did it do?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    hey rod,
    any sugary drink usually feels like it is tearing up my stomach. most sugary drinks use sodium chloride, which is a very salty salt, and have to mask the flavor with a ton of sugar.

also, gatorade is very acidic, and can sour your stomach easily. some gatorade has a pH of 2.43, but is usually closer to around 3.5 to 4. this is not good for your teeth or tummy.

i've tried a ton of other stuff. i like nuun the best. no sugar, and tasty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Man ,
    Get off of that crap.
    Give it time you'll be able to get that at your local MC Donald.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Google "make your own Gatorade" and you'll see any number of recipes to homebrew. Experiment until you find one that doesn't make you ill. If nothing else, its quite a bit cheaper than buying the real thing (although the powder is significantly cheaper than the liquid).

mtbr member
    try mixing it half strength.

It's about showing up.

More of a cytomax guy myself

I have a variety of different sorts of mixes we use on our High School Teams. Not everyone likes the same stuff. Flavor gets you to use it when you aren't paying enough attention to hydration. Tasty is good! These are made to be managed by the gut under stress. Generally stomach upset can be managed by reducing the concentration of these drinks, changing brands or watching the foods with which you combine. Also, a mistake I have seen often with new racers is to start out with a full mix in the bladder; racing can turn to projectile vomiting really fast. Again it is a matter of concentration; starting with water and adding a bottle of mix along the way is helpful.

Example; a 110 mile road ride in 114 degrees of heat. We drank more than twice as much water as Cytomax and water. At some point we WORE 2 times as much water as we drank. Our bodies could not process enough water to cool themselves. Fluids were taken internally in a mechanical fashion, not as needed, as we lost track of what was needed by stimulous alone. At that point we had much experience with the mix and stayed with an external plan for hydration and cooling, knowing that we were replenishing as best we could. I cannot imagine doing that ride without a good mix. It is possible that I could exist on a constant supply of mix but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    put a pinch of salt in some $1 cool-aid.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    put a pinch of salt in some $1 cool-aid.
    Salt is not a complete electrolyte profile and I wouldn't really recommend just adding it to any drink like that. And if sugar is part of the issue, the sugar sweetened versions of kool-aid certainly won't help (not that the OP mentioned that it was sugar, but nonetheless).

Personally, I tend to off the shelf products, but I know racers that make their own mixes. I've had good luck with Hammer products (HEED and Endurolytes), Clif bloks, and other gels. I've heard good things about Nuun tablets as well. They feature a more complete profile and some who don't want sugary drinks like these better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rbsd
    Salt is not a complete electrolyte profile and I wouldn't really recommend just adding it to any drink like that. And if sugar is part of the issue, the sugar sweetened versions of kool-aid certainly won't help (not that the OP mentioned that it was sugar, but nonetheless).

Personally, I tend to off the shelf products, but I know racers that make their own mixes. I've had good luck with Hammer products (HEED and Endurolytes), Clif bloks, and other gels. I've heard good things about Nuun tablets as well. They feature a more complete profile and some who don't want sugary drinks like these better.
    Look at a gator-aid label. It is essentially Water, Sugar, Salt with a bit of Potassium. Two tablespoons of lemon juice has about the same amount of potassium as a sports drink. Kool aid diluted to your liking + a pinch of salt (tiny tiny pinch) and a few drops of lemon juice and you have $1 gallon of gatoraid. Dilute the Kool-Aid further for a less sugary stomach destroying drink.

It is all marketing BS.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    mineral (sparkling) water
    lemon juice
    sugar
    salt

Mix together in ratios of your liking.

My two cents.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    I would check out the Hammer Nutrition web site. Read their info on stomach distress and simple sugars! You don't have to use their products, but since I have my stomach issues on long off-road and road rides has disappeared. I would also stay away from table salt as an electrolyte replacement, everything I have seen about this points towards possible bad reactions. From what I understand, it is a different form of what you really need and hence is not taken into the body quickly enough. Pretty sure I read it can have the opposite effect. Look towards a electrolyte replacement product, there are plenty on the market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    On most rides under two hours I would just drink water. Save your money. Take along some gummy bears or something if you need some sugar. Races are a little different and I will usually use gels and energy drinks for any race over an hour. Definitely experiment with energy drinks, but in my experience the simpler the better. I use one that a local guy has come up with and is selling, which is very easy on the stomach: www.carborocket.com.

Energy drinks have their place but I think there is a lot more marketing than actual science behind many of the claims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's funny how people react differently.... on the contrary, I find gatorade is the only sports drink I can stomach during a race and I have never hasd stomach issues. I find other mixes so chalky and dislike the taste so much that if I take them with me I will "avoid" drinking because the gag reflex is very unpleasant and not conducive to riding fast.

I am completely aware that gatorade is not the best out there, but at least I drink it during a ride. I invested in accelerade recently but as yet am unable to use it. I can just about handle endurox r4 as a recovery drink if I mix it with juice but not during a ride..... The OP on the other hand, should try accelerade. The chalkiness is most likely very settling for the stomach!

mtbr member
    I find Hammer Nutrition's HEED to be very easy to drink. Really mild. Plus the electrolytes and salt you need.

It's about showing up.

Normalizing intake

Part of the reason I recommend electrolyte drinks on rides is to help the body become accustomed to managing such foods. To put the body under maximum stress and then introduce a really potent food is just not a very promising situation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think your point about getting accustomed to foods/drinks on training rides is a good one. However, as for the need for electrolytes and sodium replacement, I think there is some healthy debate about their necessity and effectiveness. For some interesting articles on the subject of energy drinks check out the series of articles on dehydration and muscle cramping at this site: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008...-of-sport.html.

Personally, I view sports drinks as primarily a source of easily digestible carbohydrates.

Ride Responsibly
    Another vote for HEED from Hammer, I like that they use Stevia to sweeten it.
    Also start out using less than recommend and add more as needed depending on how you feel after your rides. just my worthless opinion!

Lusus Naturae
    I love Stevia but HEED is very, very, very, very, very mild tasting and always makes me wonder if I put enough even when I put more than the recommended amount for the mixture. Somehow with HEED I just feel like I"m not getting the sugars that keep me going, like with Cytomax ... and well, Stevia really isnt a sugar, its a sweetener. I like to have some sugar. Hopefully as I use up the HEED container i got, perhaps I will get used to it. We'll see.

Certainly for casual sports Gaterade is fine but mountain biking for a couple hours is far from casual. Try different types of drinks until you find the one you like.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance
    I love Stevia but HEED is very, very, very, very, very mild tasting and always makes me wonder if I put enough even when I put more than the recommended amount for the mixture. Somehow with HEED I just feel like I"m not getting the sugars that keep me going, like with Cytomax ... and well, Stevia really isnt a sugar, its a sweetener. I like to have some sugar. Hopefully as I use up the HEED container i got, perhaps I will get used to it. We'll see.

Certainly for casual sports Gaterade is fine but mountain biking for a couple hours is far from casual. Try different types of drinks until you find the one you like.

From what I understand Hammer makes their products very mild tasting, as some folks have advesre reactions to strong flavors during endurance efforts. I put myself in this group, the longer an effort goes on, the more strong or sweet tastes disgust me. Talking efforts 3.5 hours or longer. I use their unflavored products all the time on the road. But as it's been said before, everyone is different and you should try a bunch of stuff out and see what works for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have reflux and straight gatorade kills me. I have found that Powerbar's Endurance works very well for me. Also read the other day that Dave Weins supposedly uses it, so it can't be too bad. It is really mild and you can mix it to your preference.

mtbr member
    I have used the Gatorade powder mix and it is too acidic for my already acidic stomach to handle. I like the clif shotblocks and straight water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    same here, I have try gatorade powder mis, but it makes my throat sore and it hurts... so I can only drink a little bit after a ride. I stay with gels, or a different mix of fluids, Gatorade its not for me...

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    UPDATE: I rode 50 miles yesterday using straight water and a cliff bar with very little hammer gel. My stomach was fine after the ride, but around midnight it started to hurt, but not like it did last week. I'm not starting to think it's my diet. Sometimes I eat very healthy and then when I'm at work or something I eat the healthy options on a fast food menu. I haven't drank gatorade within the last week so I don't think it's the probelm.

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_chick
    It's funny how people react differently.... on the contrary, I find gatorade is the only sports drink I can stomach during a race and I have never hasd stomach issues. I fi

I am completely aware that gatorade is not the best out there, but at least I drink it during a ride. I invested in accelerade recently but as yet am unable to use it. I can just about handle endurox r4 as a recovery drink if I mix it with juice but not during a ride..... The OP on the other hand, should try accelerade. The chalkiness is most likely very settling for the stomach!
    I doubt I could drink something chalky. My stomach doesn't get that upset during the ride unless I'm extremely pushing it around max hr.

Quote Originally Posted by OnYourLeft
    try mixing it half strength.
    That's what I do and if you read my initial post you would've seen that. I mix it at half or less strength. At full strength it hurts me on the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips
    On most rides under two hours I would just drink water. Save your money. Take along some gummy bears or something if you need some sugar. Races are a little different and I will usually use gels and energy drinks for any race over an hour. Definitely experiment with energy drinks, but in my experience the simpler the better. I use one that a local guy has come up with and is selling, which is very easy on the stomach: www.carborocket.com.

Energy drinks have their place but I think there is a lot more marketing than actual science behind many of the claims.
    I've read that energy drinks help so many %, but I may try the gummy bears. I've been eating clif bars and they work well, but they're dry. I'll keep everyone updated when I find the culprit to my stomach issues. I did push hard yesterday up the hills, but if my stomach didn't get upset during the ride I don't know why it would 3 hours after the ride. It's strange, but I'm thinking it's my diet.

mtbr member
    Electrolytes added to filtered water, no sugar, and works great !

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've used honey dissolved in water, fairly diluted, but if you want glucose, nothing gets absorbed into the blood stream faster than honey. It's not to everyone's taste, but if you don't mind the taste it's worth a try. If electrolytes were added it might make a great sports drink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast