mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Gaining weight at the end of the season

This is my second season of racing and for the second consecutive year I have gained about 7-10 pounds towards the end of the race season.

In the off-season I tend to lose quite a bit of weight due to weight lifting and longer base mile rides. During the season I do more group rides, shorter but high threshold rides, and intervals.

I try to take it easy a few days before a race and I think I am "taking it easy" too much to get ready for these races. My times are still good but I feel they could be better being lighter.

Any suggestions to keep weight down throughout the race season? Thanks-

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    I'm the exact opposite in timing (I am at my lowest while racing), but in principle the problem still sounds the same as yours, in that I tend to benchmark my eating habits and caloric intake for an average week from my periods of highest activity, and am sometimes not diligent enough in reducing intake acordingly during periods of lower activity - in the sense of burning off calories.

It's hard to switch gears on eating habits for these periods (feels great to be able to enjoy eating like a horse and just burn it all off) but that's the reality if you want to keep weight more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post
    This is my second season of racing and for the second consecutive year I have gained about 7-10 pounds towards the end of the race season.

In the off-season I tend to lose quite a bit of weight due to weight lifting and longer base mile rides. During the season I do more group rides, shorter but high threshold rides, and intervals.

I try to take it easy a few days before a race and I think I am "taking it easy" too much to get ready for these races. My times are still good but I feel they could be better being lighter.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by The Novice View Post

The average racer, holding down a 40-hr/week job, doesn't usually have a high enough training volume to need to taper for every race. You'll see people (triathletes are notorious for this) beginning to taper 2+ weeks before the first race of their lives... it's a 2-hour race at most if it's a typical XC race. You can keep volume fairly high, just back off intensity. Maybe taper for 2-3 days before a primary target race (and only do a few of these per season).

I think I only truly tapered once this year, and outright trained through several races. No problems.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com