mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Friel Peak phase

How does everyone handle the Friel Peak phase?
    I'm about 2-3 weeks away from first A race.
    Have a good base and upping the Intensity throughout winter

Friel says a racelike workout every 3rd day with plenty of rest/easy rides between...sounds easy enough but...

How long is the hard/racelike workout?
    How long should recovery rides be?
    How many Hours per week ?

It's a tricky training time to get just right.
    How do you manage it??

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    How long have you been training for? Reason I ask is my Dad emailed Friel about me (less then 2 years cycle training at the time) and he told him to have me skip peak and treat all races as "B" races with a few days rest.

Otherwise you are leaving a lot of info out
    -training history
    -weekly hours
    -annual hours

It's not an easy thing and I think Friel admits that it is just as much 'art' as 'science' to peak right.

Before an event you should probably do something along the lines of:
    Rest a few days before event.
    for example day before race - 1 x 1 min race pace effort with spin.
    2 days before - 2 x 1 min race pace efforts with 2 min recovery between and spin,.
    3 days before - medium distance (for you) tempo ride

You could get the same idea from about 7th paragraph down in this article
    Joe Friel's Blog: Peaking

I will PM you friels email if I can find it

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for that.
    My training history is a bit complicated...raced seriously for several years 13 yrs ago had a kid,rode here and there for fun got back into it late 2011.
    Around 500-550 annual hrs last 2 years
    8-15 hrs a week depending.
    Did Friel years ago,last year just rode a bunch and raced.Started following the Friel plan again late fall.

I've got a good handle on what to do the week of the race.I'm curious what folks are doing 2-3 weeks before an A race.I know rest/recovery rides are key but interested in how long are the rides and when going hard how long?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    From local experts I know and following other forums, I really don't think many people are using a 2-3 week taper, unless they are using a coach, power meters and software.

The idea is great, but you may lose a lot of fitness if not done right - no guarantees you will improve compared to 'b' race type taper.

Just my two cents....
    Last edited by scottz123; 04-10-2013 at 04:02 AM.

mtbr member
    scottz123: I really don't think many people are using a 2-3 week taper, unless they are using a coach, power meters and software.

He is not talking about taper for those 2-3 weeks. He is talking about peaking.

Saucyjack, I hesitate to give advice, but here is what I do for peaking: I generally train 10-12 hours per week, with 2 high intensity, interval-based workouts and 2 endurance workouts. The other days would be recovery rides or low tempo rides or sometimes complete rest.

The high intensity workouts are basically:

20-30 minute warm-up
    30-60 minute intervals
    20 minute warm-down

For example this week I am doing the following intervals:

Tues: 6 minutes at 110% of FTP and 4 minutes recovery. Repeat 5 times. This gives a total of 30 minutes of riding at 110% of FTP.

Thurs: 1 minute at 135% of FTP and 1 minute recover. After 5 of these intervals spin for 5 minutes. Repeat 3 times. This gives a total of 15 minutes riding at 135% of FTP.

These are just examples, as there are hundreds of combinations that will drive you into the ground, if done right.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'd be still going hard 2-3 weeks - particularly with some race-like efforts. If you're on the road bike this means varying your wattage into different zones, including some definite hard on, slightly easier, than hard on type intervals as mountain bike racing is like that with race pace, drive a hill/technical section, more race pace (i.e. never sitting in and resting as in road racing).

I used a two week taper for an Ironman... for a mountain bike race I don't think you need to do that. I'd taper, for an A race, for 5-7 days max.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    scottz123: I really don't think many people are using a 2-3 week taper, unless they are using a coach, power meters and software.

Saucyjack, I hesitate to give advice, but here is what I do for peaking: I generally train 10-12 hours per week, with 2 high intensity, interval-based workouts and 2 endurance workouts. The other days would be recovery rides or low tempo rides or sometimes complete rest.

The high intensity workouts are basically:

20-30 minute warm-up
    30-60 minute intervals
    20 minute warm-down

For example this week I am doing the following intervals:

Tues: 6 minutes at 110% of FTP and 4 minutes recovery. Repeat 5 times. This gives a total of 30 minutes of riding at 110% of FTP.

Thurs: 1 minute at 135% of FTP and 1 minute recover. After 5 of these intervals spin for 5 minutes. Repeat 3 times. This gives a total of 15 minutes riding at 135% of FTP.

These are just examples, as there are hundreds of combinations that will drive you into the ground, if done right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post

Saucyjack, I hesitate to give advice, but

Sorry Serious, I thought a 30-50% drop in volume would be considered a taper in Joe Friels Peak Period.

"These workouts gradually get shorter as you progress through the first week or two of the Peak period. With the workouts getting shorter the weekly volume is also dropping. That's good. It should drop rather rapidly. Something such as a 30% to 50% drop each week is about right." Joe Friel
    Joe Friel's Blog: Peaking

Peaking is not about "driving yourself into the ground"

"One of the most important but least understood times in the season is the Peak period which usually starts two to three weeks before an A-priority race. If training goes well in this period you can come into great shape on race day. If it goes poorly much of the work of building up to the A race could be wasted. It's a critical time."

"There are two mistakes often made in the Peak period. The first is training too hard. What's needed now is some mixture of rest and hard training with an emphasis on rest." Joe Friel
    Last edited by scottz123; 04-10-2013 at 08:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BermudaBrown View Post
    I'd be still going hard 2-3 weeks - particularly with some race-like efforts. If you're on the road bike this means varying your wattage into different zones, including some definite hard on, slightly easier, than hard on type intervals as mountain bike racing is like that with race pace, drive a hill/technical section, more race pace (i.e. never sitting in and resting as in road racing).

I used a two week taper for an Ironman... for a mountain bike race I don't think you need to do that. I'd taper, for an A race, for 5-7 days max.
    Agree +1
    Last edited by scottz123; 04-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Saucy

Did you see the latest Joe Friel Blog? I thought quite coincidental with your question.

Titled: Tapering and Peaking Review

Joe Friel

so i guess maybe tapering and peaking are related....