Paste eater

Frames for Budget XC build

I'm planning on racing beginner class this coming spring and am looking for some frame suggestions for a budget(ish) build I can work on over the winter.

Some background on me: I'm an experienced rider, but have never raced before. I already have a Titus Motolite. Sure I could race it but It's build is pretty far from XC with 20mm axle (pike coil), 2.35 tires and so on but I'd like to at least start working on a dedicated XC bike.

I prefer value over weight savings and I'd also prefer full suspension. I've seen some good deals on Giant Trance frames and while they arn't "true" XC bikes, with the right build they would be a good deal lighter than my Motolite? right?

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    race what you have for a year and then decide what you want to build. I have a freind that races expert with a 30+lb 6" travel bike. He places in the top 25% of his races. Next year he will finally build his xc rig as he is at the point now that his bike is really holding him back. All i am trying to say is it is more about the rider than the bike. If you already have a motolite that will make a great bike for the first year. Put some narrower tires on and go have some fun.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    You didnt say how much money you have to spend. But for less than $500 you can find a used sub 25 pound hardtail thats race ready on Ebay. For around $700 you can find a used Giant NRS 1 or 2 thats probably only 2-3 years old. The used NRS bikes are one of the better deals because they were replaced by the Anthem. Unless youi have a lot of parts laying around its usually cheaper to buy a complete used bike.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    You didnt say how much money you have to spend. But for less than $500 you can find a used sub 25 pound hardtail thats race ready on Ebay. For around $700 you can find a used Giant NRS 1 or 2 thats probably only 2-3 years old. The used NRS bikes are one of the better deals because they were replaced by the Anthem. Unless youi have a lot of parts laying around its usually cheaper to buy a complete used bike.

I have a quite a few parts laying around.

Couple Forks, headsets, bars, front der, rear X.9, Hayes XC, couple seatposts. That being said, I've thought about just buying a bike and making upgrades as $$$ permits.

The NRS is tempting. Are you talking 700 for the whole bike? I think i've seen used NRS frames for under 500. If I do go with the "whole bike" option it won't be for a little bit but I'd like to keep it under 1K

mtbr member

Ebay Completed Listing

Plenty of bikes are sold cheap on Ebay and in fact a lot of very nice bikes, especially this time of year when interest is so slow. This is also the time of year where team riders can purchase new bikes for half off so they are usually motivated to sell their rig they may have only raced one or two years. Bottom line right now there are more sellers than buyers. It changes after the first of the year.

If you havent done this before go to Ebays Advanced Search and then run your search checking the box for "completed listings". That will show you what the bikes have sold for in the past three weeks. If you look close you will find an NRS1 that sold for only $660.

MTB B'dos

'Cause I'm feeling super nice today

Well if you're seriously considerng an NRS and live in CA then Wheelworld has '04 frames for $199. http://wheelworld.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=2709

Oh yeh you've got to be a big boy like me though since they only have 22"/XL left.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0