mtbr member

Fox Suspension: ICD or CTD for Racing?

I thought about posting this in the suspension forum but I wanted racer's opinions...

I've been a Terralogic fan for racing, it's just so simple and exactly what I wanted. Set it and forget it efficiency. But Fox no longer offers that for 29ers. So my choice now is their new ICD or CTD systems. I've a ridden CTD fork and it was good, just three levels of compression damping basically with the climb mode being an almost lockout. But it's just a lever to reach for and flick, possibly to the wrong position, during a race.

I've never ridden their ICD products however and I'm curious if anyone else has, and if it's worth the extra weight. Whether it's just for a fork on a hardtail or having both the fork and shock ICD on a dually.

Thanks!
    Thank you Lord for strength, endurance, and salvation.

Race Reports & Updates
    Team Santa Cruz / Fox Facebook Page

mtbr member
    Have you decided on a particular bike that you would be using it on, or are you still undecided?

This Pinkbike article explains Fox ICD quite well:

Fox iCD Suspension: Electronic Warfare Begins in Earnest - Pinkbike

The Fox ICD system is an electronic lockout for the fork and rear shock. It does the same as the cable operated CTD handlebar remote which can control a fork and rear shock also, although the cable operated remote gives you three adjustment positions.

32 FLOAT 29 100 FIT CTD Remote Bike Fork | FOX

I think a lot of it comes down to your personal preference. Would you use a handlebar mounted remote a lot if it was fitted? If you prefer fit and forget then a standard Fox CTD fork and shock without any remote control could be best.

If you'd definitely be using the remote then the electronic ICD setup looks as though it has the edge on ease of use over the bulky cable operated Fox remote. With its fingertip operation you aren't going to need to loosen your grip on the bars using the electronic remote. Did you watch the world cup round at Mont St Anne in 2012 where Catharine Pendrel won using the Fox ICD system on a full suspension bike? It looked to be pedalling really well on the smoother sections, and then on the steep rocky downhills she was able to take advantage of full open suspension for a visible advantage also.

Apparently there are 20 different settings that the ICD "locked out" setting can be turned to so you could fine tune the system a bit. It isn't clear how easy it is to do that though as the Pinkbike article says it's done at the factory.

"Fox said that the Factory offers 20 different tunes for iCD forks and shocks that range from full lockout to various levels of pedaling platform. Our suspension setup had an aggressive 'trail' tune, which translates to a healthy amount of pedaling platform in the closed 'Climb' position and smooth, nearly wide open compression damping in the 'Descend' position." Pinkbike.com

Another option to consider if you were happy with the Terralogic fork would be to get a Rock Shox Sid 29 fork, and then have a Specialized Brain cartridge retrofitted into it. The brain cartridges are available seperately and fit in a standard Rock Shox Sid 29 fork so that would be a viable option to look at too if you wanted to keep using a platform fork.
    Last edited by WR304; 02-06-2013 at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Have you looked into just purchasing the Terralogic cartridge from Fox? I had looked into this before and also have seen some on eBay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Why does everyone keep saying Fox isn't making the Terralogic for the 29er this year?

I thought they had finally updated their website to show it? Anyhow. Fox is making a 2013 Terralogic 29er fork (both tapered and straight). I have two of them myself

Plenty of places are selling them on the web and your LBS can give Fox a call and have one on the way.

I think they perform better than the CTD for a race bike. Although the electronic control is pretty slick, I would go with the terralogic for now. In another few years... I bet the weight hit on the electronic will be nonresistant and the performance even better.