Thread: Fox ctd

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Fox ctd

So I was checking out the new 2014 Rocky Mountain Vertex today. I hoped on and rode it round a bit and started checking out the fork. I only have experience riding with the RS SID so FOX is new to me. I noticed pretty fast that there was no lock out on this model of FOX (32 Float 29). This surprised me as it seems like pretty much every race level fork these days has a lock out of some kind.
    Does anyone have expertise or experience with the CTD version of these FOX forks? Why ditch the lockout?
    And do you find the lock out feature on the front fork is important or less imperative for an amateur XC race?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Climb setting on the CTD forks is not totally locked out, but it is quite firm and close enough as far as I'm concerned. Most of my climbing involves rocks and roots, so I like to have the suspension doing its job anyway. The only time I use the Climb setting is on a long smooth climb like a fire road.

I don't think a lockout feature is that important, but I guess it depends on the type of terrain you race on.

psycho cyclo addict
    +1 works very well on my 2014 120mm CTD fork. I use the Climb setting with some regularity on steep stuff (and forget to switch to another setting on descents occasionally too ehehehe). I also have a Reba Team 120mm that locks out completely and a rigid steel Niner fork on two other rides...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been asking around the guys on my team. the vast majority admitted that they almost never use their lockout. The more I thought about it, I realized that I too almost never bother.
    So it sounds like I am going to take the plunge and give er a try!

mtbr member
    I just leave mine on Descend.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5