mtbr member
    Jul 2006

fork recommendation

I just started racing this year. I'm racing an older (2000) Sugar 2. I've upgraded the wheelset and most of the components, but am still using the original fork (SID).

I'm thinking about buying a new fork...what fork gives the best "bang for the buck"? will I notice a big difference by dropping the coin on a top of the line fork? or should I just service my old one until I buy a new bike at the end of this season?

tia

I love Pisgah
    You'll get all kinds of answers, but for the $, prolly the Reba Race or R7. Either Fork(especially the Reba. It feels as good or better then my 2x$ Fox 100RLT) will feel lightyears better then your old Sid. You'll be amazed even.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    You'll get all kinds of answers, but for the $, prolly the Reba Race or R7. Either Fork(especially the Reba. It feels as good or better then my 2x$ Fox 100RLT) will feel lightyears better then your old Sid. You'll be amazed even.
    How about the new SID forks?
    Mine does not have the lock out and seems infinatly adjustable....
    I'm curious how it stacks up to Reba Race......

I love Pisgah
    Not even close.

I'm just not a fan, personally. Altho I've tried to be.. Meaning I've tried to like(light as hell, and I think they look good) the Sids off and on for years hoping it'd get better some day, but alas... The later samples I've ridden and raced, to me..work worse then my old 01 Sid that I have still in service at the moment on a beater HT. Too little overlap between the upper/lower sanctions is really the culprit(look where the top seal/wipes are relative to where the V-brake bosses are=supershort lower sanctions=less overlap) more so then the smaller sanctions. This leads to it sometimes wag'n its head, so to speak on climbs, and otherwise deflectiing its way down a nice SE techy descent. It also doesn't usually get full travel. More like 2.5". And some Sids..when the return damping is turned up to where it works better in my view..the fork starts making a clunking sound(when called about this, the RS tech told me to just turn the damping off for the most part..??) I'm a core weightwennie thru and thru..but to me the .5lb penalty can be saved some place else in this case and reap the benefit of a better fork(the more I race, the more I know that .5lb gained with a Fox or Reba ain't gonna make a bit of diff anyway cause its whos strongest the longest). My disc XTC HT with a Fox RLT still weighs only 20lb 4oz(RRalph/Karma tires).

..a way better 3lb fork is the unknown old 01 Noleen Mega Air. 100mm x 32mm stiff arse plus air dampened fork. Works as good as the Fox also, and with less bushing slop(as does the Reba over the Fox). I have 2 of them. Both now leak down tho.... and no parts are avail anymore since its been long desc.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa..........first off, what kind of racing (now or eventually), where, and how much ya weigh?
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I didn't want to hijack this thread but.....
    I'm 165lbs now.....I intend to race this bike.
    I havn't noticed any wagging, but out of the saddle climbs are....interesting.
    The decents are where I'm trying to make them work the best. Still searching for the great tire combo for out here (lots of sandy type corners.) Tire pressure changes, technique etc. etc.
    Pin pointing any one area that needs the most improvement is easy. Conditioning of the engine!! But I realy would like to find a nice carving tire. Anyone know where I can find a set of vintage Ground Controls?

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread......

Rick

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

reba vs. sid

thanks a lot for the info. I'm convinced, I'm definitely going to upgrade

it looks like I can get either a reba race or a sid race for about $400. I'm leaning towards the reba since it seems like it will handle technical riding a little better and I got smoked in the tech sections in my last race!

I'm hesitant because of the weight penalty...will I notice that extra .5 lb? will it affect my climbing? I tend to climb ok, so I don't want to screw that up. like I said, I'm pretty new at this so not sure how these different changes will affect my racing experience.

thanks again

mtbr member
    I've owned a SID as well. It's a noodle. Too flexy. Works well on the wife's bike though; she weighs 115.

I have the 2003 Sugar 2 and it originally had a fox talus, and now I have a Fox F100.

No question, any fork will steer and perform better than the SID, and it's performance is inversely proportion to your body weight (the heavier you are, the crappier the SID is). But fork height is something to consider.

The reba will probably a be taller fork than the SID, so it will change the geometry of your bike a bit and it's handling. I think you'll like it better.

I think taller was better for me. I was happiest with the 5" Talus up front with the Sugar. Really got to lean forward to keep the front end down on super steep climbs, but oh so sweet on the downhills.

Also, that extra 0.5 lb is all in your head. If you weigh 165 and your bike weighs 25 lbs, your system weight is 190 lbs. Now your 190.5. That is a weight change of 0.26%. Not much at all in the general scheme of things.

And as someone said earlier, it's the best half pound you could add to your bike.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 05-09-2007 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    that's where my question about weight comes in to play. If you don't weight so much, for the SID or R7 I'd say < 130 lbs, they won't feel so noodly. I weigh 145 and the skareb (r6 predecessor) felt like a noodle. Go with the Reba.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

Members who have read this thread: 0