Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,430

    "Forbidden races"

    The story about Pro-team riders in the US not being able to do non-federation sanctioned races is apparently not quite accurate.

    Apparently any rider with a UCI license in any country cannot do a race not sanctioned by a federation.

    Clarification of UCI Rule 1.2.019 and related sanctions - USA Cycling

    Hopefully all of our race promotors and our national federations can work together and come up with a solution.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    101

    "Forbidden races"

    Solution should be to pull out of USAC

  3. #3
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,718

    "Forbidden races"

    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The story about Pro-team riders in the US not being able to do non-federation sanctioned races is apparently not quite accurate.

    Apparently any rider with a UCI license in any country cannot do a race not sanctioned by a federation.

    Clarification of UCI Rule 1.2.019 and related sanctions - USA Cycling

    Hopefully all of our race promotors and our national federations can work together and come up with a solution.
    I call on all Pros and other UCI licensed cyclists to enter events as "Pat McQuaid".
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  4. #4
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    Endorphin Junkie
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,178
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I call on all Pros and other UCI licensed cyclists to enter events as "Pat McQuaid".
    Well said!
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  5. #5
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by vtskibum View Post
    Solution should be to pull out of USAC
    That is a solution. We shouldn't just say USAC because this "clarification" affects all countries.

    Every fall my wife and I organize a grass roots cross series. The races are sanctioned through our federation and are dirt cheap to enter. If you have UCI license they are $10, otherwise they are $20. At that entry fee we actually make a bit of money and, thanks to sponsors, have a decent price selection. Our federation makes it really easy to put these grass roots series on.

    However, there are many MTB races that are unsanctioned. Some of these races are charging huge entry fees and rarely is there any prizing. As both a racer and an organizer I have a bit of an issue with this.

    I know in the past there was, for lack of better words, "a huge pissing match between organizers and federations". If two groups could get over the past and work together we would probably see better races and lower entry fees.

    Wouldn't it be nice if you only had to pay for insurance once, when you bought your license, rather than for every single race you enter. Or if there was some sort of consistence in the categories from race to race.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rallymaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The story about Pro-team riders in the US not being able to do non-federation sanctioned races is apparently not quite accurate.

    Apparently any rider with a UCI license in any country cannot do a race not sanctioned by a federation.
    ... but USAC is the only one that is really enforcing this rule... other countries not so much.

  7. #7
    I should be out riding
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    ... but USAC is the only one that is really enforcing this rule... other countries not so much.
    That may be why the UCI issued this letter.

    USAC doesn't help the sport in my opinion. OBRA and unsanctioned events do a much better job of growing the sport.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Guppie58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    That may be why the UCI issued this letter.

    USAC doesn't help the sport in my opinion. OBRA and unsanctioned events do a much better job of growing the sport.
    I head about this on Monday and thought it was an April fools joke. I'm still in denial that it's real.

    IMO this has very little to do with the advancement of the sport. It's about control and money.

  9. #9
    LMN
    LMN is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,430
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    ... but USAC is the only one that is really enforcing this rule... other countries not so much.
    I can tell you that the rule is also going to be enforced in Canada. But it is a bigger issue in US, there is a lot more races that are not under the umbrella of the USAC.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,718

    "Forbidden races"

    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I can tell you that the rule is also going to be enforced in Canada. But it is a bigger issue in US, there is a lot more races that are not under the umbrella of the USAC.
    The more non-USAC races there are the less USAC matters. Stop supporting USAC/USAC races and they and the UCI have no hold on you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    153
    It is sad that the USAC wants to get money for the races that are put on by volunteers of local clubs. Our local club has several races and a small series and the money goes back to the riders and into the trails. We now have 2 mountain bike parks and 2 more that we are working on all with volunteer labor and local bike shop support. I have raced a few USAC events and paid the one time race fee and thought about getting a license, but not anymore.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    141
    So any UCI license and USAC Pro's licensed rider are effected? How big of a pool is that? Am I missing something?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    153
    If you are against the rule you can sign this petition.

    http://www.change.org/petitions/usa-...i-rule-1-2-019

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,718

    "Forbidden races"

    Quote Originally Posted by Drider85 View Post
    So any UCI license and USAC Pro's licensed rider are effected? How big of a pool is that? Am I missing something?
    Anyone with a USAC license (and every other national federation) is affected as per the latest letter from McQuaid.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flucod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    567
    Just ban USAC like we did years ago with NORBA. Look how that turned out, for the better.

  16. #16
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,501
    I wish I could get by without a USAC license but there is zero XC or CX racing in my area that is non sanctioned. A few Marathon style events but thats it!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    63

    "Forbidden races"

    My initial reaction to this has changed after LMNs comments. If it is cheap for an event to be sanctioned by a federation, why not be sanctioned? Having consistency with insurance etc. can only be a good thing in my mind.

    I would love to hear about the hurdles race promoters have in getting their events sanctioned. Does USAC make it harder than Cycling BC/Cycling Canada? If Interior Cross, the series I think LMN is referring to can be sanctioned at a very reasonable cost then why not all races?

    I love the fact Pros such as Pendrel, Kabush, Guthrie etc. participate in local events. It is a huge inspiration and motivator for me and others. The only way this will continue is for everyone to get along. Most people seem to have the attitude 'screw the establishment', but why? I only have experience with Australian/Canadian federations, they appear to do a lot for our sport. Is USAC really that bad in comparison?

    Please, inform my ignorance.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dan4jeepin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    220
    I don't think it is always cheap, I know a local grass roots racing series that was approached by USAC to become sanctioned events. It would have raised his cost to run the races by $1000 dollars which would have to be passed on to the racers. If USAC is so great then organizer will come to them no need to force people to choose. The only reason to have this rule is to force riders into USAC only events which will force organizer to go to USAC or quit having races.

    After seeing this letter I plan to not race anything related to USAC.

  19. #19
    mnoutain bkie rdier
    Reputation: rydbyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,768
    From what I understand, I hold a USAC license....not a UCI license. I am not a pro, but race Cat 1 mtb.

    This whole thing does not specifically apply to me from what I understand. Am I correct?

    Isn't a UCI license for those who race internationally...aka international pros?

    The clear issue I have with this at the moment is knowing that many of the pros that I see at some of the local races may never show up again. That would be lame and therefore frustrates me quite a bit.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rubystreet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    288
    According to the Velonews article, this rule affects about 3,000 racers(assuming that's road,mtn, and cx?). For MTB, only Pro riders have a UCI license, which is why the pro license is $150 and a Cat1 is $60. Cat 1&2 guys are not affected by this as they do not have an International license (please correct me if I'm wrong).

    I upgraded to pro last fall, but I'm surely just a dirtbag racer that likes to do the fun races around Colorado, some USAC, but most not. I'd love to know if I'm actually gonna get my letter informing me of a 50-100 dollar fine and one month suspension. That's funny. But what happens when I don't pay it?? No more USAC races forever? If I ever try to buy a One-Day on race morning, will someone actually cross-reference my name and keep me from racing?

    It seems like the best option for guys like me is to just downgrade back to Cat 1. No money to the UCI. No hassle from USAC.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    From what I understand, I hold a USAC license....not a UCI license. I am not a pro, but race Cat 1 mtb.

    This whole thing does not specifically apply to me from what I understand. Am I correct?

    Isn't a UCI license for those who race internationally...aka international pros?

    The clear issue I have with this at the moment is knowing that many of the pros that I see at some of the local races may never show up again. That would be lame and therefore frustrates me quite a bit.
    You are fine.

    I had this conversation with my boyfriend last night. Not that I am anywhere near being pro level, or even cat 1 yet, but I told him that if I ever got to that level I would probably just stay cat 1 and not go pro because living in CO/WY most of the races are unsanctioned and I still would want to race in them. He thinks I'm silly for thinking this way, and I think he's deluded in what being a "pro MTBer" means (he thinks pros get paid a ton of money and only ride bikes all day long...). But I know a lot more people have to be thinking this way... why go pro if now you can't race in a lot of awesome races?

  22. #22
    <100%
    Reputation: jsj3831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    If you are against the rule you can sign this petition.

    http://www.change.org/petitions/usa-...i-rule-1-2-019
    Signed. USAC could make it very clear that they wil pay lip service to this rule and do nothing more than issue warning letters for 2013, while working to change the rule. They have a fight to fight either way. They can choose to advocate for their base - the athletes that pay their dues or the international sanctioning body. Their choice is beyond my comprehension. Stand up for your people or lose any semblence of legitimacy.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    My initial reaction to this has changed after LMNs comments. If it is cheap for an event to be sanctioned by a federation, why not be sanctioned? Having consistency with insurance etc. can only be a good thing in my mind.

    I would love to hear about the hurdles race promoters have in getting their events sanctioned. Does USAC make it harder than Cycling BC/Cycling Canada? If Interior Cross, the series I think LMN is referring to can be sanctioned at a very reasonable cost then why not all races?

    I love the fact Pros such as Pendrel, Kabush, Guthrie etc. participate in local events. It is a huge inspiration and motivator for me and others. The only way this will continue is for everyone to get along. Most people seem to have the attitude 'screw the establishment', but why? I only have experience with Australian/Canadian federations, they appear to do a lot for our sport. Is USAC really that bad in comparison?

    Please, inform my ignorance.
    I would think antitrust laws would prevent such practices, since having monopolies is never a good thing. That is why I am surprised at this move.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

  24. #24
    FasCat Coaching
    Reputation: sprocketjockey9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,129
    This is my response>
    I had planned on racing a few Pro XCT's, Nationals, State Champs (which is really only 1 of 2 sanctioned races in Colorado)... but forget it at this point. The handful of USAC races I did, I spent loads of money to attend, but their fun factor compared to the good races wasn't even close.

    If USUCK decides to stand up for us, I'm willing to roll with the punches and sort this out. But for the moment, I've decided to race unsanctioned stuff all year long

    &quot;Forbidden races&quot;-537241_10151490664839718_1391502343_n.jpg
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,424
    SJockey, i respect your stand and support the boycott of USAC. But, You can burn your card,but really the card is just paper. Did you call or email USAC and ask for them to refute your membership? Technically you are still a member/rider, and might still get hassled by the Feds even without a card. Take the time to call or email USAC and tell them to F off, otherwise you still may be under their power.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 10:15 PM
  2. Replies: 2850
    Last Post: 01-01-2013, 08:36 AM
  3. "Beginner friendly" races in AZ?
    By jasmap in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-08-2012, 10:29 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 02:57 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •