mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Fluid trainer fluid replacement?

Sorry to post in the racing forum, but I figured someone here might know. I have an older Cycleops fluid trainer and it has really started to lose its resistance making it much easier to pedal than it used to be. Cyclops customer service said the fluid can break down overtime and can't be replaced. They offered to a warranty discount on something else however I'm not sure I want to upgrade just yet.

The trainer does have an allen screw plug where it looks like the fluid could be drained. Has anyone ever changed the fluid in a Cyclops trainer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Cyclops customer service said the fluid can break down overtime and can't be replaced. They offered to a warranty discount on something else however I'm not sure I want to upgrade just yet.
    http://www.cycleops.com/en/warranty-information.html

So apparently the fluid is a wear item and not covered under warranty? I wonder what is the normal lifespan of this fluid before it breaks down...
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    you could try a synthetic light weight motor oil. That is what Elite recommended when I lost my fluid to a leak.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What weight Synthetic? I have some 5w - 30 and 10w - 30 mobile one sitting in the garage. I'm also wondering about the amount to add back in, but I suppose I could just measure what drains out.

I went ahead and called Cycleops support who is now owned by Saris. They offered a customer loyalty upgrade for just the fluid trainer unit as they don't warranty the fluid breakdown. Before I drop money on that I'm going to give the fluid replacement a shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I might be inclined to try 0w - 10 if I were purchasing, me I would try using what you already have. Elite indicated that I would probably just see an increase in the resistance which was ok with me. I used 5W - 20 because I had it. I did not have to put that much back in so it really did not seem all that different from what I remembered before it started leaking.

JLSF20
    Sep 2008
    Sorry for my poor english. My case, I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and believe it leaked after 2 years. The resistance unit started the become more resistance in my training, so I was stupped and open it, an could see the oil leaking an some scratching inside, so made some photos. I called Kinetic an they said I lost the warranty. A friend of mine is a made some piece that was broken an caused the problem. Now after 3 months of many self tests, I put vaseline oil inside the resistance unit to simulate the oringinal resistance. I can say it is 95% equal original trainer now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I went to check and drain the old fluid in mine and it was almost bone dry. Now wonder it had no resistance. As far as Saris saying the old fluid trainers aren't user serviceable, that's BS. All I did was unscrew the drain plug. Then I added some 10w - 30 mobile 1 oil and it works like it used to. Glad I didn't buy a new trainer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JLSF20 View Post
    Sorry for my poor english. My case, I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and believe it leaked after 2 years. The resistance unit started the become more resistance in my training, so I was stupped and open it, an could see the oil leaking an some scratching inside, so made some photos. I called Kinetic an they said I lost the warranty. A friend of mine is a made some piece that was broken an caused the problem. Now after 3 months of many self tests, I put vaseline oil inside the resistance unit to simulate the oringinal resistance. I can say it is 95% equal original trainer now.
    Did they say why the warranty was denied? They advertise an unconditional lifetime warranty for the original owner. Maybe because you disassembled the resistance unit?

JLSF20
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Did they say why the warranty was denied? They advertise an unconditional lifetime warranty for the original owner. Maybe because you disassembled the resistance unit?
    yes, because I desassembled it. Look.

Fluid trainer fluid replacement?-img_20130718_091648.jpgFluid trainer fluid replacement?-img_20130718_091802.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I might try a lighter weight oil like the 0w - 10 as stated above. It had quite a bit of resistance using the 10w - 30 making it inconsistent when spinning or sprinting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I tried the 0w - 10 for a while and it works but the trainer is jerky on sprints. In other words its not fluid. I'm thinking I either have the fill level wrong or I may try some thinner oil.

Any suggestions on how much oil to put in?

Saris won't tell me as they say their old Cyclops units are fluid serviceable which is BS since there is a drain plug.