mtbr member

First Race. "Week of" Training prep help

I have my first race coming up on Saturday.

Any advice for training prep during the week. Race distance is 24 miles and on the long end my typical ride range. I pre-road the course the Saturday before last and this past sunday I did 22.5 mile ride on differnet trail at about a race pace just as distance prep.

I took yesterday off as recovery and plan to take Friday off as prep. I think I should to some work Tues-Thurs, but not sure how much effort. I don't want over train, but don't want to get soft either.

Also my "normal" week is 45min to 1 hour hard effort 3 to 4 days a week and then a 2-3 hr ride on the weekend. I don't have time or desire to "train" properly, but mostly just try to keep my aerobic fitness up. Soreness is rarely an issue, but exhaustion can be.

Any advice? Diet changes? Eat more than usual or less? I am trying to get more sleep, but with work and family it can be bit hard. I go to sleep at 10pm and up at 4:30am. I am 5'7" and 152-155lbs.

BTW... I don't expect to win my race, but do want give a good personal performance.
    Last edited by JoePAz; 11-06-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'd just take it easy if you go hard this week you'll just get tired. For a Sat race I like an easy spin on Friday and Thursday off but everyone is different.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I race better if I ride the day before the event. I'll typically go out for about 2 hours, taking it pretty easy with 4 or 5 short hard efforts (>2 minutes). The day of the event I'll warm up for 15-30 minutes depending on the length of the race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm doing the Cave Creek Bike Fest race Saturday also. I do my normal Tuesday night hammer fest wich is 40 minute crit style road ride and then I will do an hour easy spin on Thursday night.

Eat and sleep as normal as possible. Don't try anything new or unusual.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Don't change your diet! Don't change anything on the bike! Sleep more, don't overdo it this week, and make sure you are rested before the event. How do your legs feel at almost race pace from Saturday? Do you need more than just one day to recover from that? I would take another day off or have an active recovery day and I would lower my volume this week so I would be well rested. Think positive and make it happen!
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    So I will not really change anything. I did not ride yesterday. I had to help my daughter with her homework. I will get out today and nice road ride (my std 17 miles ~ 55-60 minutes loop). Thursday I plan to do another ride same loop, but probalby at less pace. Rest day friday along with fresh tires on the bike. My rear is has pretty much all the knobbies worn down. I was going to run it as it was not slipping too much had was ligther, but there is chance of rain so if it does get wet I would rather have some rear knobbies to give me something approaching traction. Same tires I have on it now, so no change really. Just a fresh set. I just hope i don't get cold. I is 90 here today, but will be 58 on Saturday. That is cold for here. Anyway it will make it interesting.

I think I will just let my mental state relax. No need to over think this as it is just a ride. I won't win and baring some mechanicaI I probably won't be last. No expecatations and I will probably enjoy it the most.

For me 2 days riding from Monday- Friday is little on low side. So I should be rested, but not have gotten soft either. I know that if I train more I could be better overall, but normal life events of this week have shown me that overall biking is for fun my spare time. If I can do a race here and there fine. It might be fun. However I simply cannot restructure my life training. The best I can do get my training in when the time comes up. Make the time yes, but don't sacrafice family either.

Thanks for the tips.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    .. How do your legs feel at almost race pace from Saturday? Do you need more than just one day to recover from that?
    My leg never really get sore from riding. I do get fatigued.

Lets see last week was a busy week.

Saturday Oct 27- Pre Rode the race loop and felt good
    Sunday - Tuesday - Rest Day
    Wed - 3.5 mile run - 30 min
    Thur - 3.5 Mile run - 30 min
    Friday - 22.1 mile road loop (1hr 8 min) at near max pace
    Saturday 1600 mm swimming - 3 400m sets, but another 400 m of practice. (first time swimming laps - training for a sprint Tri in december)

Then I rode Sunday on a 22.5 mile loop and despite being 1.5 mile shorter and less elevation gain it was a harder ride. No leg soreness, but general fatigue. I was wiped out on Sunday after the ride and I think the swimming wore me down more than expected. Monday I was ok, but needed the day off. I had planned either 45 min gym spin, 3 mile run or 50min road ride yesterday, but did not to any of them. Probably good as I could use the rest day. I have done rides where I was just worn down. Too much time off does that as well as too little and simply not enough sleep.
    Joe