mtbr member
    Oct 2011

First race under my belt(Singlespeed-a-palooza)

I've been riding for a year now, and started on a singlespeed, so what better race to pick as a first than singlespeed-a-palooza? It was more fun(and different) than I expected. Pacing was my biggest concern, as I had never even ridden 25 miles on a mtb up until 2 weeks ago, nevermind raced for 25. I had plans to stick with some friends who I knew had a similar fitness level, but that went right out the window as soon as we hit the single track and it was SLOW as it began with a climb, followed by rocky downhill. So as soon as we got out of that trail I knew the top guys would already have built a gap of a few minutes, was frustrated by the pace, and I wanted to GO.

I flew for the first 12 miles, passing a bunch of people and didn't have anyone pass me(that I remember). The next few miles had most of the climbs, so after that I settled in a bit to recover, and surprisingly not many people seemed to be gaining on me. Anyway, I'll just get to the end- with about 3 miles to go, a friend caught me when I started to cramp and was slowing down considerably trying to manage and not have my leg lock up. He stuck with me, pulled me down the last road section before the final 2 miles of single track. I was able to spin pretty fast on the first half of the trail or so where it was flat, but once it started going up, I had trouble an noticed people coming so I told him to GO. First climb my leg completely locked up, I had to stop and got passed by a bunch of people.

Managed to finish the last mile somehow, wound up 23rd of 81 in NY sport. The friend who had been riding with me ended up 17th I believe, so it was a little disappointing knowing I was running around top 15 until the last mile or so, and finished 9 minutes off the winner, which I don't think is too bad. All in all it was a great time and I'm looking forward to racing again

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

First race under my belt(Singlespeed-a-palooza)

Glad you had a great time. Don't worry, you race long enough you will have good days, bad days, and if your lucky, a few great ones.
    Thing is even a bad day on a mtn bike is still alot better then may other things. Sometimes you just gotta flow with it knowing better days are ahead.
    Great job. That's a solid placing. With a little more work you can easily pick up a few more spots.

Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Oh I'll be doing a lot more work, over this next year I'll probably ride 3x the amount I did in my first year. I have a few more races planned for this year. Looking forward to it!