mtbr member

First race coming, feedback on my routine please...

OK, I may be overthinking all this, and I sound like an idiot, but I'm diong my first race and I am curious if I should stick to what I'm doing and I'll be fine or if I should step it up a bit over the next couple weeks.

I'm in the 225# range, clyde class in cat 3 since its my first race. It'll only be an 8.5 mile loop, mostly flat from what I've read, I'll be riding it the first time next Saturday.

Currently I ride a minimum of 5 times a week, sometimes every day in a week, and I have 2 routes I normally do.
    -My normal weekday evening ride is to a 6.1 man made trail maintained by the local club (DORBA here in Dallas) and its 1.4 miles from my house. I live in a hilly area so I ride my bike there, ddo the trails, and back home for a 9 mile trip in about 40-45 minutes.
    -The first 1.5-2 miles of the trail I ride is all climbing, then about 1.5 mile back down, then twisty single track for the rest.
    -I normally run one water bottle with a 50/50 mix of gatorade and water, and lately I have been doing this ride in 100+ degree temps. I ride there, get a splash of drink, do the trails, kill the bottle, and ride home.

Once or twice a week I do a larger trail network, about 15 miles, mostly flat with more obstacles, and we may do half and stop for a breather and a bottle, and finish the other half.

Am I going to be plenty good for this "candyass" 8.5 first race or should I consider pushing my rides further, increasing my stamina, to maintain a higher average speed, etc.
    I dont have thoughts I'm going to finish top 3 in this thing but I'd like to finish in the top half of the field.

Any feedback or comments are appreciated.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Also, is gatorade/water in a 50/50 mix a good drink for the ride? I feel allot better using this or Powerade Zero mixed with the water than I do when I was just taking in straight water on the rides.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Brant-C.
    at two weeks out you don't want to change/add anything to your workouts.
    when you race, drink what you are using for the race.
    the week before the race, get a couple of rest days during that week.
    so if you race on saturday, maybe rest on wed and thurs, do a one hour ride on your mtb on fri, race on saturday.
    you sound like you should finish in the top half or better. that training schedule is more of a sport racers schedule...not many of us can fit 5 days of riding in a week!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.