Thread: first race

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

first race

so im thinking about doing my first xc race.. its at kirkwood resort. 2laps 5.5 miles 900ft climbing.. me and the bike arent really setup for xc both on the heavy side.. lol. need any tips or knowledge you can share.

I'd rather be riding
    Have fun! If your not having fun there's no reason to be there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    correct. I just did my first race a few months ago. Go have fun. bring water (you'll need it). if you're racing...push yourself...have fun....

mtbr member
    For your first race try to consider it more of an ride than a race. This will give you a feel for what the future races will be like and then when you do those ones go ahead and push yourself. If you can pre-ride the course that helps a lot.

Also if you mean more all mountain-ish by saying your bike is a little heavier take advantage of it on the downhills especially if the course is on a ski slope.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    Just ride and learn... And have fun. Pay attention to the speed of the start and when the race settles in, how to pass, how to be passed, when and how to drink, pace, etc... So you will know for the next time and be thinking about it, training for it, and planning for it! Oh... Have fun... Did I say that already?

Dirt Huffer
    Dont push yourself too hard early into the race. Just keep a good pace, then halfway threw the race turn the screws on. The biggest mistake new racers do is burnout too early