mtbr member

Finally did my first Mtb Race

And had a BLAST!!!

Actually, both my son and I entered the Landmine Classic MTB Race in the First-Timers category. I don't really know if this is classified as XC race due to the terrain which is the typical of New England single tracks.

We've only been riding for almost 2 years but we just thought how fun it would be to ride the trails in race conditions. Being first-timers, we were reminded by the stager (guy who stages the racers ) that as first-timers, it really is more of getting to experience the trails at a faster pace, and not really a race.

Anyways, we both ride Trance X's (X2 and X3) with Nevegals. The race was for 7mi on what I would say is definitely not a smooth course. Lots of roots, lots of rocks, a very looong climb up a hill where roots and rocks abound, plus on the final stretch, 2 or 3 climbs with rocks and roots everywhere. So I might agree with the stager that this course really is somewhat technical

We both finished the race in 1hr06min because we were both waiting for each other {ok just excuses to rest}. We started at the back of the pack so everyone else got a lead on us. Funny part is, we were riding behind a couple of kids and there's this kid, who when we tell him we're passing on his left, will pedal harder and swerve to the left We just laughed about it. And this went on for a long time. Found an opportune moment and we got by him finally At this point, we're now way behind the leaders.

Of course, we had to walk the looong climb littered with roots and rocks. To my surprise, some Cat 1, 2, 3 and even a couple of pros actually ran up the hill instead of riding it. Which actually made me not feel so bad walking it

The Trance X's were perfect for this course due to the terrain, especially when the nose points down for sweet downhill sections, which did I mention yet, are littered with rocks and roots too. The trail was damp in sections making the rocks and roots slick as well.

Bottom line, we were happy we entered the race. Now we realized a few things after the race (since we wanna do it again):
    • We need to train more
    • We need to lose weight
    • We need to increase endurance by a lot

Based on how we felt after the race, this won't be our last, but we want to be more prepared the next time. Endurance being the most important aspect of training. I feel my legs can still go but then my lungs are giving up on the climbs. I glanced at my HR monitor and my heart rate was at 182bps (I'm 44 btw), when my normal high was 176bps.

I'll be reading up a lot on this forum from now on for training tips/hints so next year, we'll be in better shape.

2009 Giant Trance X3
    2010 Giant Trance X2

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Awesome!

Keep riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Congrats! It's a rush isn't it!