mtbr member
    May 2011

... and if we just ... Feeling good! But need help...

Started back mountain biking bout month an a half ago with the goal of running a cat 3 race in September. I have worked my tail off on the bike and felt I'd made no progress as far as endurance goes. This week riding is starting to make me feel good! Better sleep, more energy, an more positive attitude. Down to 225lbs from 240 an began running on the treadmill tonight! I also quit smoking just before I started riding again and it's unbelievable how much wind I have. I have fought tiredness and soreness in my legs. I never remember my muscles giving out before my lungs. I'm trying to reclaim my life at 30. I have been riding 2 or 3 times a week an now am adding running to make up for nights I can't ride. Anyone here decide to get fit at around my age? How long before you felt competitive again? How did you get past the muscle tiredness and soreness? The training plans here are Greek to me what's a good idiots guide to training? Long term goals are xc racing along with adventure racing.

Also want to say thanks to all those here who have helped since I started back!
    He who throws mud loses ground.
    -Fat Albert

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Clyde View Post
    The training plans here are Greek to me what's a good idiots guide to training? !
    Alternate hard days with easy days.

Brant-C.
    best advice i got when i started was:

ride 3 times during the week for an hour on each ride. just ride.

then ride hard on the weekends for 2 to 3 hours.

that's it.

after a year or two, you can refine your training as you begin to understand more of it.

keeping it on the fun side is the most important thing!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I started riding MTB around 16, once I went to college drugs, alcohol and ciggies became more important(shame). Four years ago I was in your exact same situation and quit most of the drugs/alcohol and quit smoking cigs cold-turkey thanks to MTB'n.

I'm 33 now and I still feel a lot more healthy and happy, just like you. It really took me about a year before I felt the previous smoking wasn't seriously impacting my performance. The tiredness/soreness you wrote about, I doubt that will ever go away if you ride to train. It will always hurt, you'll just be going faster as the weeks to by! I like heed over all the other drinks I've tried the past few years, it makes a very noticeable improvement in my ability to deal with the lactic acid (the soreness/burn you get while hammering)

Keep on reading and trying new training/diets/techniques until you find what works best for you.

Always remember to have fun!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah I assume the pain while running or biking just means it's working. It's the recovery that seems to take forever.
    He who throws mud loses ground.
    -Fat Albert