mtbr member

Favorite C02 inflator?

I bought a big box of 16g unthreaded cartridges a couple years back for some Blackburn inflators that I used. I didn't find the inflator's durability to be good enough. I see now that threaded cartridges are more widespread and you can carry a lighter inflator.

Any favorites in inflator or cartridge? Some guys I know use Big Air. I'd like to stock up and use the same thing on road and MTB though.

mtbr member
    I've used this one for years now. Still going good:

Ultraflate Plus

I typically buy the box of unthreaded 10g refills (at Target or Kmart), then it's super cheap to use (about 35 cents per catridge). Two 10 grams will fill up an MTB tire, one 10g will fill up a 23mm road tire to really good pressure.

It claims to be compatible with a lot of air catridges, including Big Air (just uses the head only).
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 02-22-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

FasCat Coaching
    Name:  41hCIhARvcL.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  27.0 KB

I've always had good luck with this one from Genuine innovations. Super light and super easy to use. 16g threaded cartridges will get me rolling on the road bike no problem, but also enough air to make it out on the mtb (though sometimes I'll carry 2 with me on long mtb rides)
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    I've used this one for years now. Still going good:

Ultraflate Plus

I typically buy the box of unthreaded 10g refills (at Target or Kmart), then it's super cheap to use. Two 10 grams will fill up an MTB tire, one 10g will fill up a 23mm road tire to really good pressure.

It claims to be compatible with a lot of air catridges, including Big Air (probably just use the head only).
    x2

I buy the cheap threadless cartridges at a department store and carry a couple of extras. I can usually get my 26" tires and my road tires to respectable PSI with one cartridge, but it takes 2 for my 29er.

I have used just the head with threaded cartridges, but the threaded cartridges cost quite a bit more and the weight savings of not having the rest of the inflator is negligible.

mtbr member
    Genuine Innovations seems to do what their name states when it comes to CO2. The Ultraflate Plus covers everything, but when I thought about it, I really needed two inflators, because I'd invariably take the inflator on an MTB ride and forget to bring it back to my road bike for the weekday commute. So, I bought a box of Big Air canisters and an Air Chuck Elite to go with it for MTB races. Then I got a Proflate Elite (like the dust cap) and a cheap box of 40ct 12g unthreaded cartridges for the road and/or general riding. Thanks for the recommendations.

BTW, road tubeless rocks for training and commuting on the road as much as it does on the trail. Hutchinson Intensives with sealant kept me on time this morning.