Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Some really good tips on here guys. Need to ut some of them into practise and lose some of this excess body weight I am carrying.

Did I catch a niner?
    I used to be ultra fit in my younger years I dwindled more in college with all that damn partying. Anyways after all that I was just fat for a few years then I just had to figure this out. I haven't really counted calories but I've always been fortunate enough that if I exercise I loose weight no matter what I eat. However I do not eat much crap anymore anyways because well it tastes terrible to me and most of that crap is filled with sodium which I can not stand with anything!

So this winter I go to my gym 4 times a week, I also mix in cardio (mainly running for cross season). I've always enjoyed time at the gym and never found it to be a chore really.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Good advice here. I'm a big fan of the lose it app for tracking weight and calories. Also provides more motivation to ride the trainer if you need to burn x calories to stay on target.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Here's what I did.

On February 9, 2012, I weighed 236 pounds. I am 5' 6" tall. That's a BIT obese on the BMI scale

I started a weight loss contest at work with 15 other people. $100 buy-in, winner take all, by percent body weight lost in 90 days. I set a personal goal to be at 190 pounds at the end of the contest.

I read that the minimum caloric content for a male my age (47) is 1500. But I'm an engineer by degree, didn't believe that, and did the math to see how much of a daily reduction I needed to hit 190. I limited my calories to 1370 and used an iPhone App to track everything I ate. EVERYTHING. A packet of sugar in coffee got recorded. A freakin' Altoid mint got recorded (10 calories for 3 mints, in case you were wondering .

For the first 30 days, all I did was limit calories. I didn't care much about WHAT I ate but care more about how much I ate. However, when tracking daily calories, you instantly learn some things about yourself and food. First, you learn to avoid calorie dense foods because you will hit your calorie limit and still be hungry. People say "Don't eat bread or pasta! You'll get fat." Maybe, but the reason I avoided bread and pasta was because I could eat more volume in fruit than bread and I wanted volume to avoid being hungry.

For the second 30 days, I started walking. I travel a lot for work but could always find a place to walk near the hotel or on a treadmill.

For the third 30 days, I mixed light jogging with my walking.

In 90 days, I was 191 pounds and took second in the contest. I was out $100 but made $300 in side bets (I work with the most competitive people you can imagine!).

At 8 months in, I started mountain biking again after 8 years off the bike. I've been riding 3-6 hours a week since October. Mostly trails, but a few hours on a stationary trainer as well.

Today, just a few weeks from my 1 year weight loss kickoff, I'm 168 pounds and only 3 pounds from my ultimate goal. That's 68 pounds lost but the VAST majority of it came from calorie control instead of exercise. The exercise was great for breaking through the inevitable plateaus but, in the end, it's very simple. I call it the Physics Diet.

If you consume fewer calories than you expend, you HAVE to lose weight. It doesn't matter if those calories come in the form of broccoli or Big Macs. Eat less than you burn and you have to lose weight.

Hope this helped.

mtbr member
    If you're looking for motivation in a gym then these apps seem quite interesting:

Kinomap Trainer - geolocated videos that you follow on an exercise bike, rower or treadmill
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/kino...437195565?mt=8

Gympact - earn money for sticking to your workout regime
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/gymp...456068701?mt=8

If you're turbo training at home then you could try something like this too:

Wahoo Fitness Kickr trainer
    http://mashable.com/2012/08/31/iphone-powered-bike/

Trainer Road
    Homepage - TrainerRoad

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So, at 43 years old, at 204 pounds (6' tall) I want to lose about 20 pounds and I've considered doing some mountain bike racing and some 5 & 10k runs this year. I've followed this thread with interest the past week or so and I downloaded the LoseIt! app yesterday. After just 1 and a half days, it's pretty interesting. I set a goal of losing 1.5 pounds/week (seems reasonable and sustainable for me) and hitting 185 in mid-April. Anyway, the calorie counter has been a bit cumbersome based on my wife's homemade meals, but overall I've found I'm overeating somewhat on a daily basis. In addition, it let me see that yesterday I consumed approximately 1400 of my budgeted 1950 calories at dinner time or after. Yesterday was a fairly "normal" eating day for me, so that was a real eye opener. Anyway, mostly I'm chiming in to say the app seems like a good one and not only am I seeing what I'm eating, but when. Apparently several habits need to change!
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

mtbr member
    Good work, Springs Rubicon! You can build recipes with the app that makes constructing meals a one time effort. Or use the previous meals function.

mtbr member
    As for what to do for home cooked meals on the app, that's always the hard part. I would either add up all the ingredients and then estimate my portion or find a meal the app had that was close and use it. I usually chose the latter. I use MyFitnessPal and it has a surprising number of user-created meals that I could approximate my meal with. I would sometimes adjust the portions as well.

So if I made a big salad ("What's IN the big salad, Jerry?") with chicken, peppers, cucumber, and 4 TBS of Kraft Italian dressing, I'd look on the app and find one that was close. If I found one that was close but only had 1 cup as the serving size, I'd enter it with 2-3 servings to approximate the BIG salad.

You don't have to be exact. Just get close and you're doing a world of good.

After about 2 months, I could estimate my daily calorie content to within 10% easily without the app. I knew what to eat and what not to eat and knew what my daily limit "felt" like. If I didn't enter my meals during the day, I could estimate "I'm probably at around 1450 calories." I'd then go back and add all my meals and I'd be at 1400 or 1500 every time.

But, at the beginning, the app is critical. Use it religiously. Even today, coming up on a year, I still use the app when I feel like I'm getting lazy...and I'm still dropping weight.

One reason I like the app is that I like to see a calories consumed number in red (negative) after a long ride.

Let's see...

Coffee with cream and sugar was 80.
    Banana was 100.
    Apple and a Clif bar on the way to the trail was 80 + 230.
    Copperhead and White Tail at Chicopee was -950.

Calorie balance for the day = -360 Woot!

That is sure better than a year ago when that number was something like +3200.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Surround yourself with good people who ride a ton....aka...join a club. It is infectious and you can poach training ideas/motivation from your buddies.

Joining Strava can be a fun motivator for those who don't even race...
    I second these suggestions. If your climate or your schedule don't allow you to be riding with a group at this time of year, then get a GPS (and maybe some studded tires), create a Strava account, and use Strava's "Explore" feature to find some popular ascents in your area. Go for a 1-hour ride and work a few climbs into it, get onto the leaderboards, then watch your improvement as your fitness takes shape. It'll motivate you to give your best effort when you know "there'll be a quiz later"

If practical, consider commuting to/from work by bike. That's a good way to build riding into your day without it being a special, extracurricular activity. You can extend your commute when you feel like it... mine range from a 4-mile direct route to a 22-mile rural route and sometimes 40 miles or more when the conditions and my energy allow it.

Whereabouts do you live, what's the climate like?

MD Rider
    For those mentioning having trouble with the wife's home cooking: It may seem weird at first, but you might have to start getting used to eating something else for dinner. For me, it's hard to just reduce my portions if you're used to eating a certain amount of a particular food, so ultimately I ended up making my own dinners that consisted of a lot of veggies and one or two pieces of meat, typically chicken or salmon. If that doesn't fill me up, then I'll wait a while and have a bowl of fat free cottage cheese w/pineapples, blueberries and almonds. The nice part about a diet heavy in veggies is you can eat a ton of them and not worry about the calories.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2