Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eventually get a road bike or is the MTB doing double duty?

I have a heavier set of wheels that came with a new bike; they're pretty much an after thought and I am having a new lightweight set built for my 26" 4-inch FS with both ends locked out. I am doing 2 hour pavement rides and was thinking of putting on 26" slicks for the road and then slapping the lightweight wheelset for the trails. One bike, two wheelsets.

How many of you continue to ride the road on a mtb whether it's an old beater or your current main bike with different wheels, or did your pavement miles/time get so great you eventually purchased a road bike. Or is your main mtb a 29er and you slap on slicks; presume that's a pain if running tubeless brew.

Taking the time to dial in fit on the road bike won't be an issue nor will transitioning to the mtb. I say 50/50 is the ride time split and I'd like to do longer rides but don't know if 3 hours on a mtb on pavement is pleasurable.

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Road biking is much more fun with other people. So as soon as you start training on the road some, you'll likely find yourself wanting to start doing some fast group rides, metrics, centuries, etc. You sure can't do this with a 26" mtn bike unless you are VERY strong (yes, I've tried) and while I suposed the 29er wheel size will help some, you'll still be at a marked disadvantage in regards to aerodynamics and weight. Unless you plan on riding by yourself 100% of the time, get a road bike.

SSOD
    Yeah get a road bike, even if you have lockouts on your fork and shock, your going to wear the bushings and pivots and loose some pedaling efficiency. For the price of a nice wheelset, you can find a used road bike/ cx bike that will make riding on the road much more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just ride my bike on the pavement when the trails are messy, or to the trails when I ride the local ones close enough to my house, best way for me to get in my hours year round. I was doing 3.5 hour rides on my FS bike in late feb/march/early april

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got a set of slicks for my mtn bike thinking it would be kinda close to the speed of a roadie........Its nowhere close.

I find road biking a lot more fun than I thought I would.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I built up a nice 29 SS ti I use for training. I slap on a13 tooth in the rear and climb 30 miles of hilly road terrain. I don't know what it is about a SS, road or mtn, I'm lovin it. It's all I ride, fad maybe, but until then, who cares as long as I find fun in road riding.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I built up a nice 29 SS ti I use for training. I slap on a13 tooth in the rear and climb 30 miles of hilly road terrain. I don't know what it is about a SS, road or mtn, I'm lovin it. It's all I ride, fad maybe, but until then, who cares as long as I find fun in road riding.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Now this bike is real fun on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Eventually get a road bike or is the MTB doing double duty?-img_20110724_090329-1.jpg  

Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Road bike. Get one. The nicest one you can afford and you'll find out why.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. I think tomorrow I'll go and look at the 2011 Giant TCR Composite.

TCR Composite (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Local dealer has it for $1450 but that's before I haggle some. Seems to be a decent 18.5 pound training bike with a fantastic warranty. The wheels will probably be heavy pigs but the dealer does good trade-in; he owes me one for the last bike purchase so I'm hoping to come out with a lighter wheelset for less than 1500 bucks. Nothing on the local CL.

I know this isn't roadbikereview.com but I couldn't find anything locally from the likes of Jamis, Specialized (wow, they want a lot for their composite 105 bikes!), Raleigh or even Performance Bike/Nashbar, etc. that had mainly 105, composite and lifetime warranty.

Again, thanks to all for the input.

psycho cyclo addict
    I ride my 29er's on whatever is available dirt, road, rocks, single track, etc. No road bikes for me since the '80's.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been using my mtb for some road rides and I thought I was going quick until a roadie blew by me the other day from out of nowhere. I want a road bike but need to wait a bit cus I'm saving for my new mtb before I get a road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    Thanks. I think tomorrow I'll go and look at the 2011 Giant TCR Composite.

TCR Composite (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Local dealer has it for $1450 but that's before I haggle some. Seems to be a decent 18.5 pound training bike with a fantastic warranty. The wheels will probably be heavy pigs but the dealer does good trade-in; he owes me one for the last bike purchase so I'm hoping to come out with a lighter wheelset for less than 1500 bucks. Nothing on the local CL.

I know this isn't roadbikereview.com but I couldn't find anything locally from the likes of Jamis, Specialized (wow, they want a lot for their composite 105 bikes!), Raleigh or even Performance Bike/Nashbar, etc. that had mainly 105, composite and lifetime warranty.

Again, thanks to all for the input.
    That TCR looks pretty sweet for the money. This is only my view but I did buy something similar last year and I didn't regret it.

If you exchange the wheels, go full custom. If your shop can swap the 105 derailleurs and cranks for ultegra, go for it - ultegra is like XT and is the sweet spot in value. Although 105 is still very good, especially the new 105 shifters with internal cabling... keep those.

Also when your tires are all worn out, get some 320 TPI clinchers for the ride of your life!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    +1 on purchase of true road bike.. I agree with climr..

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMTB View Post
    I've been using my mtb for some road rides and I thought I was going quick until a roadie blew by me the other day from out of nowhere. I want a road bike but need to wait a bit cus I'm saving for my new mtb before I get a road.
    From a fitness standpoint, it really does not matter. IF you are doing road group rides, then you will most likely need the road bike to keep up depending on how fast the group is.

Grip it and rip it.
    Yeah road bike all the way.

Also if you use your mtb a lot on the road you'll wear the drive train a lot quicker too, not good.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

It's about showing up.
    A second bike, if you can afford it, does spread out the wear and tear. A bike purposed for the road does a superior job over a mtb with slicks.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I went with a CX bike. I throw some road tires on and do group rides, or I throw cross tires on and pound some gravel. Even gravel is better then riding the road solo....ugh.

I'm fortunate enough that a state park within riding distance has over 50 miles of fire road, you may not be as lucky.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    I always hated riding the road before I got a road bike. I actually like riding the road (with a road bike) as much as I like riding dirt now.

Get a road bike!

Big B's Trails
    Ive done lots of both road and mtb. Nothing is as versatile as a geared ht29er, even my cx bike as versatile and fun as that was is no comparo...
    Build a nice set of dirt wheels and get a pair of mavic speed-city's for the road, unless you plan on big rides at a fast pace ( centuries, racing) there's no NEED for another bike just WANTs...
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Now this bike is real fun on the road.
    Send it this way so I can try it!
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Every time I get a road bike I tire of it within a couple months and end up selling it. Even owning both, almost always choose my MTB for the road. I just feelt too restricted on the road bike, can't explore as much as you're more limited by terrain.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    ... Specialized (wow, they want a lot for their composite 105 bikes!), ...

It's the Zerts. NASA technology ain't cheap........

Team Livemedium
    Road curious are we?

They are like little carbon rocketships shooting you to the stars.
    Happy hunting.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I got a road bike not too long after I started riding bikes as a sport, as opposed to just transportation. I still think of myself as more of a mountain biker, but I'm up to three road bikes now - the nice one I bought back in 2000, a 'cross bike, and one I can leave locked outside - to my one mountain bike. I haven't done it this season, but last season I went to my first couple of training crits; a fair chunk of road riding, both alone and with friends, has been part of my riding since I got the bike. My current team has more roadies, although it does have a pretty good MTB contingent as well, so I also get a lot of opportunities to do small group training rides that I wouldn't have a hope of keeping up with on my MTB. In retrospect, I might have been better off if I just bought a 'cross bike in the first place. But I do like my road bike better on the road...

Actually it got a new rear derailleur today. Thank you, ******y finance guys with weird market research surveys, for the Amazon.com gift certificate.

Looks like this thread's getting a little old - did you look at the TCR?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast