mtbr member
    May 2009

ETFA/Route 66 Race Rigs

I just moved out to the east coast, CT to be exact. I am a definite newbie to the area. I came from SoCal where the trail world is relatively smooth and non-technical and I would never think of riding anything other than my Superfly in the Kenda Cup races. With the abundance of rock and slower techy sections I am wondering if that is the correct race rig for the northeast. I have a Sultan that is more of a trail rig with the rear shock pushed for a smooth ride. Not the ideal race rig, but I might be tempted to run that instead of the Superfly.

Q1 - Those that have done the races, of the two bikes I have which would you race?

Q2 - What category did you race and on what ride?

Q3 - Are there some races you'd recommend a hardtail vs. a full?

Q4 - In the event that an EFTA race overlaps with a Route 66 race.. which would you choose?

I like to ride my bike.
    Welcome!
    You are lucky enough to have two great bikes. I think the Superfly would be great unless you decide to race some stupid technical course (and I can't thin of one).

I race Cat.1 on a Scott Scale 29er, last year the alu., this year the carbon.

Off the top of my head, maybe Glocester Grind or Domnarski Farm. G-ster is flat and chunky, D. Farm uses 10 mile loops that wear on you, good for a FS. Some courses are definitely best on a hardtail.

Both are great. Root 66 was my favorite for a while, but last year EFTA got their act together and had a lot of great races. So, whichever one is closer. Root 66 is based out of CT, EFTA is MA/NH/ME oriented.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

CB2
    Jam Econo
    A1. I would choose the Superfly, but if your shock(s) have a platform setting, the Sultan might be good choice on a course like Glocester or Hodges Village Dam were you can stay seated and pedal over the roots and rocks.

A2. Cat1, or Cat1 SS. I ride a Singular Swift, usually rigid, and up until this year singlespeed (might try racing a 1x8 if I don't get bored with it before the season starts).

A3. See A1

A4. I race mostly the Root 66 series because they are more convienent for me, but the EFTA races have a really cool grass roots vibe. Root 66, for the most part are exceptionally well run.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Guys, glad I could get some local assistance here!

I spent all last year racing my Superfly and think I'm going to plan on racing it more! I'll probably try to get out and pre-ride some of the courses to get a feel for them and make sure that's the right bike.

Hopefully I can make it to a couple of each promotion. I have some prior triathlon commitments that will interfere, but want to squeeze some of these races inbetween. Yesterday was the first I'd heard about the Route 66 series and I was glad to see that it starts mid-April.

Now if some of this snow would melt haha!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have only ridden in the EFTA series so don't have anything to offer on ROOT 66:

In order -

Superfly

CAT1, up from CAT2 last season on a (please don't heckle) - Motobecane Fly Ti 29r

Most races except possibly Treasure Valley Rally use the HT, depends on how your back feels

I'd have to stick with the EFTA series 1st - they're getting to be family.

Members who have read this thread: 0