mtbr member

Ergon Grips w/ Carbon Bar?

I know your not supposed to use bar ends with a carbon bar; but what about bolt on grips? Specifically Ergons. Been struggling with some numbness after a few hours in the saddle, and want to try a set of Ergons to see if they'll help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cru_jones; 11-15-2009 at 02:53 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Depends what carbon bar, some are okay to use with both bar ends or bolt-on grips. I never had any issue with my FSA K-Force...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    these might help a little. i have some and they are pretty stout:
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...204.460.1.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Depends what carbon bar, some are okay to use with both bar ends or bolt-on grips. I never had any issue with my FSA K-Force...
    Answer Protaper.

mtbr member
    I have ergons on my carbon bars for 3 years, lots of miles, plenty of rough trails.
    I weight 215, no problems.
    I just replaced the grips with a new pair of ergons, the grey soft rubber was worn out

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Syntace Duralite carbon and Salsa carbon with no problems.

Ergon Bike
    Ergon's barend grips will work with carbon bars. But please advise, follow the bar manufac. fine print. If a handle bar brand says NO barends, please comply.

Bars we have had good luck with include:
    - FSA
    - Syntace (used by Team Topeak-Ergon)
    - Ritchey
    - Easton
    - Salsa

Only Bontrager carbon bars have known issues. This issue is with the glossy finish on the bar causing the grips to slip under hard pressure. Note, this is a hit-n-miss issue not effecting all Ergon/Bontrager users.

Carbon bar reinforcement plugs are also a good idea. Better safe than sorry. We produce one called the HS100. Other companies make this simple item as well.

Lastly, all we can say is torque wrench, torque wrench, torque wrench. Follow the torque specs on both the bar and grips.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ERGON
    Ergon's barend grips will work with carbon bars. But please advise, follow the bar manufac. fine print. If a handle bar brand says NO barends, please comply.

- FSA
    - Ritchey
    - Easton
    - Salsa

Only Bontrager carbon bars have known issues. This issue is with the glossy finish on the bar causing the grips to slip under hard pressure. Note, this is a hit-n-miss issue not effecting all Ergon/Bontrager users.

Carbon bar reinforcement plugs are also a good idea. Better safe than sorry. We produce one called the HS100. Other companies make this simple item as well.

Lastly, all we can say is torque wrench, torque wrench, torque wrench. Follow the torque specs on both the bar and grips.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

The bars' instructions just say no bar ends. I'm not looking for the ergons with bar ends, just the grips. The plugs a good suggestion, I wasn't sure if the ergons came with anything at all. And yes, I have good torque wrenches that can go down to the torques listed in the install instructions.

Thanks Jeff!

The Missing
    May 2007

- FSA
    - Ritchey
    - Easton
    - Salsa

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Does the HS100 fit the EC90 flat bars ?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    The bars' instructions just say no bar ends. I'm not looking for the ergons with bar ends, just the grips. The plugs a good suggestion, I wasn't sure if the ergons came with anything at all. And yes, I have good torque wrenches that can go down to the torques listed in the install instructions.

Thanks Jeff!
    You are good to go then if you are running our non-barend grips. No issues there.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pernfilman
    Does the HS100 fit the EC90 flat bars ?
    Yes.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a cheapo Forte' Carbon bar with Oury lock-ons - zero problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

- FSA
    - Ritchey
    - Easton
    - Salsa
    Hi Jeff,

I'm interested in the GX3 grips that have the longer bar ends and the Ergon manual states that they should not be used with carbon bars. This seems to conflict with what you state here. FWIW, I would like to use them with Easton carbon bars.

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by majl
    Hi Jeff,

I'm interested in the GX3 grips that have the longer bar ends and the Ergon manual states that they should not be used with carbon bars. This seems to conflict with what you state here. FWIW, I would like to use them with Easton carbon bars.
    The GX3 barend is different from the rest of our barends....different interface, clamp, and clamping force. I HIGHLY suggest a reinforcement plug such as the HS100 or other brand. For what it is worth, I am running the GX3 on a Syntace bar with no bar plug. I cannot state loud enough....'Use a torque wrench.'

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    The GX3 barend is different from the rest of our barends....different interface, clamp, and clamping force. I HIGHLY suggest a reinforcement plug such as the HS100 or other brand. For what it is worth, I am running the GX3 on a Syntace bar with no bar plug. I cannot state loud enough....'Use a torque wrench.'

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Which Syntace Bar?

Ergon Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Which Syntace Bar?
    Duraflite 31.8 Carbon: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1496#

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Duraflite 31.8 Carbon: http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=1496#

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Thanks. I have the Carbon Vectors and I may try out the GR2's at some point. Are they more for hand position or for climbing leverage?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    OK, so if I use the plugs and use a torque wrench to spec, I should be OK? How do you like the GX3's, btw? I like having a longer bar end and would like to give Ergon grips a try. I could just go with a GX1 and use the Specialized P2 bar ends I'm comfortable with, but the integrated GX3 would just look cleaner.

Ergon Bike
    Thanks. I have the Carbon Vectors and I may try out the GR2's at some point. Are they more for hand position or for climbing leverage?
    Both. That is the beauty of barends.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

Ergon Bike
    OK, so if I use the plugs and use a torque wrench to spec, I should be OK?
    Yes, no problems.

How do you like the GX3's, btw?
    Love it! I used to be a GR2 Carbon user, but since the day we started designing the GX3 barends....I have been waiting. Finally got the GX3 here in the USA back in June. I have been on it ever since. Most of my riding has been out here in Colorado. My riding style is endurance based.....so the barend is great for changing up hand positions and getting some massive leverage on steep grades. Now, I am waiting until the day we offer the GX3 barend on GP1 style of grip.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, no problems.

Love it! I used to be a GR2 Carbon user, but since the day we started designing the GX3 barends....I have been waiting. Finally got the GX3 here in the USA back in June. I have been on it ever since. Most of my riding has been out here in Colorado. My riding style is endurance based.....so the barend is great for changing up hand positions and getting some massive leverage on steep grades. Now, I am waiting until the day we offer the GX3 barend on GP1 style of grip.

Jeff K
    Ergon USA
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll be ordering up a pair.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    This is all because of my thread about bar ends isn't it I'll see you on the podium!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    This is all because of my thread about bar ends isn't it I'll see you on the podium!
    I did my first SS ride on thursday, and although I anticipated it, it was more severe than I thought it would be. On a few climbs, it felt like I was doing max reps for arm curls and legs press. I might need another wider hand position. I am going to give the flatbar with ESI grips a couple of months first.