mtbr member

EPIC EVO any good ??

Hi , a few months ago MBR magazine in the UK ran a "VERY" favourable review of the 2011 Specialized Epic Evo, awarding it an impressive10 out of 10.
    Thats the only review Ive been able to find - that same review , regurgitated in part or repeated in full -
    1/ Are there any long term owners out there who can share their thoughts and experiences.
    2/ Are their any major faults with the bike .
    3/ Have any owners EVOed thier EVO,s ??? by fitting further after market parts.?
    4/ How light is your Epic Evo ? Spesh say around 26lb, but with full tubeless and perhaps carbon bars - etc ?.
    BASICALLY... is it as fast and good as they say it is ?.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I own a 29 Evo and love it! I added carbon Roval wheels, and lightened a few components, brake rotors, stem, seat, seatpost etc. Currently at about 22.75 lbs for a large set up tubeless.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How are your Carbon Rovals holding-up? I also have an Evo 29er, and just bought a set of Carbon Rovals.......

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    good bike. though many people quickly find the limitation of running 1 x X setups. the good news is that you can always buy the components to switch to a 2 x X and bolt them right on.

i love my epic. the only thing better than my race bike from this year is likely to be the race bike they sell next year... ARGH.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    i love my epic. the only thing better than my race bike from this year is likely to be the race bike they sell next year... ARGH.
    2012's have autotune.. seems like all the s-works versions have carbon rims... specialized is the new apple.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I heard that you would need to change out the crank to fit the 2xX, is this true? can you reply with the components you need to change to 2xX?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme View Post
    good bike. though many people quickly find the limitation of running 1 x X setups. the good news is that you can always buy the components to switch to a 2 x X and bolt them right on.

I heard that you would need to change out the crank to fit the 2xX, is this true? can you reply with the components you need to change to 2xX?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtorowus View Post
    I am like 99% certain that you don't need to change the crank. That crank should have a spider on it just like the X0 so all you would have to change is the spider with the new rings, derailleur and shifter.

mtbr member
    If it's the same carbon crank as on a '11 SJ HT carbon EVO R (which I think it is) then it is 1xX only. The small ring mount is not prepped for a ring.

So your needs are crankset, front der., left shifter for sure. Possibles are longer chain and med-cage rear der. if you don't already have it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bioteknik View Post
    2012's have autotune.. seems like all the s-works versions have carbon rims... specialized is the new apple.
    autotune? Are you talking about autosag? That's only on stumpjumper fsr's

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wheels are holding up great, about 700 miles on them and the front wheel bearings have called it a day but otherwise no complaints. I cant think of another bike I would like to own other than the S-Works version (set up 1X10 of course).

Quote Originally Posted by mtorowus View Post
    How are your Carbon Rovals holding-up? I also have an Evo 29er, and just bought a set of Carbon Rovals.......