mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Endurox R4 vrs cytomax vrs acelerade?

has any one tried these suplements and does it works, wich one do u thinks helps the moust in training?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanmol
    has any one tried these suplements and does it works, wich one do u thinks helps the moust in training?
    The best one is the one that you feel tastes the best because then you'll actually use it.

The general recommendations for carb intake during races / rides lasting longer than 1 hr is 30-60grams/hour. As I'm finding there is a certain threshold than can be tolerated before you get bloated/burpy. And it takes experimentation to find this.

In addition stomachs tolerate the sugar source differently. Some energy drinks get their carbs from a single source of carbs, others from a carb blend. In addition, you'll see propoganda touting complex carbs over simple carbs for use in sports. There was a recent article in Bicycling saying that carb blends are absorbed faster and they cited the power bar drinks as a carb blend. (though I think there is some connection between Roadale publishing and Power bar cause they are always hyping their stuff as is Chris Charmicael who is also connected to Power bar)

Just don't try them out the for the first time in a race, experiment with each one.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

Big ring = No chainsuck
    All I know is that acelerade is WAY too rich and syrupy for use during high intensity efforts. And since that is kinda when you need it most, it is just too much in your mouth. Cytomax seems to have a much better flavor.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes...
    That way, when you criticize him you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I like HEED for under 2 hour stuff. I haven't felt bloated from it yet, unlike Gatorade and Accelerade. Endurox is really more of a recovery drink, though it's almost identical to Accelerade. I think Accelerade would be ideal for a lower intensity, long ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm doing an epic race this Sunday and I'm going with Accelerade as that was what some of the racers were using for the Trans Rockies. I mix it a little weaker than what they recomend and I like lots of ice in it which is going to be a problem when I finish the first batch. If it tastes too raunchy I'll try what the organizers are offering. It's a long race so the intensity is going to have to be moderate.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

It's about showing up.

Cytomax for me.

I like it a little sweet and the orange tastes like Tang. Because I like it I drink it and that is worth a lot. On long rides I carry additional packets to mix as the hours pass.
    I do not drink it, however, too close to my first meal of the day as its' combination with my oatmeal breakfast is not a good one.

mtbr member
    I swear by Endurox as a recovery drink!
    For on the bike training, I agree with what everyone else has said, you need to see what tastes good and what you can stomach
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    If you run out during a race, you will drink anything. That is how I was introduced to Heed. Ran out of Accelerade. Wasn't a big fan of Heed, but now addicted to it. SOOOO much smoother than Accelerade. HOWEVER, I have a big tub of Accerlarde so I'm stuck with that for now. Still great stuff, just prefer Heed. Make sure you dilute Accelerade cause it does get thick.

I use Endurox R4 for recovery. I like it. Ingredients are close to Accelerade.

I just bought a pre-ride drink, I think its by Cytomax (I haven't received it yet).

Canuck
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nc-rider
    All I know is that acelerade is WAY too rich and syrupy for use during high intensity efforts. And since that is kinda when you need it most, it is just too much in your mouth. Cytomax seems to have a much better flavor.
    I use Accelerade, but use about 2/3 to 3/4 the amount they recommend, to make it less rich