mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Endurance rides: (1) 3hr vs. (2) 1.5hr. Difference?

Hey,

My main focus up until mid-late February will be getting a good aerobic base going. After a season of racing i know this along with extended climbing are definite weaknesses for me.
    I ask the question because i recently moved and my commute by bike is roughly 1 hour and i can tag a bit more onto that on the way in.
    My races are about 2hrs so i figured 50% more than that time for endurance rides would be good, so about 3hrs. But since they would be broken up into AM/PM does that change the training effect? Is there a better use of my riding time here?
    In addition to this i am doing a weekly Thursday road ride with a group that, although is supposed to be "endurance zone", ends up pretty intense for me; feels like a tempo ride. Lasts around an hour or so.
    I also hope to ride off-road 1-2 a week weather permitting.
    Thanks all

cs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cskolnick
    Hey,

My main focus up until mid-late February will be getting a good aerobic base going. After a season of racing i know this along with extended climbing are definite weaknesses for me.
    I ask the question because i recently moved and my commute by bike is roughly 1 hour and i can tag a bit more onto that on the way in.
    My races are about 2hrs so i figured 50% more than that time for endurance rides would be good, so about 3hrs. But since they would be broken up into AM/PM does that change the training effect? Is there a better use of my riding time here?
    In addition to this i am doing a weekly Thursday road ride with a group that, although is supposed to be "endurance zone", ends up pretty intense for me; feels like a tempo ride. Lasts around an hour or so.
    I also hope to ride off-road 1-2 a week weather permitting.
    Thanks all

cs
    Since you're max races are 2 hours, I think you are fine splitting up. If you do longer races, then longer rides are required in order to train your body to refuel itself.

I've read that splitting up rides has a caloric expenditure advantage. Repeats the workout "afterbuzz" another time during the day. Better for winter weight control. I just hate getting all my crap together a second time, so I usually do my rides all in one shot.

It's good to have some intensity during the base phase, so a weekly hour tempofest will probably do more good than harm, IMO.

I also believe that programs designed with lots of Endurance (Z2) are meant to have some strength work involved. If you're not weightlifting, then you may want to do some bike "strength" work.

If you're following Friel and not weightlifting, then you're not really doing his plan correctly.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    Since you're max races are 2 hours, I think you are fine splitting up. If you do longer races, then longer rides are required in order to train your body to refuel itself.

I've read that splitting up rides has a caloric expenditure advantage. Repeats the workout "afterbuzz" another time during the day. Better for winter weight control. I just hate getting all my crap together a second time, so I usually do my rides all in one shot.

It's good to have some intensity during the base phase, so a weekly hour tempofest will probably do more good than harm, IMO.

I also believe that programs designed with lots of Endurance (Z2) are meant to have some strength work involved. If you're not weightlifting, then you may want to do some bike "strength" work.

If you're following Friel and not weightlifting, then you're not really doing his plan correctly.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have Friel's book but it is packed away until the move. I remember there is a chart with weekly riding hours and how long your longest ride should be, roughly. I guess i need to sit down and see how much, roughly, i want to ride per week. Realistically i have 3 days off from work, start at 10am most days, and have no real other obligations for the next few months. Maybe i should go a bit nuts on training time and see what happens.
    My new place does have a big, very steep road climb next to the local trails (granted i am in NYC so it is not big compared to the rest of the world) that i will climb in a bigger than usual ring for strength work...It is a quick rip back on singletrack to the bottom so it is a cool training ride close to home.
    I will be lifting but more for core strength and muscle balance.
    Good to know about the possible calorie component. I am not big but i am around 195lbs. at about 6'2'' so i would like to slim down a bit. It seems most of the top guys at this height are quite light, 160-165lb range. I do not think i would want to be that light but i think 175-180 would be a fine goal.

Thanks again
    cs