mtbr member
    Dec 2010

End of season rest

So, at the end of the season (last race) do you take time off the bike? Ride easy for a couple of weeks? Do some cross training? Not even look at a bike for 2 weeks? Drink beer? Race cross?

Just interested to know what others do for annual recovery time, if you take any at all. I know people that stay away from the bike and others that keep riding but just for fun. Have taken a couple of weeks off the bike the last 2 years and gone to the pub. Thinking of a different approach this year, keep riding (to work) but way less volume and intensity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i like cross a lot so i end up focusing on racing, promoting a couple races and running a weekly practice. I dabble in XC ski racing in the winter, so that serves as a clean break from the bike, though I do ride maybe 3x a week

mtbr member
    cyclocross. I am a full time mountain biker, but I have found that I actually like CX racing more than XC racing. I got myself a cross bike this season, no more modding the 29er into a CX-ish bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    from what i hear it is a bad thing to take more than 2 weeks off the bike (for year on year gains), but it is a good idea to have some time off the bike while maintaining some activity (cross training like XC skiing is apparently the best if you look at athletes like C-Pen)

this is directly contrary to what i observed after my accident that had me off the bike for nearly 3 months last summer. though i wouldn't recommend it to anyone, i have had a great return and have raised my racing above what it was just before i broke my neck and patella. the caveat being that i might have been even faster still if i hadn't had such a huge interruption of my training last year.

this year i will be trying to have a bit of a distraction with racing cross, trail running, and swimming. in all honesty though i don't feel the "burnout" like many others due to the fact that my situation is a bit unique (my wife is an elite racer and that keeps my primary social/relationship outlet in tact during training)

the possible downside to not having enough cross training is the deterioration of systems that would be considered ancillary to racing bikes (bone density, arm strength, etc) that might lead to longer term injury or issues.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

I'd rather be riding
    The collegiate season is just starting for me, so it'll be a busy next few weeks. After that I plan on cutting back the bike hours some and getting back in the pool over winter.

mtbr member
    I went 6 days a week, from early April to end of July, so took a week off (active week of non-bike activities) first week of August. That week off did drop my power (according to the PM), but it's starting to come back. (Nearly had a 30s PR yesterday on our Tues night worlds; that was unexpected).

Now back to 6-days a week for a couple of late September road races and then go into "fall MTB mode". In Utah, the change of colors and cooler temps are beautiful; therefore, I've never gotten into cross.......maybe this season.

Typically, last week of October, I take another active week off the bike, and start base training in November, which includes some trips to Moab and St. George, which gets pretty ideal that time of year.

As mentioned above, I also like to winter cross train to help mitigate issues:
    -Crossfit for general fitness, bone density, and fun.
    -Traditional cycling weightlifting for strength, bone density, and mitigating muscle imbalances (not as fun).
    -Plentiful core work for lower back issues
    -Snow shoe for muscle imbalances and cardio base
    -XC skate skiing for fun and cardio base. But I really believe it doesn't help my imbalance since it further overbuilds the outside of my thighs. Should of bought classical stuff, but skating appeared more fun at the time.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    -XC skate skiing for fun and cardio base. But I really believe it doesn't help my imbalance since it further overbuilds the outside of my thighs. Should of bought classical stuff, but skating appeared more fun at the time.
    Classic is god's own skiing, and Swix Blue Extra is undoubtedly his choice of wax for most conditions. I just love getting out classic skiing, our conditions tend to make waxing tricky maybe 20 percent of the time and I got a pair of nowax for the few days when it's just hopeless. I skied in Tahoe a few years back, with that wet snow I suspect I'd be more of a skater, the waxing was pretty tough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I took about 3 weeks of any hard riding off after our spring season ended - I was completely destroyed and run down. I switched over to running and swimming pretty hard and even did a couple fun runs. After that I switched to roadie mode doing mostly crits and some road races (for me, these are way less fun and way more dangerous than MTBing). I did do some more fun-only type mtb rides to keep the skills up. Now I'm back to XC races in addition to weekly crits and road racing thrown in to help mix it up. I'm pretty weak on the road compared to how well I do in MTB races. On the road I am in maybe the top 15-20% of the local cat 4 group, while in mtn races I am around mid-pack in the open cat. This tells me I need to get much stronger if I ever want to contend for podium finishes in the Open MTB races (though I got 4th this weekend after 2 flats, it was pure luck and other competitors DNFing).

Last week I raced crits on Thursday, Super D and STXC races on Sat, XC on Sunday, and the Tour of Austin crit on Monday. I'm tired.

In a few weeks, I'll be doing more STXC and CX type events to work more on intensity before switching to marathon races in the winter to build up the base before spring. In central TX, there's not really an off season unless you want to take it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I spend a couple months riding for fun. I ride as often as I want, but I choose to ride with people who don't race. I miss these friends all season long, so it's good to ride with them. I usually have 1 or 2 people I know who are getting into mt biking at any one time, so I often end up using the fall to take someone under my wing. Come Dec, I start structuring my plan and then begin it in Jan.
    Angie
    Check out my website!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Cyclocross for me. I swore I wasn't going to get into it this season, but I've been working out and going to practice races. I'm starting to get stoked. First one is this Sunday. So, we'll see - if I do a lot better than I have in the past, I'll probably try to do more races. Otherwise, I'll probably stop when the weather turns, and then start doing base with the roadies on my team. They get started in November. So I'll see how things go.

I'd also like to fit in a few long, non-competitive MTB rides. One of my favorite races didn't happen this year, but I'd still like to ride that trail. There's another trail I've been meaning to check out. And I haven't been to my favorite spot in a few weeks.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sounds like it's different for everyone. I usually do some early season cross races but just not feeling it this year. After my last MTB race at the weekend I'm going to ride easy/fun for a few weeks with no training pressure before starting cross training and general prep. Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've just taken 3 months off - I'd raced through spring and summer, and into early autumn, and simply ran out of motivation and passion - so I guess for me, it was more of a mental recovery I needed rather than physical. I kept up a fair bit of running, and started doing some hiking (5 - 7 hours) up in the hills, which kept me sane. Eventually, I found some motivation and rekindled my passion for MTB.

As has been said, everyone is different in what they need, and what works for them. For me, taking the time off to recharge is super important, and I know it will set me up well for our upcoming spring/summer season.