noob

Elevation Training Masks?

has anyone used these things? do they do anything. a buddy uses one for weight lifting and such and he seems to like it but it seems pretty gimmicky to me.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    In regards to elevation training for cycling, I believe the best methodogy is to "live high, train low".

Therefore, if using this high elevation simulation mask, it's best to wear it all day, except when exercising.

That's if you live at low elevation.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

works pretty good for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    its the same premise as interval training. deplete oxygen. Just hold your breath at the start of all long climbs and drop the hammer. When you cant hold your breath any more and see stars start breathing (careful of hyperventilation). now keep climbing and it will feel just like your in Colorado!

Enjoy!
    ORP

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Why would you want to wear this?

What is the purpose? To prepare you for an event at altitude?

If you lived/trained at altitude you could not make the power you could at sea level.

Example; At altitude your FTP was 230. At sea level (approx. 5% increase) it would be 240+. Why train with less power on purpose?

Per Joe Friel
    "Iím often asked if I come back to a lower altitude in Scottsdale (about 1,800 feet or 550m at my home there) in better aerobic shape from having spent time at a higher altitude. While thereís no doubt that it feels easier down there after a few weeks in Colorado, I have never believed there was much of an aerobic benefit. A moderate altitude such as in Boulder never seemed to do much to stimulate an increase in red blood cells, it seemed to me. In fact, all it seemed to do was make my training just a slight bit slower. Any benefit I get from being in Boulder is more due to the great training venues and weather than it is to the altitude, I believe."

Joe Friel's Blog: Moderate Altitude Training