mtbr member

Durathon training for a NOOB!!!

How long would I need to trail and what type of training break down would it be for a run/bike durathon. I'm thinking of trying the Dirty Spokes durathon at Oak Mountain. It will be 3.10 mile trail run and 10.95 trail bike. This would be my first race ever but it just sounds like it would be fun or at least a learning experiance.

The Missing
    May 2007
    how much running and cycling are you doing now per week, how many hours of each ?

If you are doing any you can pretty much walk into any event.

What your expectations are for the event will dictate the training.

mtbr member
    Agreed with last poster...depends on how well you expect to do in the race. I did the OM race last year and one in GA this year. I hardly run at all anymore(since HS - 15 years) and the run portion was VERY tough. OM has a very tough run section...some is fairly level on the family trail and then it takes off to some very hilly sections(this part was tough on a lot of people).

mtbr member
    I'd like to finish pretty good but just finishing would be nice. The running will be the hardest part seeing how I haven't ran in like 10+ yrs. The only reason for doing it is it just sounded like fun.

As of now I run 0 miles and ride 12 -18 miles thru the week and 5 - 10 on the weekend. Alot of the time I have my wife with me and 5 miles is her max.

I have thought about using my bike to get to work which would be 12mile round trip.

mtbr member
    If finishing is your only goal then it sounds like you'll do ok. The duathlon is a lot of fun...also slightly tough. I'd suggest running a short distance after your regular MTB ride. Put the bike on the rack and take off to the family trail and try to get about a mile loop. One run a week won't take too much time and will really help a bunch. This will also give you a chance to practice your transition from bike mode to running mode. Be as quick as you can when you finish your ride, throw your running shoes on, grab a small water bottle and take off. Practicing the transition will help you be quick and comfortable when race day comes too.

Crash Test Dummy
    Jan 2009
    Hey guys,

If I could piggy back on this thread I have no idea what I am getting into. I have been off the bike for a few months now and only really ridden DH. Do you guys have any tips for the crossover from DH to XC as far as making the best out of my platform petals and setup?

Thanks,

EE

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico117 View Post
    Hey guys,

If I could piggy back on this thread I have no idea what I am getting into. I have been off the bike for a few months now and only really ridden DH. Do you guys have any tips for the crossover from DH to XC as far as making the best out of my platform petals and setup?

Thanks,

EE
    We are a pretty friendly group here, so you could start your own thread for this question. I too have raced DH at one time yet I also raced XC at the same time. Where as your platforms are great for DH, they are horriable for XC since you can't get as much power on the climbes. I would start using clippless pedals now and get use to them. I can't ride without them anymore, even on my DH bike if you can believe that.

You will find your bike handling skills to be far greater than most racers, yet XC races are won on the climb and only lost (not won) on the downhill. Concentrate on training your cardio system more than your bike handling skills. Once you get in shape, you will actually find that your DH skill improve along with your climbing.

There is more and better information on the XC racing sticky on this forum.

Have fun.