mtbr member

Durable rear tire?

For the second time this summer, I opened an un-sealable cut on my rear Rocket Ron 29x2.1 during a race, a 50-miler with no rocks to speak of, on a downhill fire road, no less, while in the podium hunt

I loved the set of these new tires, Fast, very light, grippy, they seemed to be all 3. However I'm on the heavier end of Cat 1 and I've come to believe that I need a more durable rear tire.

I put a Nanoraptor in the rear. At 600g it seems to be a good compromise and mated well with the Rocket Ron in front. The Nano is supposed to be the tire of choice for the Tour Divide so I know it's durable and rolls well.

Other choices I'm considering: Continental Race King 2.0 (do they make a Protection version?), Fast Trak Control 2.0, Renegade Control 1.95 (too narrow a match?). I like to have a bit of climbing traction for roots and mud.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have you tried a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1? I've raced them all season in Texas (Ignitor front) and our courses are pretty rocky. Ikon might also be a good choice, but they're pricey, especially in the EXO casing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the Crossmark recommendation.

The Ikon is a favorite of a lot of people. I cut the EXO sidewall version in the rear at the El Paso Puzzler (what a crazy race!), and the front at a Womble ride this summer after they were relegated to trainer duties.

I'm looking for a 2.0-2.1 to keep the weight reasonable, price is not really a concern since the Schwalbes are expensive.

I am about 180lbs out of the shower. I know other riders my size, but most don't ride as fast or often. Also I'm not much of a finesse rider. I noticed that Wells chose a set of Renegade 1.95s at Leadville this year, with the Control casing in the rear. That's the lightest durable tire I can find so far.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...sUWotQnc#gid=0
    Last edited by chomxxo; 09-04-2013 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    I've been riding renegades this year. Although for one muddy race, I swapped wheels with my wifes bike, and used her racing ralph up front. The renegades are pretty much useless in the mud.

Why not run a snakeskin rocket ron if you like the tire?

mtbr member
    Weight, mainly. The 2.1 EVO is 485g, the 2.2 Snakeskin is about 650g. I was looking for something under 600 grams. On a FS I really don't need the volume either. Right now the Nanoraptor is looking like the best compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fakie1999 View Post
    I've been riding renegades this year. Although for one muddy race, I swapped wheels with my wifes bike, and used her racing ralph up front. The renegades are pretty much useless in the mud.

Why not run a snakeskin rocket ron if you like the tire?