Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Dropper Post for XC

What brand are you guys using for your XC hard tails? Weight is a concern. I don't think it is efficient to always have to stop to drop the post. It takes away from the fun of blasting up and down trails.
    So far the only reliable ones I found are Rockshox and Fox. I have the Rockshox Reverb on my AM FS bike. Like everything except the weight.

Thanks

(Please don't suggest specialized command post. Sorry to say but the saddle clamp is really bad and will not be considered)

mtbr member
    That's disappointing to hear. I'd read good reviews about the Specialized Command Post.

Right now I'm actually looking at a Crank Brothers Kronolog 125mm. It's under 500 grams. That's about the target weight for most dropper posts that I've seen. I have raced without a dropper post for several years and done well but due to my height it could definitely be to my advantage to use one. So, I'm willing to give it a try.

mtbr member

Dropper Post for XC

If it's for a hardtail do you need a 27.2mm diameter seatpost?

I don't think there are many 27.2mm dropper seatposts. KS Lev do one and there's maybe a new Specialized Command Post 27.2mm diameter with an inverted head also, as seen here on Conrad Stoltz's bike.

http://www.conradstoltz.com/index.ph...pic-world-cup/

mtbr member
    Good point about diameter. I ride a FS so my post is 31.6. The weight weenie in me is dying at the prospect of tacking on 300 more grams though.

Dang, Stoltz has got a QX1 ring, jel. Wonder if his XL bike weighs in at less than mine though? He's got some heavier wheels and tires, not to mention that weekend warrior bar setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dropper Post for XC-jet9carbon_01.jpg  

Last edited by chomxxo; 11-21-2013 at 02:06 PM.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I have the KS Lev and abolutely love it. Hardly any play (i.e. side to side wiggle) in the saddle post interface, and extremely reliable so far. Very smooth. I used it on my FS on fun rides and for technical XC races. I haven't thought about the weight...it just makes the ride more fun.

That being said however, there is a carbon-ish version coming out that will be a lot more expensive but seems to get the weight down of the Lev around 400-ish grams Doesn't have as much travel, but probably don't need all that much for XC rides anyway. Check it out: EB13: Kind Shock Adds Carbon LEV Dropper Seatpost ? Standard & Stealth Options

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have the specialized command post that was spec'd on my bike. I've had it for about three months and so far it's been trouble free.

I think I will take it off, replace it with a carbon post for most of my general riding around here and reinstall the dropper when I go to places like Moab with a lot of steep, ledge drop type trails where I actually feel the dropper is worth the weight. I just don't use it very much around here, (Summit County CO). We have plenty of rock and root infested trails with long downhills but there isn't that much where I feel a dropper is justified.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Running 31.6 on my carbon hardtail. Actually if i had a choice, prefer not to run hydrallic. Cable is simple

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    What brand are you guys using for your XC hard tails? Weight is a concern. I don't think it is efficient to always have to stop to drop the post. It takes away from the fun of blasting up and down trails.
    So far the only reliable ones I found are Rockshox and Fox. I have the Rockshox Reverb on my AM FS bike. Like everything except the weight.

Thanks

(Please don't suggest specialized command post. Sorry to say but the saddle clamp is really bad and will not be considered)
    Why is weight a concern?

300gm - at a guess, that's 10 seconds over a 60min XC lap - I would comfortably gap 95% of riders more than 20seconds on a 4 minute descent. An adjustable seatpost might allow you to have the best seat position going up as well as down. You don't see them in word cup races because those guys are stupidly brilliant going down, even on a hardtail.

Fun and safety

If you like em, ride em

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Weight is a concern coz I spend the past two years losing 10 lbs on myself(I am light weight and thin to begin with), and 10 lbs on the bike to finally get a 22 lbs bike. Dropper post has such good advantage on the downhill technical section that I want it. But I am constantly debating if it is counter intuitive to put that much weight back on the bike itself. I know the decent is going to be much more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    22 lbs is light for sure, the question is whether you are chasing weight for weights sake, or chasing performance.

10lbs definately makes a noticeable difference , measurable, and probably seat of of the pants noticeable. 1/2 a pound - not so much. At best 1/20th of the previous improvement.

Try it, if it makes a difference to the confidence and fun you have, you'll keep it and suck up the 300g , if it makes no difference to how you ride - ebay.

Your Best Friend

Re: Dropper Post for XC

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    You don't see them in word cup races because those guys are stupidly brilliant going down, even on a hardtail.
    You don't see them in most XC races because just about anyone is competent enough to ride down any downhill included in most typical XC races. Most racers are good. They just are. A dropper post will not give you a time advantage at all. If you like it and feel more comfortable with one then ride one but don't seduce yourself into thinking it will give you any advantage.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You don't see them in most XC races because just about anyone is competent enough to ride down any downhill included in most typical XC races. Most racers are good. They just are. A dropper post will not give you a time advantage at all. If you like it and feel more comfortable with one then ride one but don't seduce yourself into thinking it will give you any advantage.
    The only place I can see it being an advantage is on super steep and gnarly descents with good size drops, and even there I'm not sure it would be that much of a time advantage.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is and given the expense, weight, and how much trouble people seem to have with a lot of brands, I wouldn't have bought bought one.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I love my command post and have never had a problem with the saddle clamp.

As I get more confidence, I use it less.
    Last XC race, it got used 10-15 times per lap...

I'm going to get some carbon paste though, just for peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Not necessarily true. Saddle-bar drop for tall guys can be extreme (see photos above). For myself it would be helpful to get a tighter position around tight turns as well. Yes I have done very well for myself in Cat 1 without it, but I haven't tried a dropper post yet, so I'm not knocking it.

Your Best Friend
    I'm 6'3" and most would consider me a tall guy. If you can't get lower around a corner without dropping your seat post, you're doing it wrong. I'm a pretty strict XC style guy but I do have skillz. I bought a dropper earlier this year and rode it for almost the entire season. Pretty much decided it was worthless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Depends on the course. Some courses I never use it, others I have gapped people on knarly descents laughing all the way to the finish line. Won' t race without one, family commitments prevent me from pre-riding courses. I use the reverb, thomson looks intriguieing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatmeworry View Post
    Depends on the course. Some courses I never use it, others I have gapped people on knarly descents laughing all the way to the finish line. Won' t race without one, family commitments prevent me from pre-riding courses. I use the reverb, thomson looks intriguieing.
    Horses for courses, I have one, but I don't use it in races, mainly because i find I need to take some seconds to adjust and also I forget to put it back up, BUT some tracks to lend it some advantages.

An example of a time where it helped was at mt stromlo in Canberra , passed by a female team rider when she called for track (Jenny Fay), with seat down, I easily held her wheel for the km descent - this was mainly a downhill course.

Either way, dropper posts are an advantage when generally riding, rarely on an xc course, but ad to the fun content.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and most would consider me a tall guy. If you can't get lower around a corner without dropping your seat post, you're doing it wrong. I'm a pretty strict XC style guy but I do have skillz. I bought a dropper earlier this year and rode it for almost the entire season. Pretty much decided it was worthless.
    Yeah, no. I mean really tight trails, full of turns. Y'all don't have enough trees in Utah to understand, lol.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Y'all don't have enough trees in Utah to understand, lol.
    Huh? You need to get out more.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sorry you lost some money on this, but semi-glad to hear it. I demoed some Treks a few weeks ago specifically because they had dropper seat posts. Decided not to buy one. I was actually kind of excited about the idea before I went, too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Your Best Friend
    Yeah, honestly the only reason I got one is because of my hook up at the shop I help at (specifically for hook ups). It cost me nothing. I may put it on again if I get sufficiently bored but...Anyone want to borrow it for awhile?

mtbr member
    Huh? You need to get out more.
    I was trying to gently point out that you're outclassed. When it comes to very tight situations vertically and in cornering, in Category 1, racing, ahem, the difference will manifest itself a little more clearly. I think a while back you said you're like 200 pounds?

I'm looking forward to trying a dropper post in the offseason and timing my laps against the fast little guys on the tight, twisty trails. Just for comparison's sake, I'm talking about moving from third place Cat 1 podiums to 1st place, on just those trails that would help me. Thanks for understanding that we're in the XC Racing and Training thread.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The gap that you get to other riders is sort of meaningless when analyzing equipment. What matters is the gap you get to yourself.

Give an honest effort and you will find that a dropper post does not make you 20s faster on a 4 minute descent. And if it actually does, you either need to practice descending with your seat up or your descents are much more gnarly then those found on any XC course.

I have found that on extended descents I end up being a bit slower with a dropper post. I find I fatigue quicker because I end up standing in place where I would sit and rest.

The Nimby 50, a race in Pemberton BC, has a descent called overnight sensation. Most who have ridden the race would agree that it is gnarliest descent found in any XC race anywhere. I am reasonably quick down in it, top 5% of all racers. I have ridden it with and without a dropper post. The difference in my times is minimal, I was quicker with my seat up, but that is because I had a better run.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Why is weight a concern?
    300gm - at a guess, that's 10 seconds over a 60min XC lap - I would comfortably gap 95% of riders more than 20seconds on a 4 minute descent. An adjustable seatpost might allow you to have the best seat position going up as well as down. You don't see them in word cup races because those guys are stupidly brilliant going down, even on a hardtail.

Fun and safety

If you like em, ride em
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    You are absolutely correct, I think my reply leads you down the garden path a bit. The info about down hill speed was just me big noteing lol. Never done a timed difference, and only used the dropper on a race that included the bottom half of a national downhill course.

The stromlo downhill course wasn't about gnarly rock step downs etc - it is about berms, speed, doubles, triples A, B and C lines. I don't know about other peoples bike setup, but mine means a lot of weight over the front when going down, which is great for tight turn grip but absolutely **** for bumpy braking into a corner - you need to be able to control the back end.

How much benefit is a dropper? - I don't know. Does it confer some benefit? - of course it does. It is worth it? - see question 1.

We do a bit of all mountain racing round here, typically aimed at 5" 6" bikes with pedalling sections and usually shuttles to the top ( small vertical loss, maybe 100m for a section). Sort of like a mini downhill - these are won by fast people. IMO I can keep up with an elite XC racer , downhill on an xc course on a FS XC ( suspect FS helps here)but I have no chance in all mountain racing on my rig - I am not dumb enough, don't have the right equipment etc, and none of those guys run anything like the seatpost height you'd run in XC.

I believe that someone running only a. 1" drop from seat to bars or less probably has nothing to gain, because you can so easily get behind the seat in at setup, once you get to 2", 3" and more drop, that MOFO of a seat is smashing all sorts of parts of your body

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    The gap that you get to other riders is sort of meaningless when analyzing equipment. What matters is the gap you get to yourself.

Give an honest effort and you will find that a dropper post does not make you 20s faster on a 4 minute descent. And if it actually does, you either need to practice descending with your seat up or your descents are much more gnarly then those found on any XC course.

I have found that on extended descents I end up being a bit slower with a dropper post. I find I fatigue quicker because I end up standing in place where I would sit and rest.

The Nimby 50, a race in Pemberton BC, has a descent called overnight sensation. Most who have ridden the race would agree that it is gnarliest descent found in any XC race anywhere. I am reasonably quick down in it, top 5% of all racers. I have ridden it with and without a dropper post. The difference in my times is minimal, I was quicker with my seat up, but that is because I had a better run.

Your Best Friend

Re: Dropper Post for XC

Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    I was trying to gently point out that you're outclassed. When it comes to very tight situations vertically and in cornering, in Category 1, racing, ahem, the difference will manifest itself a little more clearly. I think a while back you said you're like 200 pounds?
    Oh so sorry. I guess I need to weigh less to have my opinion mean something. Thanks, I forgot I didn't know how to ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast