bust a move

doubting / believing

a little long but I hope it might help keep someone motivated during training.

I am not a racer or even a trained athlete, just a oldish guy and his wife who are going on the vacation of their life late spring next year. We will be spending 3 weeks in AZ,UT,CO & WY, mtb & sightseeing all the way. I have read too many times about people going out west to ride on vacation and getting the asses handed to them with all the climbing and altitude. So, back about mid June I decided to get in as good a shape as reasonably possible due to the facts a) I am from FL & b) I will probably not have another opportunity to do a trip like this again.

We have averaged about 1 or 2 mtb & 3 urban rides a week totaling about 55 miles for the past few years. Since June I have that up to 6 days a week near 115 miles. Part of the extra miles come from riding up and down a new bridge in town over the intracoastal waterway (65 ft tall and 1/2 mile long). For the most part I do feel much stronger and have lost about 11 lbs so far without being serious about calorie counting. Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago I started riding a bit slower and feeling a little weaker during workouts and actually started letting it frustrate me and I began questioning all my efforts even though I knew the truth was different. I was feeling that way for about 10 days, almost to the point of posting in a thread about it last week. That crap feeds on itself! I know I'm not training to race but I want to know that the hard work is helping my fitness.

Fast foward to this past sunday morning, I woke up feeling pretty good and knowing that my wife could not go riding I headed out to my "home" trail to do 3 laps instead of the normal 2 that I do when she goes. The weather was a 9 plus and the trail condition was about a 7. As I said I'm not a racer but I do race myself...alot! I take off pretty quickly but hold back some as I am known to blow if I go out too hard early in the ride. By the time I get about 2.5 mi. in I realize I'm "killin it" and begin to lay down time checks that are way better than my best ever. When I finished I was amazed at the results, new one, two and three lap records. Each lap is 7 miles and my old record was set on my 50th birthday last march, 1:58:15 and I did 1:55:40 and my old fastest single lap was 38:35 and on lap 2 I did 37:40. These times are not fast for racers but they are for me. I think the fast do low 35's there.

The point of my post is not that my training is working for me but that we all struggle with things and during that struggle we often question, doubt and sabotage ourselves needlessly, when what we should do is to keep our heads down, keep working and keep believing that it is working, then later to know that it has worked. I see it a little bit like child rearing, believing that all of the goodness and hard work that you have poured into raising your child will come out as they become an adult, even though doubts may occur in the process, you still believe.
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 10-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Live expectantly.... Train accordingly.

A positive attitude on the trail makes the bike feel light and the extra training seems like it's building your endurance. Keep on riding the mountain bike and maybe cross train on a road bike, commuter, etc will put help get your mileage up and get you ready for your trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice post and good job sharing the stoke. I agree with you .....a lot. I struggle using training devices, but I train a bunch and your experience is very similar to what I seem to go through every year. I get close to throwing in the towel, and sure as ****, I have some form of great success relative to me! I blew up this summer about the end of July and just continued riding dispite how bummed I was from less than stellar racing. This fall has been one of the best that I have had in a while. I have been doing a lot of DH riding and super techy uphill stuff a lot better than ever. Not calling it training, but getting in a lot of saddle time. Belief versus doubt is my biggest competitor!
    Good luck with what you are doing and enjoy your trip. I think that coming west prepared is smart on your part and it will likely be one of your most memorable trips due to your fitness as much as anything else. I see so many people show up to ride "famous" trails and just get creamed out. They end up ruined for the rest of their trip due to a lack of fitness. Have fun.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pitanan View Post
    a little long but I hope it might help keep someone motivated during training.

I am not a racer or even a trained athlete, just a oldish guy and his wife who are going on the vacation of their life late spring next year. We will be spending 3 weeks in AZ,UT,CO & WY, mtb & sightseeing all the way. I have read too many times about people going out west to ride on vacation and getting the asses handed to them with all the climbing and altitude. So, back about mid June I decided to get in as good a shape as reasonably possible due to the facts a) I am from FL & b) I will probably not have another opportunity to do a trip like this again.

We have averaged about 1 or 2 mtb & 3 urban rides a week totaling about 55 miles for the past few years. Since June I have that up to 6 days a week near 115 miles. Part of the extra miles come from riding up and down a new bridge in town over the intracoastal waterway (65 ft tall and 1/2 mile long). For the most part I do feel much stronger and have lost about 11 lbs so far without being serious about calorie counting. Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago I started riding a bit slower and feeling a little weaker during workouts and actually started letting it frustrate me and I began questioning all my efforts even though I knew the truth was different. I was feeling that way for about 10 days, almost to the point of posting in a thread about it last week. That crap feeds on itself! I know I'm not training to race but I want to know that the hard work is helping my fitness.

Fast foward to this past sunday morning, I woke up feeling pretty good and knowing that my wife could not go riding I headed out to my "home" trail to do 3 laps instead of the normal 2 that I do when she goes. The weather was a 9 plus and the trail condition was about a 7. As I said I'm not a racer but I do race myself...alot! I take off pretty quickly but hold back some as I am known to blow if I go out too hard early in the ride. By the time I get about 2.5 mi. in I realize I'm "killin it" and begin to lay down time checks that are way better than my best ever. When I finished I was amazed at the results, new one, two and three lap records. Each lap is 7 miles and my old record was set on my 50th birthday last march, 1:58:15 and I did 1:55:40 and my old fastest single lap was 38:35 and on lap 2 I did 36:40. These times are not fast for racers but they are for me. I think the fast do low 35's there.

The point of my post is not that my training is working for me but that we all struggle with things and during that struggle we often question, doubt and sabotage ourselves needlessly, when what we should do is to keep our heads down, keep working and keep believing that it is working, then later to know that it has worked. I see it a little bit like child rearing, believing that all of the goodness and hard work that you have poured into raising your child will come out as they become an adult, even though doubts may occur in the process, you still believe.

peace...
    Nice...so when you look up at your first 3000 vertical foot climb.....remember do not doubt...just believe.

mtbr member
    " I would have passed you, but, I didn't want to mess my wheelie up" MB

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Nice...so when you look up at your first 3000 vertical foot climb.....remember do not doubt...just do.
    Fixed it for you.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

bust a move
    Thanks, I should have said in the original post that life has already taught me this lesson a couple times before, but this was the first time I had to learn it in cycling.
    butryon, thanks for sharing your exp. and good luck
    jeffscott, I love that quote!