Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dopers suck

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Dopers suck

Today I am wearing my Dopers suck socks

Friday night we are getting ready to head out, have nice dinner, enjoy my first day of spring break. Who shows up at our door, CCES (Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sports), Friday night plans gone because Catharine has to drink lots of water and pee into a cup. Oh well random testing comes with territory.

Saturday morning we are sleeping in for the first time in weeks. 7:30 a.m., who is knocking on the door? CCES again. I guess no sleeping in.

Why do Dopers suck? Because the testing and the where abouts program that my wife has to go through to make sure she is clean is a real pain in the arse.

mtbr member
    2 times in 24 hours?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Weird isn't it? You see that at competition test (you are tested before the race and after the race), but rarely at out of competition tests. We haven't seen them all winter. Last year they were fairly consistent maybe once every 8 weeks.

We think it may be a tactic to bust people. If you were just tested you may think "I am safe now, they will not test me for a couple of weeks."

Actually the testing generally isn't that bad. It is the whereabouts program that is a real pain. Particularly now where you have to guarentee that you will be some place for 1hr every day. What do you do if you are camping or if you spend the entire day traveling?

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    Actually the testing generally isn't that bad. It is the whereabouts program that is a real pain. Particularly now where you have to guarentee that you will be some place for 1hr every day. What do you do if you are camping or if you spend the entire day traveling?
    Todd Wells was writing about the new whereabouts rules on his website, what a massive pain in the ass.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I wonder if dopers wear;''testing sucks!'' socks?

locked - time out
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Todd Wells was writing about the new whereabouts rules on his website, what a massive pain in the ass.
    Maybe this is an entirely new set of rules, but the UCI has had whereabouts rules for the road for at least two years now.

Michael Rasmussen (former MTB World Champ, grand tour contender) got kicked out of the 2007 Tour, and suspended for 2+ years for lying about his location.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by duke of kent
    Maybe this is an entirely new set of rules, but the UCI has had whereabouts rules for the road for at least two years now.

Michael Rasmussen (former MTB World Champ, grand tour contender) got kicked out of the 2007 Tour, and suspended for 2+ years for lying about his location.
    The whereabouts system has been in effect for years. Recently it has changed and become way more strict. It use to be you could put: March 14th: 7-10: Home, 10-4: Trainnin,: 4-10 home. The testers would come and try and find you during that time. If they missed you because you were out, no big deal. Now you have to guarentee that you will be at a certain location for 1hr of the day. If they come looking for you and you are not there during that hour it is a doping offense.

The ADAMS program where you put your whereabouts in is a real pain in the arse to use. We added it up Catharine spent 12hrs between ADAMS, medical monitoring, and anti-drug testing this week along.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    The whereabouts system has been in effect for years. Recently it has changed and become way more strict. It use to be you could put: March 14th: 7-10: Home, 10-4: Trainnin,: 4-10 home. The testers would come and try and find you during that time. If they missed you because you were out, no big deal. Now you have to guarentee that you will be at a certain location for 1hr of the day. If they come looking for you and you are not there during that hour it is a doping offense.

The ADAMS program where you put your whereabouts in is a real pain in the arse to use. We added it up Catharine spent 12hrs between ADAMS, medical monitoring, and anti-drug testing this week along.
    LMN, you are in a good position for me to ask this, for an athlete when do they finally say "enough" and get out of the sport. In cycling where the monetary compensation pales in comparison to the "big" sports I would think it would be really easy to walk away.
    "Do not touch the trim"

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    LMN, you are in a good position for me to ask this, for an athlete when do they finally say "enough" and get out of the sport. In cycling where the monetary compensation pales in comparison to the "big" sports I would think it would be really easy to walk away.
    That is a hard thing to answer.

I work with two athletes who have to do whereabouts and are subject to random testing. One of them (my wife) makes a decent living off cycling, decent enough that it is worth while. The other who is just a bit slower makes no money from cycling. I am not sure how long you can go through all that without making any money.

Really though most elite racers are like the rest of us. They do it because they live it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It blows, but I'd rather be tested everyday and race in a clean sport than have a few dumbass' doping and never getting tested.

Is she heading to Pan Am's?
    [SIZE="5"]I am Cyclingdirt[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This is an enlightening thread for me. I'm not a pro and don't hang out with pros, so I was unaware the testing is such a burden. It does sound like a real pain in the butt and hassle.

I sure wish the testing techniques would become so advanced that they could test less and still do a great job of catching cheaters. Then the people who do that to get an advantage will realize it doesn't pay off. Unfortunately it appears that for some of those folks, morals and fair play has nothing to do with the equation and they just look at it as a risk/reward thing and believe they can minimize their risk and beat the system.

Personally, I could care less if there is a group out there who wants to train and race and use banned stuff. But they shouldn't be able to race with those who don't cheat and want to ride clean. The athletes have a right in my assessment to compete in a clean sport, not use stuff that can hurt them, and still have a level playing field.

In regard to the big sports in the U.S. like football and baseball, while they now give more lip service to testing, I still don't think they are really trying to catch cheaters and put an end to doping like cycling is doing and also track and field. The big commercial sports over here are just trying to appease the public and fans. They probably prefer that cheaters get away with it and hit 80 home runs or weigh 230 pounds and run a legit 4.3 40 yard dash.

I'm sorry you and your wife have to put up with that stuff. I think the solution is better testing, if they can figure out a less invasive way. It would be hard, because of course the dopers are always making advances as well with masking and new drugs. Someday the science may be there to lessen the burden on you.

Thanks for posting the info. I didn't realize the testing was so intrusive and time consuming. I wouldn't mind peeing in a cup and giving a small blood sample every now and then, but daily logs of where you will be and that limit how you can vary your schedule seem to be like a loss of some personal freedom. There can't be too much spontaneity in your life.

Monkey Space Pilot
    Mar 2008
    Doping sucks because as a fan I donít know if an achievement is ever real, I may never be able to cheer on a brilliant athlete again. The child in me wants to believe in heroes, but the pragmatist probably never will.
    Itís a great shame that the honest athletes have to endure the same regimes as the dishonest, but thatís what the sports currently need to do to try and regain some credibility.
    IMO anyone caught cheating should be banned for life, and should be taken to court for recovery of prize money and earnings which have been obtained through dishonest means. It needs to mean something to get caught not just a two year break then welcome back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Seems like you would be able to just tell them what town you're in and give them your cell number. They call or text and you meet them? Being somewhere at certain hours would not be fun.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by caladryl
    Being somewhere at certain hours would not be fun.
    In a way, it's just a part of her job.

Most people have to be somewhere at certain hours for over 40 hours a week.

Sure, testing does not at all sound fun, and more of a pain in the *** than it has to be, but it comes along with the job.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    In a way, it's just a part of her job.

Most people have to be somewhere at certain hours for over 40 hours a week.

Sure, testing does not at all sound fun, and more of a pain in the *** than it has to be, but it comes along with the job.
    Unfortunately you are right it is part of the job.

Although how many jobs are there where you have to list your location 24hrs a day three months in advance?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclingdirt
    Is she heading to Pan Am's?
    Yep. Flies out on tuesday. We had an epic ride in a snowstorm yesterday. So if it snowing she is ready.

XC rider
    I think its silly to give up all your freedom to "fight" the boogie man. Sounds like you are on parole. What next GPS leg bracelets to keep track of racers whereabouts?
    ccorc.org

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaboot
    I think its silly to give up all your freedom to "fight" the boogie man. Sounds like you are on parole. What next GPS leg bracelets to keep track of racers whereabouts?

That was actually considered and I think most athletes would prefer that.
    "Do not touch the trim"

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaboot

I think most althetes agree that a GPS tracking dot would be much prefered.

But I am with you. There is or was (not sure if it is finished) an interesting court case in Europe about whereabouts violating human rights. I am interested to see the ruling.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Everyone just needs phones with something like Google Latitude and then everyone can track each other :P

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Lance just got his 24th control test today. He must look like a pin cushion...
    http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What a pain - kind of takes the spontaneity out of life. Do you have to specify the whole 24h's schedule, or just that 1h where you guarantee your whereabouts? Maybe she can just put for every single day:
    0000h-0100h : sleeping in my bed, hahaha.

Yes, dopers suck.

mtbr member
    Interesting i was reading in this months Road about this. Does she have to do the DNA passport or is that only for UCI road teams?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Only the UCI mens road teams have to do Passport.

In MTB you have to do whereabouts depending upon your ranking. Men top 100 in the world, women top 40 in the world.

There isn't enough money in MTB to have a Passport program.

Sweep the leg!
    While I'm Anti-doping there's no way I'd tell anyone other than my wife (even then) where I'll be from day to day. I carry a phone, call me. Tell me I need to get tested and I'll be available within the hour. It worked that way for 13 years in the Army and the last two years my union has had the same accountability in place. I've got nothing to hide so I show up when called. Otherwise my time is my own.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast