mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Doing XCO race at XCM intensity

HIi guys!

I have been doing a few XCO races recently at about 1.5hr kind of duration. XCO suppose to be high intensity but I realized I can only hold the intensity for maybe 45mins then it start to slow down like i'm riding at those XCM intensity (breathing gets easier, stop responding to surges)

I've heard the pros could do a full XCO race with their average lap time near to their maximum one lap sprint lap time. As for me, my one lap time for a particular short course is 8.5mins and a I could only average 10-10.5mins average for 1.5hr. I would like to improve on my ability to sustain the high intensity, any particular workout?

Between I suspect I lack of off road endurance mileage since, I only do 1 out of 5/6 rides off road per week. Only around 2hr/week on the trail but 10+hr on the road a week.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by neobubblydino View Post
    HIi guys!

I have been doing a few XCO races recently at about 1.5hr kind of duration. XCO suppose to be high intensity but I realized I can only hold the intensity for maybe 45mins then it start to slow down like i'm riding at those XCM intensity (breathing gets easier, stop responding to surges)

I've heard the pros could do a full XCO race with their average lap time near to their maximum one lap sprint lap time. As for me, my one lap time for a particular short course is 8.5mins and a I coBe culd only average 10-10.5mins average for 1.5hr. I would like to improve on my ability to sustain the high intensity, any particular workout?

Between I suspect I lack of off road endurance mileage since, I only do 1 out of 5/6 rides off road per week. Only around 2hr/week on the trail but 10+hr on the road a week.

Thanks in advance!
    Be careful comparing yourself to a Pro. It can be discouraging because their performances are on a whole other level with the training time to back it up.

Make the time you have count:
    -For XCO, your longest ride need only to be 1.3-1.5 times the race time. The goal on this ride is a tempo all the way through working on efficiency, staying off the brakes, etc. It will hurt at the end and hurt for a long time.

Finally, it sounds like you are going too fast out of the start. You need to slow down a bit in the beginning so you have some punch in the middle and less variance between lap times.

You've got enough time to do okay at the lower categories. More is not necessarily better with recovery/adaptation being often ignored in racing culture. When you ride, work on riding less, but faster over the same terrain.

mtbr member
    Good advice. Instead of comparing yourself to the pros what I do is look at previous year (archived) times from the race I'm about to do. I look at the Category I'm racing in but now that I'm going to move up a category next year I'm already looking at the times in that higher category. I then figure out what they're averaging per lap and that is my goal for training.

Personally for me a heart rate monitor is a must for a race because when my HR gets too high I know that for my conditioning I need to bring it back down at some point or I won't last.
    "Like" the Brewery Ommegang facebook team page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...18356588347806

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't think its a pro/not pro thing its more about your characteristics as a rider.

When I'm fit I can do 5 laps pretty much at 1 lap pace. The only problem I have is that my 1 lap pace isn't anything special...

BTW I don't think its really possible to go too fast at the start. Its always worth doing the start flat out to get position and avoid queuing on at the entrances to singletrack sections