Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Does anybody run?

I've been running a little (3 to 5 miles, 3 times a week) as a way of keeping in shape when I can't ride and it's getting to be winter up here. I've never been a "runner" but it's becoming fun enough that I'm thinking of trying a 1/2 marathon in the spring. I'm not completely commited to it yet, and am wondering if anyone else runs as a means of cross-training during the off season.

Before getting bitten by this "running bug" I was thinking of buying a road bike for the spring and getting a little more serious on the bike. Will running through the winter help?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I ran though last winter, and it definitely prevented me from gaining any fat, and kept some baseline fitness intact (in addition to riding on the trainer about twice a week). It doesn't really make you a faster rider, but it's good for maintaining a base level of fitness in the off season. I know I'd much rather go for a run when it's 20 degrees than ride my bike.
    Trek/Gary Fisher Superfly
    Giant Anthem
    Trek Fuel Ex 8
    Lemond Buenos Aires
    Cervelo R3
    www.fasterthansome.blogspot.com

You wanna go ridin?
    I agree running will keep the base level of fitness up. I run all year to some degree but much more in the winter especially through deepish snow for an added workout. I've found out at least about me that biking helps me much more with running than vice versa but keeping the base up is valuable in itself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes, but it's because I'm in XC at school. So I run 5-6 days a week in the morning and ride at night(a lot easier than when XC's not in season though).

I (and my coach) think running is a great way to cross train, they seem to compliment each other well.

gunslinger
    I:

Run: True 550
    Row: C2 model E
    Ride: Trek 9.9 (& a Spinning NXT spin bike)

Bear in mind that running is hard for me still after my hip surgery 3 months back... running is a great workout and a great way to train.
    Last edited by selector; 10-21-2009 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run, ride when I can and do yoga regularly to stay fit. I never have a full on racing campaign that I train for, but when I do race I do fairly well for myself. If I was seriously training to race next year while running through the winter, I think I would try and find some other way in the gym (though I think I can do it through yoga) to build cycling specific strength to compliment the cardio gains.

I did the road bike thing years ago, and I have to tell you that for pure pleasure, I really prefer spending time running rather than on the road if I can't ride to the woods.

You know, the people to ask about this are the Xterra athletes. I've been meaning to hit up a triathlete for advice, myself.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Health Nut
    I run about twice a week through the winter and summer-mainly for triathlon training. I find it helps keep my Vo2 in check but it doesn't do a whole lot in terms of improving biking performance

mtbr member
    I used to run and will again. I'll probably start back up soon. I lift weights, do yoga, plyometrics, bike... it's all good.
    Running through the winter might help you keep your weight down and give you a mental break from riding the bike but the only way to get REALLY good at riding a bike is by riding a bike.

and eating well.

mtbr member
    Came across this a while back. I would like to work my way up to 10 by the end of winter.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1854-0,00.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

run

run from what? i ski 8-9 months of the year in new england to x-train. well actually i x-train on the bike for skiing. climbed 12,500 vert in the past 2 days skinning and skiing at sunday river in maine. they opened last wednesday through the weekend and are closed till this coming weekend, so spent 5 hours yesterday and 7 hours today, lapping the place. perfect corn snow with freeze at night and 50 degrees and sun during the day. from now into july=snow on the brain.

mtbr member
    Run on the days I don't ride, which is 2-3 times per week.

mtbr member
    i know a couple of guys doing the xterra world champs this weekend in hawaii. they have a similar story that biking helps your running but running does nothing to improve your biking. they definitely say that if you cant get on the bike, go for a run to maintain the base fitness though.

mtbr member
    ONLY if being chased.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Even though running trains a different muscle group (there is some overlap) its awesome for endurance and a "change of scenery". I started out as a hardcore runner (XC and track), got bitten by the mtb bug, then ended up combining it all into adventure racing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run quite a bit and did a season of MTB XC/Endurance races along with Marathons and Ultra marachons in 2007.....but sometimes the recovery is more difficult than cycling so it hurt my performance and times on the bike. If you are using it to stay in shape it's great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jahkneefive
    Even though running trains a different muscle group (there is some overlap) its awesome for endurance and a "change of scenery".

Serious XC racers will sometimes freak out at the notion that you would run at all for fear of losing some of the muscle adaptations they work so hard for on the bike. What areas of strength could potentially suffer if you primarily run through the winter?
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I run a bit just to change things up in the fall.

I have started to include year around running in my athletes programs. Not for fitness but for long term bone health. I have read way too many articles about cyclist and weak bones,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    cyclist and weak bones
    Did those study's include mtb'ers though? Would mtb'ing not help maintain bone density effectively?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Henchman
    Did those study's include mtb'ers though? Would mtb'ing not help maintain bone density effectively?
    No they didn't look at mountain biking.

But, no matter how much I would like to think otherwise, other than hitting the ground MTBings isn't an impact sport. MTBers are probably better off then roadies but I don't think we are out of the woods.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good news for mountain bikers from:
    http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...56328201007049

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to compare the bone mineral density (BMD) of two types of trained male cyclists (n = 30) with recreationally active men (n = 15), aged 20–40 years. Sixteen of the cyclists regularly trained for, and competed in, cross-country mountain bike races. The other 14 cyclists trained and raced on the road. The cyclists had trained an average of 11 3 hours per week for 8 4 years. Fifteen recreationally active men volunteered as controls. Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) was used to assess BMD of the proximal femur, lumbar spine, and total body. Anthropometric, muscle strength and power, aerobic fitness, and sex hormone data assessments were conducted on all participants. Mountain cyclists were younger and weighed less than road cyclists and controls. BMD at all sites was comparable among the three groups (p > 0.05). When adjusted for body weight and controlled for age, BMD was significantly higher at all sites in the mountain cyclists compared with the road cyclists and controls. Some anthropometric, physical fitness, and sex steroid variables were predictive of BMD, but of these variables, only total body weight, total body fat, and aerobic fitness were different between the groups. In conclusion, endurance road cycling does not appear to be any more beneficial to bone health than recreational activity in apparently healthy men of normal bone mass. Higher BMD in the mountain cyclists suggests that mountain cycling may provide an osteogenic stimulus that is not inherent to road cycling.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by strader
    Good news for mountain bikers from:
    http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retri...56328201007049
    Well isn't that good news.

mtbr member
    In conclusion, endurance road cycling does not appear to be any more beneficial to bone health than recreational activity in apparently healthy men of normal bone mass
    Its interesting, are they considering road cycling endurance and mtb recreational? They just say 11hrs +/-3, dont really differentiate.

I remember listening to a podcast about a year ago that talked about low bone density in road cyclists, the lack of impact was one reason, but also the loss of minerals due to sweating for long durations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    "recreational activity" was referring to the n=15 non-cyclist subjects in the control group. "recreationally active men" in the first sentence of the abstract.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Serious XC racers will sometimes freak out at the notion that you would run at all for fear of losing some of the muscle adaptations they work so hard for on the bike. What areas of strength could potentially suffer if you primarily run through the winter?

This is what I was wondering about - Could a person lose the cycling leg strength that they gained thru the summer by running all winter? Maybe if I got a trainer and rode 1 or 2times a week.

Just Ride.
    No it's to hard on my knees and ankles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast