mtbr member

Do you take a break from eating right?

Let me start by saying that I am not a racer, maybe someday but not now. I like to ride for fitness and stress relief. I also try to eat decent so I feel better on the bike and life in general. It seems like a few times a year, I pretty much just throw my healthy eating out the window and snack on sweets, eat larger portions, eat things I normally would not, ie fatty foods. I do this and tend to put some weight on, get disgusted and go back to a more balanced diet. Just curious if others do this through the year.

I'd rather be riding
    Yep it happens about four times a year for me. I call these weeks, midterms and finals.

mtbr member
    If I'm training I usually have a cheat meal once in a while but eat well all other times because I don't like to waste time and effort. Diet is huge to your progress.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My season just wrapped up. I couldn't wait to get a fast foot burger for the first time since Spring. Wound up very disappointed and went straight back to my rabbit diet and chicken breasts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    My season just wrapped up. I couldn't wait to get a fast foot burger for the first time since Spring. Wound up very disappointed and went straight back to my rabbit diet and chicken breasts.
    I can only imagine the disappointment, a foot burger sounds horrible!!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Eville140 View Post
    I can only imagine the disappointment, a foot burger sounds horrible!!
    Foot burgers are fairly lean right? Yeh...I would stick with chicken if I had a choice too.

It's about showing up.
    I recall when Lance and the guys were in the area for a Tour de California. They were all over In & Out Burger.

I think you'll live.
    I don't rattle.

Always pushing harder!!!
    My last race was two weeks ago and I've just finished my 4th beer after some greasy take out...left overs are for breakfast...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    if it takes mental effort to maintain the discipline.... it is best to take a break than to have a break down when you least want it!

i am more than 5 lbs heavy right now.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    best way i found not to have a hugh blow out is to factor in 1 day a week of 'enjoyment' food. Nothing over the top but a reward for the hard work. That way I manage to stay around my 150lb fighting wieght all year
    cheers
    Pagey

Bro Mountainbiker
    Every meal is a cheat meal for me. Here's to being young! Hip Hip Ho-ray!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    My problem is the guys in the office don't help. They bring in donuts and stuff and I have no control.

Tipped the scales at 170 the last couple of weeks (was 165 in August). I don't buy junk food but some how it comes around to me anyway.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    I manage to hover in the 160-165 range during racing season, and typically gain 5 lbs off season.

During the racing months, I can get away with indulging more frequently given the pace of racing and training. However, it catches up to me come rightabout this time of year. Indulging needs to be monitored.

On the whole, Lamb, cheating every now and again will not hurt you. If and when you hit the Cat 1 or beyond, then eating like a supermodel is of utmost importance.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

Grip it and rip it.
    Yeah my diet has been way off track for the past couple of months (but still not terrible). The way i see it, it doesn't matter as long as i get it back on track when i start training seriously. Nice to have a mental break from thinking about what i eat the whole time.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you're trying to get faster/stronger you have to eat enough to do so. Cutting weight is easy, so save it for when you need to.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I always take a break from eating right, it's called winter here in Wisconsin. I usually gain 20 lbs or so, then bust my hump to lose it every spring. Just once I'd like to maintain a healthy weight for a full year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I always take a break from eating right, it's called winter here in Wisconsin. I usually gain 20 lbs or so, then bust my hump to lose it every spring. Just once I'd like to maintain a healthy weight for a full year.
    You need to be shopping around for a reliable winter rat for those long cold winters.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

Big Boy
    i cheat usually 6 days a week give or take. This helps keep me on my diet. If you never cheat you are more likely to drop the diet altogether.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    I'll gain some weight now that race season is over. I'll give myself a few weeks off to eat what I want and have some fun doing it.

Come November 1st I will be going right back into training mode for next season. I always have one cheat day though, and that day is always the the time following my race until I go to bed that night. I figure a typical race for me burns about 2k calories so I can eat about anything I want on those nights....Blue Moon ice cream is my favorite on race nights!!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....