mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Do I need to buy a XC bike?

Its my first season racing short track and I am currently ridding a Yeti 575 with a relatively lite AM build in the 30 lb range. I'm racing Cat 3 and have gotten top third in my 2 races. This brings me to my point. How much benefit can I gain from getting a dedicated XC race bike? Will it be worth the money or should I focus on my training. The budget would be in the $500 to $800 range.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by fluidmotion View Post
    Its my first season racing short track and I am currently ridding a Yeti 575 with a relatively lite AM build in the 30 lb range. I'm racing Cat 3 and have gotten top third in my 2 races. This brings me to my point. How much benefit can I gain from getting a dedicated XC race bike? Will it be worth the money or should I focus on my training. The budget would be in the $500 to $800 range.

$500-$800 isn't really going to buy you anything more race-worthy than what you've already got.
    Maybe take that money and invest in a XC race wheelset and tires.

Drop in?... Anyone?
    what cb2 said!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the help guys.

Iím currently rolling on Easton Havocs (1930 grams) wrapped in Nobby Nics set up tubeless. My setup uses a 20mm TA so my XC wheelset choices are limited. Two options are the Easton Havens (1650 g) and Mavic Crossmax ST (1615 g). Is the weight difference enough to justify the expense?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Your wheel choice is not limited. You just need a convertible front hub to run what ever axle configuration you want. Check out Stan's web site. You can upgrade to a Hope Pro2 front hub which uses press in end caps that don't require any tools to swap axle size. You can drop major weight off your bike with wheels and tires. Your frame is heavy but not a tank. I know guys with 575 in the mid 20lb range. Get a lighter seat,seat post,bars,pedals,and wheel/tire combo for your $800 and go ride more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

mtbr member
    The Yeti 575 is a sweet, sweet bike.

I currently have the Giant Anthem 29er and the Yeti, to me, doesn't seem like it's much out of the same league. I rented the Yeti in Moab and I recall it being pretty light and efficient for a 6 inch travel bike. I was just blown away by its performance.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Depends on how fit you are..

One of the faster local guys races on a FS 29er that is close to 30 lbs

mnoutain bkie rdier
    double post...sorry..

mnoutain bkie rdier
    A 30lb bike is definitely overkill if you are a fit XC racer who has minimal body weight to lose first...hint hint.

Maybe consider selling your 575 and adding the $800 for a true XC race rig? Used carbon 29er hardtail will be fairly affordable and fairly lightweight in that price range if you are patient and look around for a bit..

It will NOT change your results much though imo.. Perhaps if you are typically finishing 8th place..now you will be at 6th or 7th sort of thing...??

Last edited by rydbyk; 06-27-2011 at 11:59 AM.