mtbr member

Did my first race yesterday, 6th place!

I've been riding for about a year, casual trail rider, normally try to ride 5 times a week, but there have been stretches of several weeks at a time where I'm lucjy to get one in due to work travel, etc.

Good first race track, 8.6 mile loop, twisty single track, some dips, good spots for passing. I entered as a cat 3 Clyde, I'm 39 and was 228 on race day.

My goal was to finish middle of pack or better, I finished right in the middle at 6th, and passed several of the non-clyde group that was sent out before us. we were group 30 and I passed several group 28 and 29 riders and the only person that passed me in my group was my brother. I was very happy with my results but my brother finished 2nd which was awesome seeing as how he was one of the last ones into the woods and had to pass 8 or 9 guys in our group to get up there.

I was plenty hydrated, had started that about 4-5 days before due to the 106 degree temps we are having right now. I stuck to my eating plan and felt great but I just kind of ran out of steam on the last 2 miles. My legs felt tired. At that point I was so far ahead af everyone I had passed and was so far behind the guys up front that I just had a leisurely trail cruise by myself I had 2 incidents during the race where other cat 3 guys pulled into me when trying to let me by, I yelled "on your left" and they were kind enough to oblige, but they forgot their right/left and pulled over in front of me, one time I had to completely unclip and walk it out of the woods while he stood and apologized, all good though. Without those 2 instances I would have finished another 1 minute faster, maybe advanced another spot or 2 but I'm happy with the result.

Any tips on not running out of steam in the last couple of miles?
    I was very fast out of the gate and passed several guys in the first 2 miles, did I over do it?
    Maybe start dabbling with energy packs right before the start?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    How was the LBH race? Heard it was hot as hell.

Maintaining speed is the key IMO.

Really enjoying the 1x10 setup so far!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Was this the DORBA race @ LBH? If it was, I think I have an answer as to why you gassed. LBH is vastly underestimated as a racing trail because it is pancake flat (you can count to total elevation gained in a lap on 2 hands). Steve keeps the trail in exceptional shape, and with last week's rain traction was nearly ideal. This is a receipe for zero rest time... LBH was a dirt TT from Hell. I raced Cat 2, and was on the verge of cramping in the last 0.5 miles of the race... my HR was nearly redlined the whole race. You need to prepare for this kind of race just like a race with a lot of climbing or high technical requirements... train like you are going to race. If it is going to be a dirt TT, you need to ride long TT effort training ride... acclimate your body to riding at or just below LT for extended periods of time (like 45 min to 1 hr in a CAT 3 race). When you have a climbing race coming up, get out and do race-pace hill repeats (hard to find in Texas).

Oh, and a dose of Sport Legs 1 hour before the race helps as well.

-Ryan
    Last edited by Garthhog; 08-22-2011 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice, 1x10 is great, didn't think it would be that much different from 1x9 but man its smooth.

The heat was brutal in the sunlight, in the trees it was allot kinder.

As for the race, yeah, its pretty much a wide open sprint, I ran within 30 seconds of the same lap time I did Saturday. Sport legs would have helped me with a puch late in the race that wuld have kept me with the lead group and potentially a better finish but I think training for the pace would have been better for me. I was so busy the 10 days before I only rode the bike like 3-4 times.

mtbr member
    Oh, and I really missed my Niner EMD yesterday, I wish I would have thought about locking out the rear shock before the race, I left it in propedal but it was unecessary.
    I really need to get another 29er hardtail for a second bike, it would have been perfect yesterday, hell, a rigid 29er would have been brilliant out there I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    MadSedan, awesome job on your first race! As far as not running out of gas at the end for races of that distance My #1 tip would be to practice riding at race pace effort for at least the duration of a race. Your body will start to do funny things when it's not used to redlining such long periods of time. For races shorter than an hour, you could take an electrolyte filled bottle to help supplement your regular water (if you were using a camelback). I think you did good to start fast - you don't want to get caught up in a traffic jam. Though it wouldn't be too likely to happen on a course like LB Houston, it's good practice for future races where there aren't as many early passing opportunities.

I drove up from Austin to make this race and had a great time out there. I heard the trail was flat with lots of tight and twisty sections so thought it would be a great event to give my first race in the single speed category a shot (typically race on a 1x9 full squish). It turned out to be the flattest, fastest trail I've ever ridden. It was a whole lot of fun at speed and was great cornering practice, but I severely misjudged the trail since I'd never been there and ran waaaay too low of a gear. I was spinning like crazy trying to keep a gap on 2nd place in the open sections, but it took too much out of me on lap 1 and I had to let go of the lead a couple miles into lap 2. After recovering for a while, I felt pretty good in the tight sections, but still lost lots of time on the straights.

Something I noticed that surprised me was that although my legs were getting toasted spinning so much, my heart rate average for the race was 158, and only 153 for the final lap. Usually I'd have a 175-180 average. I guess SS makes for a different type of tired. The guy that got 2nd in the Open race was on a SS and said he ran a 34/16 on his 29er. I was on a 34/19 (also 29er). The guy that got 1st in SS open was on a 34/17 equivalent. Lessons learned!

I'll be looking forward to running suspension and gears at Camp Eagle in two weeks.
    Best. Venue. EVER. Check it out if you can.