mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New question here. Did my first race and got schooled - Need a training program to improve fitness

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before, I had a look around first and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I'm an Englishman living in Cambodia who has recently taken up mountain biking and want to take part in XC races here. I've been just doing weekend riding without any real training program as such and on Sunday attended my first race and got schooled on the kind of fitness required to participate.

To cut a long story short I hit the wall on the first lap of three on the final climb, I felt like my muscles were ok, but I was severely overheating and couldn't keep my heart rate down. Cambodia is a tropical country so 90-100'f and very high humidity is the norm.

The next race is in late December so I want to try and put together a training program and aim for a better showing next time out, the next race is in a mountainous region so the temperature and humidity will be a bit lower this time.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips or point me to some resources for training programs for beginners with poor fitness levels.

I own my own business and have a young family so time is at a premium but I think I could probably find about 10 spare hours a week to dedicate to the cause.

Regards,

Chris

mtbr member
    go here: lwcoaching.com

you may want to research electrolyte given how much you are probably sweating...

Formerly of Kent
    Do 2x20min VERY hard, two days a week. 5-10min between each rep. Warm , some short 15-20s sprint efforts ("openers") and cool down should account for the rest of the time. Ride easy/normal the rest of the time, one long ride on the weekend. That will suffice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another thing you can do is buy the book The Time Crunched Cyclist by Chris Carmichael and follow his program. It's geared to training for race situations on a very limited schedule. Alot of it's similar advice to Le Duke's 2-3 interval days per week but I know it helps me keep up with it if the interval days are more specific and have some variety to them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for feedback guys, plans offered at lwcoaching.com look very interesting, but a bit expensive at $99 a pop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke
    Do 2x20min VERY hard, two days a week. 5-10min between each rep. Warm , some short 15-20s sprint efforts ("openers") and cool down should account for the rest of the time. Ride easy/normal the rest of the time, one long ride on the weekend. That will suffice.
    +1

mtbr member
    cheers
    Pagey

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Start by riding more.
    You say you can squeeze 10 hours in, that should be more than enough.
    At first I'd try and build your endurance by doing rides 50% longer than the distance of your races, then ramp up the intensity.
    Don't over do it though. For someone with a full time career and family training 10 hours a week could be too much.
    Be sure to get enough rest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    10 hours was the absolute max, obviously if I could reach my goal in two hours a week that would be great ;-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You probably would be very interested in my new approach to coaching - I'm bringing my world-class coaching to everyday athletes at affordable prices:

www.AlisonDunlapCoaching.com

I'll let you check it out and decide for yourself. You can download a free sample training plan for your category to see for yourself what you'd be doing. Hope I can help you out!
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

FasCat Coaching
    There is a definite difference between a training program/plan and a Coaching program. It all depends on your needs and your level (commitment or racing). A training program provides you with an outline and workouts.

A full on Coaching program that FasCat Coaching provides; includes the same outline and workouts, but has accessibility to your own Coach, which includes but is not limited to; fully detailed and customized training program for your goals, and the ability to call/email WITHOUT limitations on contact.

Coaching programs are about the coach-athlete relationship, you have someone to bounce ideas off, provide oversight, motivation, feedback on your workouts and progression, ability to adapt and change your training program due to sickness, injury, etc.

There are values in both programs, but if you're really after your best performance then having someone to monitor and who is liable for your performance is the way to go.
    Last edited by sprocketjockey9; 10-28-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9
    Coaching programs are about the coach-athlete relationship, you have someone to bounce ideas off, provide oversight, motivation, feedback on your workouts and progression, ability to adapt and change your training program due to sickness, injury, etc.
    Amen.
    -

Addictive website!

TwoWheelTweets.com

All of cycling's twitter tweets in one place!

-

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    Of course a full-service coaching program is nice. I'm pretty sure Alison offers that as well through her personal site (alisondunlap.com). But for those of us who aren't made of cash - and for those of us that are self-motivated and just want a solid, scientific program to follow, something to take the guesswork out of training - Alison's $60/month is sure better than $150/month + $75 startup cost. Bike mechanics don't get paid that much - gotta keep bikes running, beer in the fridge, etc... Alison's program works for me.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have an Allison training plan.

I get on my bike and drool on my top tube trying to keep up with Allison.

Oh wait, we went over this at Sea Otter when we were waiting in line for a burrito... wrong Allison.

Inside joke that probably only I get. I am sure Allison probably doesn't remember the incident.