mtbr member
    Feb 2005

DB Combos version 3

Has anyone done the new DB Combos version 3 program from James Wilson?

I've heard good things about it helping with strength and mobility and how that transfers over to the bike, but I'm wondering if a program like this will cause you to put on excess muscle mass and additional weight.

I'm already a clyde and don't need more to lug around on the bike. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    No one does strength training?

Tre1nt
    Feb 2006
    Search "strength training" and "squats" as there have been some good discussions in recent weeks.

The main takeaway for me has been to stay committed to strength training as a supplement, but not a replacement, for on the bike training.

As a skinny guy, I get more benefit from basic power moves like squats and lunges than from muscular endurance work with dumbbells.

mtbr member
    Many cyclist will focus on core strength, but not much else. The additional mass doesn't really help you. If your a clyde, focus on the bike/ cardio to drop the excess lbs first.

With that being said, core strength is something I do in the winter mainly. It has helped me with back pain considerable.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I am currently doing the DB combos 3 program and have completed his prior versions of the DB combos program.

I really like the program and find it helps a lot on my riding capabilities. 2 areas that I feel have been specifically helped are upper body fatigue and lower back discomfort. Prior to doing any training other than riding I would find that lower back pain would be a major issue on extended rides and races. During the winter and early season I started doing the db combo program 3-4 days a week and I pretty much eliminated lower back pain and I didn't get as much upper body fatigue which allowed me to ride faster. After reading all the "you don't need strength training, just more riding" comments, I tried dropping the the "strength" training and just doing more riding during peak season, but after about a month I started to experience lower back discomfort again, so I started up the program again doing 2 days a week and lower back discomfort is all gone again. I have also continued to ride 3-4 days a week.

I don't notice any additional bulk from the program, in fact I have been steadily loosing 1-2 pounds a month all summer long and feel like I am in my best shape in years.

This is my first year of training\racing and I was only a light recreational rider before, so my conditioning for competitive MTB riding was probably on the lower end from some of the others on this forum . YMMV but the program has worked out great for me.

Hope this helps,

Bob

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yes it sure does Bob thanks.

I did the first Combo program and half of the second until I irritated a disc in my lower back. Not from that though. Long term injury and lack of core work.

I just got the 3 version and was trying to figure out all the moves this week. Next week I'm planning to really starting with 3 days a week on the combos program and ride as much as possible. We ride year round here so I don't really have an "off season" for the bike.

One thing I will say as when I did the first version of combos I did notice my back was stronger and my control/balance on the bike had improved.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sounds good. I've started it 4 weeks ago after having three episodes of a bulging disc since the end of March this year. I was lifting heavier weights, but thought a more rounded approach with slightly lower weight might be good for it. So far so good, even with the odd back to back 3-4 hour ride thrown in

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rwright8338 View Post
    After reading all the "you don't need strength training, just more riding" comments, I tried dropping the the "strength" training and just doing more riding during peak season, but after about a month I started to experience lower back discomfort again, so I started up the program again doing 2 days a week and lower back discomfort is all gone again. I have also continued to ride 3-4 days a week.

I don't notice any additional bulk from the program, in fact I have been steadily loosing 1-2 pounds a month all summer long and feel like I am in my best shape in years.

Bob
    Using resistance training to keep you in condition for riding the bike is what it is good for. For me, if I skip the "conditioning" stuff, I won't be on the bike much. Too many muscle imbalances, tight hip flexors, etc.

You will not bulk up from anything on James' site.

Larry

mtbr member
    I've been thinking about DB combos... quick question, what kind of equipment do you need?
    I see most of his work outs use Kettle bells, is this true with the DB Combo? will resistance tubes work?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You need dumbells. He tells you how to determine your starting weight for that in the program. I started with two 10 pound dumbells as the focus is not to pound as much weight as possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    You need dumbells. He tells you how to determine your starting weight for that in the program. I started with two 10 pound dumbells as the focus is not to pound as much weight as possible.
    Good to know...thanks