mtbr member

Day after the race

It's the day after my race and I'm feeling sore, should I just take the day off or go for a lazy spin on the trails?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I find that an easy recovery ride helps with soreness but YMMV.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I prefer to ride the day after I race. But If im racing every weekend, thats usually where I take my day off. Rest monday, workout tuesday, little workout wednesday, then taper and do it again.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Giant Anthem
    I usually can't get motivated enough to ride the day after a race but it's only because of being lazy. A short super easy spin ride the day after a race really helps me with recovery and gets me ready for a tuesday key workout.
    Racing and Training Blog
    http://dirtandgears.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i like to do an easy trail run in the woods, or a little ride/run or rollerski. Doing some upper body work is fine too.

XC Hack
    Dec 2011
    I feel better taking our dog on a trail hike/run rather than riding again. Maybe because it works me out a bit but slightly diff use of muscles?

mtbr member
    Where I live we race on Saturdays, so Sunday I usually do a big volume Z2 day (2-3 hours, rarely 4), or sit in on a long road group ride. I keep Sunday short on a rest week, and always take Monday off.
    Head Coach, Ben Lomond HS MTB Team
    www.utahmtb.org
    Cycling Team and local Club:
    http://www.roostersbikersedge.com/

Always pushing harder!!!
    some people do the recovery ride right after the race...some the day after...I like to do 2 hours or a bit less at Z2 and mix it with some core workouts...

But not everyone is the same...

mnoutain bkie rdier
    yes....go ride. at the very least, move.

mtbr member
    Ride, yes. How long and the intensity depends on how long the race was. Typical sub 2 hour XC race I will do a long Z2 ride. If the race was an enduro 5-8 hour, 100 miler or the like, I will spin easy for an hour.

This movement I have found helps tremendously! After the longer races I will take the day off 2 days after the race. I find that I feel fairly close to normal the third day after the race and resume my normal training plan at that point.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good variety of tips here. Thanks, ya'll.

Ever since racing DH in college, I've taken my old coach's advice, and jog a mile or two directly after races and really hard training rides. I've found that keeps me from getting sore. Also, I have a rolling pin that I use to work over my quads at night--really--and get my girl to do my hams; that gets rid of the lactic acid, supposedly.

Also... I drink a pineapple/blueberry/cherry juice smoothie (cheap frozen fruit from Trader Joes) when I get home; it's kinda a reward, and a doctor friend said it could help muscle recovery...any reason is a good one to drink that concoction.

But, to answer your question, I definitely suggest riding on the day after. I usually focus on form then, building muscle memory so I can more properly take stuff I might struggle with, like technical climbs or switchbacks.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by bisicklay View Post
    Also... I drink a pineapple/blueberry/cherry juice smoothie (cheap frozen fruit from Trader Joes) when I get home; it's kinda a reward, and a doctor friend said it could help muscle recovery...any reason is a good one to drink that concoction.
    You doctor is right. But try to get that smoothie or high glycemic index carbohydrate snack immediately post exercise. Thats when your body needs it most
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens