Alright, let's ride!

Data from yesterday's race........

Just thought I would post a picture to show what my heart goes through during the course of a race. This was from yesterday's race at Bob Evan's Farm in Rio Grande, OH. The course was awesome and the people were great! Can't wait to go back next year.

This is my highest average heart rate to date. It seems like I can handle a little more every race. At the start of this season my average heart rate was in the 165 - 168 range.

Anyway, here it is. Check out how close my average heart rate was to my max heart rate.

*Red is heart rate, blue is altitude.
    Don't bring me down..........

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you are an animal dude. keep up whatever training you are doing. for 35 (assuming) that is really good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice chart. You certainly are giving your heart a work out.

Is that a one lap race? I can't make out a pattern of serveral laps. How long in miles was the race?

XCdude

Nice graph , your chart proves what Morris

says about MTB racing, basically you go balls to the wall the whole race. I see you are using the peaks software, what monitor are you using. I planning on making some more bike related invesments this winter

Alright, let's ride!
    Actually I'm just 31, feel like 35 at times though. Then at other times I feel like I'm 16, go figure.

It was a 13 mile race, two laps. Unfortunately my second lap took me four minutes longer than my first. I was actually having a pretty bad day out there.

Yep, I'm using training peaks. It's a great way for me to send my information straight to my coach. On my mountain bike I'm using a Polar S725 heart rate monitor. On my roadie I use a PowerTap SL.

MTB B'dos
    Yeh two lap race, you can see where the second lap starts at right about 33 mins. It's just the barometric altimeter that isn't so accurate on the Polar, but if you look close you can see it's a repeat. Nice Avg HR, I know the feeling although not for so long, I managed 178 for 39mins in a road race a couple months back - even though the 2nd lap took longer, how'd you feel after? What's your calculated Max HR, not what's the max you hit while riding?

Back last summer I hit my max of 199 while on my fav trail, but since then I've gotten fitter and even on that trail pushing it I don't see about 185 generally either - although in that damn "fun ride" I did see 194, just felt like caca and legs wouldn't really work (think I didn't do a good enough warm up.

I attached a jpeg of that race - light blue's HR, Dark blue's speed and magenta is altitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LyNx; 09-19-2006 at 04:53 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Alright, let's ride!
    I felt terrible after the race, actually I felt terrible during the race. I got sick twice during the race where some items that were inside my stomach decided they would prefer to be outside. Who was I to convince them otherwise.

My max is around 185 - 188. I have hit higher a few times but those instances were exceptions. I actually need to redo my zones. These zones are based on my threshold level that was done on my road bike a few months back. My "threshold" (30 minutes) is 167.

What sucks is that even though I can now handle a higher heart rate I am getting slower. I think my body is just wore out and ready for a break. I have been racing since February, so far I have done 21 races this year. Before this year I had done a total of 19 races in the three previous years combined. My body isn't used to this much stress. Anyway, one more race to go then I can get some much needed "rest".

Oh yeah, I did about a 20 minute warm up on the trainer before the race. Unfortunately I had to stand around for about 20 minutes or so after I got off the trainer during the pre-race meeting so my legs started stiffening back up.

MTB B'dos
    Same with me, although I unfortunately don't get to race. I found that in that "fun ride" I felt OK, but my legs just felt like lead and I couldn't get going once the lead pack got away, yet still easily maintained that high a HR and not a bad avg speed.

I've got one more "fun ride" coming up in October and then like you I'll be taking a rest as I've put in over 3,200 miles for the year and over 50% of that off-road. Good thign is though although I seem to be feeling slower I am getting a bit faster and a lot fitter. Next year I'll be doing some seriously regimented training with tight guidelines to get ready for the Park City 100 in August.

Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    ..............What sucks is that even though I can now handle a higher heart rate I am getting slower. .
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Members who have read this thread: 0