President of the Internet

Cytomax Kills My Stomach, Any Good Alternatives?

I really dig what Cytomax does for my muscles, but lately it has given me a mean upset stomach every time I use it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good alternative that won't kill my tummy?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

How much are you using

The Cytomax has a buffer in it that is suppose to help keep you from getting an upset stomach. How much are you mixing with. You may want to just try cutting back on the powder to make it a little weaker and see if that works.

i'm fine with cytomax on a short (2 hour) XC ride, but any more than one small bottle and I have a serious situation.
    Clif products are much more gentle, but doesn't seem to buffer the lactic acid like cytomax...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try Hammer HEED. Easier on the stomache, no simple sugars that can mess up your stomach. Lightly flavored so that it still tastes good when it is warm.

I'm not over mixing

On my last ride I mixed about a quarter of the recommended dose to see if it helped and I still got a bad stomach ache. I'm slightly Lactose intolerant, I wonder if that could effect it?

Metalheadbikerider

Good 'ol Gatorade

I had problems with Cytomax and major phlegm so I switched to the Gatorade powder. It's cheaper and seems to be just as effective as the more expensive energy/recovery/whatever drinks.
    Support mtb'ing in the Portland area, join NWTA with your dollars, hands, and/or voice. nw-trail.org

Twin Six METAL

I second the HEED recommendation

Heed is great, it isn't made up of sugars. It's almost only sweetened by long chain carbs, which are better for you than simple carbs which most of the other drinks have. Give it a try.
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

gearhead
    Dec 2004
    Do not undermix - you'll be shorting youself on electrolytes and/or calories. You're better off switching to a different mix.

There are several Hammer advocates on these forums - keep in mind this is a personal type thing. For me, Heed causes way more stomach ailments than anything else (ESPECIALLY when following their "advice" of not using anything other than Hammer stuff). And its sodium content is way low - hence the need for endurolytes. As always YMMV.

Lots of alternatives to try. Some of my favorites: Cliff (apple with caffeine), Gatorade edurance, Power bar's drink mix, Enervit G.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    accelerade seems to work for me. Cytomax acts weirdy w/ my stomach too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Hammer HEED!!!!!!!!!!

Hammer HEED gave me no stomach problems and I have to watch what I eat! I tried 1st Endurance E3 but that upset my stomach but I love Ultragen for recovery!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Gatorade Endurance Formula or try Infinit Nutrition. IN is cool because you can make your own mixes based on electrolyte and caloric needs.

HEED it is

I bought some HEED. Gonna give that try, then I guess I'll just keep on down the line if it doesn't sit well with me. Seems like a lot of people dig the HEED.

Thanks to all for the help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I switched to PowerBar Endurance drink mix after getting stomach problems from other drinks. I have been happy with it. They also have a recovery drink for post ride.

Now broadcasting from CO

A little late but...

I found that experimenting w/ Cytomax flavors solved my upset stomach problem. I switched from the "Go Grape" to the "Cool Citrus" mid-season last year and stopped having stomach problems. I think the flavor of the grape was just to much for me. My impetus for switching was a 6hr race where I didn't eat anything 'cause it was so hot and my stomach felt like crap. the citrus flavor works much better for my stomach; it seems to be a little lighter. If you don't like the HEED then try flavor experimentation... $.02
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    TUMS ! nuff said ... problems gone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    A lot of the energy drinks have whey in them, a milk product, so if you are lactose intolerant then they will bother you. I am lactose intolerant and drink GU2O, no whey.

So look at the ingredients - pretty sure Cytomax has whey.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by simoncpj
    So look at the ingredients - pretty sure Cytomax has whey.
    No whey in Cytomax (got a can right next to me). I'm allergic to dairy so that would be a huge problem for me. I would be blowing chunks all over the course...
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    HEED is the SH!T!

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EPTX_RIDER
    HEED is the SH!T!
    Non-native and non-young speaker here, needs translation. Is that a positive or negative comment? Bad because the plain variety has no taste?

Ali

I believe he means

He likes it. (Sh!t = bad, The Sh!t = good)

So far I have used HEED twice with no stomach aches or cramps! So that is a big plus!

As far as performance - its seems to be working, but hard to tell. I haven't done any big rides that kicked my ass yet.

BTW - Hammer is a cool company. I ordered straight from them and they called me after I ordered just to see if I had any questions. They also sent me a bunch of FREE samples of their other products. Very cool.