Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Cyclocross bikes in XC races

hi guys

I have not seen this in my part of the woods but i reckon this could start to pick up in time esp in races where the terrain is generally flatter and more gentle.

What do you guys think? I have not actually ridden a cyclocross bike before but i do road rides pretty often and cant help but think this could start to pick up in the way the 29ner race hard tail has.

Im sure there will be some raised eyebrows and gaping mouths if a cyclocross bike does a podium finish on an XC race!

Dirty South Underdog
    Some races have rules against them.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Which means they are actually faster? So far i read the rules in my nearby races and it just says bikes with wheels max size 29 inches

AZ
    banned
    If they were superior dont you think the majority of racers would be on them ?

In the rear with the beer
    forget formal rules, its just morally wrong

Dirty South Underdog
    Quote Originally Posted by usuckpoo
    Which means they are actually faster? So far i read the rules in my nearby races and it just says bikes with wheels max size 29 inches
    On a smooth (no roots/rocks), dry course, yes, it would likely be faster.

LA CHÈVRE
    They're only faster if there are no rocks, no roots, no super steep climbs, no technical stuff... not much fun for mountain biking.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    If they were superior dont you think the majority of racers would be on them ?

Good point. but theres always a herd biasedness in everyone. It took a while for 29ners to catch on too. I recognize they wont shine everywhere and arent everyone's cup of tea either. But it was an objective question of whether these things are fast enough in specific conditions for people to use them in certain races - very similar to how xc racers ride hardtails in certain races and short travel fs bikes in others.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by usuckpoo
    Good point. but theres always a herd biasedness in everyone. It took a while for 29ners to catch on too. I recognize they wont shine everywhere and arent everyone's cup of tea either. But it was an objective question of whether these things are fast enough in specific conditions for people to use them in certain races - very similar to how xc racers ride hardtails in certain races and short travel fs bikes in others.

I am sure that there may be a certain race corse that favors a cx bike , And if the rules dont preclude it from competing that it would be the weapon of choise . Dont hold your breath waiting for the perfect storm though .

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Faster on a smooth flat section... maybe. Faster through fast technical single track... prob not. Overall, handling on a mtb will be much superior than a CC bike.

so my guess...not.
    ~every end is a new beginning...

Lusus Naturae
    I've seen many of them on race courses that are hardpack and quick, although most racers prefer the mountain bike if its a MTB race since the conditions are more treacherous. That being said, I also see lots of hardcore mofos on fully rigid mountain bikes with or without 29" wheels.

Most races it doesnt seem to matter but races like Sea Otter classic may not care for it. I haven't read the rules yet.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You can race Cross Bikes if you want to at a MTB race.

I don't know why you would want to. I have never been on a MTB course where a cross bike would be anywhere near competitive.

Remember it is cross that has rules against using MTBs not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Good point that.

"Remember it is cross that has rules against using MTBs not the other way around."

I've not ridden one before, so just wondering how riding these on trails actually feel like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I cannot...

think of a single XC race course in my memory where a cross bike would have a speed advantage over a MTB. One of my riding partners sometimes takes his cross bikes out on the easier trails around here with me, these are pretty easy trails, but he still loses ground fast on anything even slightly downhill. Even on the flats and climbs, the cross bike is slower unless the surface is totally smooth hardpack; a few roots and rocks really bounce a cross bike around pretty badly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    They're only faster if there are no rocks, no roots, no super steep climbs, no technical stuff... not much fun for mountain biking.
    Yes, any course like would not get many entries. Who wants to ride a course like that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    You can race Cross Bikes if you want to at a MTB race.

I don't know why you would want to. I have never been on a MTB course where a cross bike would be anywhere near competitive.

Remember it is cross that has rules against using MTBs not the other way around.
    every MTB race I've entered hasn't allowed cross bikes. Well they've allowed them, but they would not be eligible for awards. Maybe it's because where I am on the east coast the trails aren't too difficult, but take it fwiw.

Dirty South Underdog
    MTB are allowed in CX races as long as you remove the bar-ends. That's just a general rule for all road/cx mass start races (any forward-reaching extensions of the handlebars are not allowed).

ups and downs
    If nothing else it would add some demolition derby spectator appeal on a course like Mont Sainte Anne. That can be a big enough challenge on a MTB, especially with a bit of precip on the trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyclocross bikes in XC races-2009_0726new0128.jpg  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I've seen CX bikes at our mountain bike races. Everyone has covered it above, they are fast on smooth terrain and a burden on rough terrain. Given that a proper mountain bike race should have some ugly in it, the CX bike is usually not the best tool for the job. But as far as I know there are no rules excluding CX bikes at MTB races.
    I got stuck behind a guy on a CX bike entering a singletrack section at our first race of '09. I totally caught up to him and got stuck behind him until I could find a good place to pass. After that singletrack section came a longish stretch of relatively smooth double track. CX guy eventually caught up, came around, and dropped me in that section.... Not saying it was just the bike but it was definitely where his bike was most well suited.
    A US national CX coach lives here in Helena, MT. He does the occasional mountain bike race and many times on a cross bike. He would always get flat tires and also have some crashes. Our top local roadies and CX guys also hit the singletrack all the time on their CX bikes for fun.

Weird Eh
    I`ve seen CX bikes in both the Chequamegon ( WI) and the Ore to Shore( MI) both are 40+ mile non techenical mtb races.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep, you'll see them in the point to point midwest races. But those are really non technical (as mentioned). Also some short track races I've seen them used. 34mm Dugast Rhinos at 20 psi have a surprising amount of grip!

bi-winning
    From what I have observed, more often than not, XC race + CX bike = DNF due to flatting.

I've done the Liberty! Bicycles Off Road Squeezer on a CX bike. The course is a mix of singletrack, doubletrack, and pavement. Basically, on any stretch of trail that was smooth, it was hammer time, and the CX bike was faster. Any time the trail got rough at all, I really had to tone it back, and wait for things to smooth out again before I could put some real power down. I had to run insanely high tire pressure to prevent flatting on rocky sections. My hands were killing me at the end of the race from the vibrations.

When all was said and done, I was a little slower on the CX bike. It was fun, but I probably would not do it again.

I've also done a local Wednesday night race (L!B 8x12) on my CX bike. The course is almost entirely smooth singletrack. On that day, I did not race at 100%, I just followed my buddy around and heckled him the whole race - leading to his best finish of the year. The lighter weight was great on the climbs, and since it is only a 35 min race, it was not too painful.

So, there are some courses that may make a CX bike an option (not usually the best one) but, trying to race a CX bike in the provincial XC series would just be a horrible idea.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you're a race organizer and cyclo bikes start taking the podium, redesign your course. In the NM series they are mostly allowed though prohibited on at least one of the hill climbs (no drop bars).

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You should be able to race any type of bike you want in a MTB race, as long as it is safe.

Only roadies restrict equipment. If a cross bike is the fastest bike on a course then you should be allowed to race it. As I said though I am yet to be on a MTB course where a cross bike is faster.

Generally I find my MTB is superior on:
    - climbs
    - descents
    - and rough flats.

The cross bike is superior on:
    -flat corners
    -smooth flats.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    MTB are allowed in CX races as long as you remove the bar-ends.
    Maybe in your local series, but not in UCI points races.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast