mtbr member

New question here. CycleOps 9400 Electronic Trainer

I checked the product reviews on this and there aren't any. Anyone here try out the power unit on this new trainer? I contacted the tech support to get a finite power and this was their reply for all those that are wondering:

That's not a simple answer. Only a small portion of our rides are directly programmable by Watts, and those go up to 500 Watts, which is more than anyone can sustain for much more than a minute anyway. The rides that allow direct power settings are intended for use as zone 2- zone 4 style rides, where cyclists are typically producing 150-350 watts and TT practice, where top riders may approach 400 Watts. Our interval style rides, where riders will do shorter harder efforts, are all controlled by level or gradient (to better simulate riding outside). The max power on these rides is mostly dependent on how fast the rider is pedaling, and the gear he/she is in. We have set the max sustainable power at 700 Watts while the max peak power is basically infinite and depends on rider speed. Peak power can be held for 5 seconds before the trainer lowers resistance to 700 W. I have seen numbers in the 1100-1200 range on my test stand but it tops out at a relatively slow 37 mph. It should be able to provide about 1400-1500 watts at sprint speeds of 40-42 mph, which is about the speeds seen by sprinters who can maintain that kind of power.

Has anyone bought this unit yet and paid close attention to the recorded power? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokejunky
    Has anyone bought this unit yet and paid close attention to the recorded power? Thanks in advance.
    I have not bought it, but I browsed through the manual at the local shop and I have asked the Graber Power Tap manager about it.

If you're concerned about it being able to provide enough resistance for high intensity efforts, I think the answer, based on the response you got, was basically, "no problem." I personally would not have any doubts that it could handle big wattage.

Regarding accuracy, I've been told that this unit's accuracy (as far as wattage goes) is roughly +/- 10%, which is similar to the Tacx electronic trainers (Flow and Magic). It will not be as accurate as a Power Tap wheel or SRM crank, which are more like +/- 1.5-3%.