mtbr member

CTS field test -> LTHR -> HR zones

I know this has been answered a million times. I know I've seen it about half a million. It's just that now when I want to use the information, I can't find it. Argh!

Right now the zones in my Garmin are just based off its idea of what my max HR might be. I'd like it to display something moderately more useful.

I took the CTS field test (two 8 minute max efforts) and recorded the higher average HR.

1) Can I use that number as an estimate of LTHR or do I need to convert it somehow?

2) I have found many charts for creating zones as a percentage of LTHR, and some of them contradict each other. Which one has the best reputation?

So, this doesn't have to be perfect. But I do want useful zones. Help?

mtbr member
    The mtbr forum search is still broken.

The 8 minute time trial Carmichael test is apparently to find roughly your Lactate Threshold Heart Rate plus about 10%.

There are lots of different heart rate training zones. I'd suggest initally using the ones that go with the training plan you intend to use. If you're going to be basing your training on a plan such as the ones in the Time Crunched Cyclist book then do a CTS field test and use the Carmichael training zones.

LTHR Test Findings, Need Help

Carmichael Heart Rate Zones for entering into your Garmin.
    http://www.trainright.com/assets/dow...ptions2010.pdf

If you're going to be basing your training on a different plan (such as one of the Joe Friel books) then use the recommended field test protocol and training zones from that instead.
    Last edited by WR304; 03-03-2012 at 03:00 PM.