Thread: Crow Questions

Twin Six METAL

Crow Questions

What pressure are you running your crows at (tubeless)? How much do you weigh? What are your impressions of the tire? What are they good on, what do they suck on?

Thanks,
    Mark
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Please use x-post reference.
    Post one thread.

mtbr member
    Mark,

ask James and Jay on the team site. I think they both ran them last weekend in Huntsville on the rear of their 29ers. I think they said they were miserable on the front end, but worked well in the rear. BTW, Huntsville was a very fast course with some hardpack, some sand, and LOTS of roots.

Ian Hall
    Team NRC/Pedalmasher

Twin Six METAL
    Ian,
    what's up man? I spoke w/ James yesterday, he convinced me to buy them, I'm interested in pressures people are running them versus their weight and how they're performing. James said he ran them around 20psi and has seen them run as low as 15psi, that's crazy low, likerim denting low! James couldn't say enough good things about them.

Mark

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Those tires are horrible IMHO. I got 2 rides out of them before i pinch flatted one in 2 spots (4 holes) and ripped the sidewall open on the other. This was tubeless and both tires are ruined beyond use. I tried various pressures and the only way i could get reasonable traction was @ around 35lbs. Of course, i pinch flatted at that pressure so dont ride on a trail with rocks. Whoever told you they arent great for the front is 100% correct. I've been running tires such as the Kenda Small Block 8 and Maxxis Larsen Mimo in a 1.95 for a while now with no issues. They have cornering traction hand over fist on the Crow and i consider those fast rolling low traction tires. I've also never had sidewall/pinch flat issues with those tires, other than pinching tubes. I'm switching back to the Small Block 8. DONT run these tires on anything remotely loose. You'll be suprised how fast these things will dart out from under you. BTW, i'm 170lbs if that matters. They were mounted on DT-Swiss XR-1540 wheels and i ride a hardtail single speed with a suspension fork. I posted up on Stans No-Tube's website. They have a message forum and i explained my situation. Their reply was that my rims were too tall, causing the pinch flat. They also said the gash in the sidewall was just bad luck. They said the sidewall is just as thick as the Small Block 8 (which isnt a tubeless tire like the Crow, btw.). They also suggested running lower air pressure, which i'm sure would have really helped the pinch flat situation.
    sorry for the rant but i truely believe that these tires aren't safe for use on anything remotely close to mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I used them for 2 races in the dead of summer. Incredible on hardpack at 25 PSI. Crap on loose-over-hardpack, mud, etc. I weigh 145 lbs, and 25 PSI rocked. They are extremely light, and if I were to run them again, I think I would put something with more tread on the front end. Mud is a no-no for these. Get something narrower and with tread.

The only place I would run them on both ends is @ Infineon in Sonoma. Oh wait, that's a road course anyway

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zhen
    I used them for 2 races in the dead of summer. Incredible on hardpack at 25 PSI. Crap on loose-over-hardpack, mud, etc. I weigh 145 lbs, and 25 PSI rocked. They are extremely light, and if I were to run them again, I think I would put something with more tread on the front end. Mud is a no-no for these. Get something narrower and with tread.

The only place I would run them on both ends is @ Infineon in Sonoma. Oh wait, that's a road course anyway
    i dunno, i've had them send me into a fence on a hard packed birmed corner that i've been riding 1-3 times a week since i started riding without incidence. i also have burping problems, probably partially caused by my weight. I cant seem to run any lower than 30-35psi without breaking the bead in a corner or on a semi hard hit. I've actually burped the hell out of the front one @ around 40psi under heavy braking.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by sworkspilot
    What pressure are you running your crows at (tubeless)? How much do you weigh? What are your impressions of the tire? What are they good on, what do they suck on?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Great on buff XC singletrack for racing. I swapped between the Crows, Kenda Karma 1.9's and Nanoraptors for racing this past season (all in the 29"er versions). The Crows and Karmas both weigh the same and I chose based on the course demands. I've run them in combo or usually when running the Crows I have them both front and rear.

No problems running the Crows 20 - 38 psi. I weigh 182. The lower pressures were used for steeper and dried out courses where traction demands increased. If the going gets wet beyond a little surface moisture where you can't cut through to dry dirt underneath - I wouldn't use the Crows. Also on dry and really loose super steep stuff types of courses - best to mount another tread with more bite. I've never raced or ridden them on sharp rock terrain, so can't comment but assume others experience of trying that is valid. Surprisingly so, my best races with the Crows were on leaf covered singletrack, singletrack with lots of sand and open (no trees) dirt trails following a morning rain (enough mud to create some concern, but not enough to have me switch tires).

Not an all condition tire by any means, but if your terrain fits the profile - these tires are fast and light. In spite of the visual of the tread, they grip a lot better than one would think.

BB

Twin Six METAL

Crow Report

Just to keep you all up to date, I ran the Crow this weekend at the Atilla the Hun race in Hot Springs, Arkansas. It was great. I ran it at 28psi, I weigh about 180-185 dressed to ride. It looks like a tire that will suck everywhere but on asphalt, but don't let the looks decieve you, this tire ROCKS!!! It hooked up everywhere. Even places that a teammate was having trouble with big knobbies. Even in the slick, wet, muddy areas, it held it's own. I am sold on this tire. I ran it only on the rear, up front I had a Specialized Fast Trak. I ran the Fast Trak at 32 psi. The combo was deadly. I took off at the start and didn't look back. This tire was great, and I'm positive that it helped me to pull off the win.

If you have any questions about the tire, fire away, I'll let you know anything I can answer about them.

On a side note, I purchased two of them the first one I mounted had a bad seepage problem just above the bead all the way around on both tires. I've been told that it would fix itself over the course of a couple days with stans in it, but I didn't have that much time. DHL screwed up and I didn't receive them until 2 days before the race. So the night before the race I mounted up the 2nd one, and it sealed up within an hour, no seepage. No lost pressure in the race. No burps, no flats.

Members who have read this thread: 0